COMPLETE: Writings of Samuel Adams, Vol 2 by Samuel Adams-lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Bruce0McFadden wrote: June 17th, 2021, 8:42 am I volunteered to read section 17 of Sam Adams. I have questions on how to read these examples. First-- "2 it was absurd to suppose ". I recognize this as a numbered footnote, but how do I voice it? My inclination is: (soto voice) "Foot note two": then immediately read the corresponding footnote also in soto voice, and then return to the body of the text in my normal speaking voice. Will that work for you?

Also, how do I voice words that show beginning letters and are followed buy a few dashes: "H——-h"? Thanks!

Bruce0McFadden
Bruce,

Two great questions. As for the footnotes, the standard for this book is to completely leave out the foot note. You don't need to make any reference to it at all. The second question, so far, is unique. It is the first time he (or the editors of his writings) have done this. I know in other readings, the author will often just use an initial and a blank if he didn't want (or so it seems) to fully identify the person. I think that in this case we will use the same policy. Just say "Lord H" or "state come MEDIATELY from the K" for example.

For future reference, you did exactly the correct thing. I you ever have any question about how to say something, or approach an unusual circumstance like this, just ask. If you happen to do any dramatic readings or plays here, the same goes for the pronunciation of names. We try to keep them consistent throughout the play.

I am looking forward to listening to your reading.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Bruce0McFadden

Post by Bruce0McFadden »

Wayne,
Thanks for helping me. That is very clear direction.
Bruce0McFadden
Bible Student and Husband of "The Lovely Linda" :9:
Bruce0McFadden

Post by Bruce0McFadden »

Sorry...I should have asked this with the first two questions: how should I voice quotation marks and parentheses?

Bruce0McFadden
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Bruce0McFadden wrote: June 18th, 2021, 10:48 am Sorry...I should have asked this with the first two questions: how should I voice quotation marks and parentheses?

Bruce0McFadden
Two more good questions. The standard for this one is that do your best to note the difference using a slight pause then a slight change in voice. If you want to see how others have done it, you can listen to a couple of examples in the ones already posted. It really seems to work. In the parentheses, I usually kind of drop the vocal range a little. You can experiment a little. Try, and then listen to yourself.

Good luck,

Wayne
Wayne
Bruce0McFadden

Post by Bruce0McFadden »

Got it, thanks!

Bruce0McFadden
Bruce0McFadden

Post by Bruce0McFadden »

I uploaded this file:
Writings of Samuel Adams, Vol 2, Section 17
TRT- 12:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/SamuelAdamsv2_17_adams_128kb.mp3

Bruce0McFadden
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Bruce0McFadden wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 1:05 pm I uploaded this file:
Writings of Samuel Adams, Vol 2, Section 17
TRT- 12:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/SamuelAdamsv2_17_adams_128kb.mp3

Bruce0McFadden
Bruce,

Great recording. I was already to give it PLOK, but right at the end you added something that should be deleted.

12:04 End of recording needs to be deleted. Remember, in the intros and outgos, only say what is mentioned in the instructions. This is designed to keep all the recordings uniform.

Make that one change and all will be OK.

Wayne

P.S. Just one small comment. Try getting just a little farther back from your mic. I think that will make your recording even easier to listen too. :D
Wayne
Bruce0McFadden

Post by Bruce0McFadden »

Here is the corrected file on my recording of Samuel Adams, Vol2 Section 17:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/SamuelAdamsV2_17_adams_128kb.mp3
TRT 12:15

Thank you for the mic technique suggestion -- and also for shepherding us through the recording process!

Bruce0McFadden
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I'd like to take sections 84, 85, and 92, if they aren't already taken.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Bruce0McFadden wrote: June 28th, 2021, 9:40 am Here is the corrected file on my recording of Samuel Adams, Vol2 Section 17:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/SamuelAdamsV2_17_adams_128kb.mp3
TRT 12:15

Thank you for the mic technique suggestion -- and also for shepherding us through the recording process!

Bruce0McFadden
Bruce,

You're welcome, my pleasure and now Section 17 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Lector1 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 10:50 am I'd like to take sections 84, 85, and 92, if they aren't already taken.
They are all your. Have fun.

Wayne
Wayne
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Lector1,

First of all, thank you for joining us in this worthy endeavor.

Edit: I wrote all of the below, and then I thought I would go back and listen to some of your other recordings and see if this is a 'new' problem, but I see that you and Amy have had some of the same conversations that I was approaching in the below. So, I really don't have any more ideas. Are you using a desktop or a laptop? As someone mentioned, are you using battery or AC? Can you think of any difference in any way between when you recorded the first two (which were very similar in background hum) and the third one, which was MUCH louder?

As I listened to each of your recordings, one thing jumped out right at the beginning of the first one. Throughout all three of your recordings there is a very distracting, and almost painful, high pitched hum. It is even louder in the third one. As I downloaded it into Audacity to listen to it, it showed up in the Audacity screen immediately. In the third one, it was extreme. Did you have a chance to run them through the Checker program? It shows your background noise as over the LV limits, but the noise was much more noticeable than those numbers would indicate. I really have no idea what the problem is. Can you hear it when you listen to it through headphones? I used Noise Reduction twice on the first two, and selecting the most obvious locations (I will note them below), I was able to get the hum/buzz down to a level where it was acceptable, but on the last one even three attempts didn't get it down enough. Maybe you can do some research, or try and see if you can figure out what the source is.

Now down to the reading itself.

Section 84

:28.5 One The numbers refer to the footnotes at the bottom of the section. As we are not referring to the footnotes at all, you just ignore the numbers totally.

3:32.5 "Signd by order of the Committee for Correspondence in Boston William Cooper, Clerk." Even though it seems logical to add this, to maintain the consistency throughout the reading of the book, since this is part of a footnote, we will just leave it out, so if you could just delete it and adjust the time accordingly, that would be great.

Section 85

1:28 At this point there is a increase in volume, and also an corresponding increase in the back ground high pitch 'whine'.

2:42 Addressed to "Joseph Warren Esq & others a Committee of Correspondence for the Town of Plymouth." As noted above, as part of a footnote, please delete this. Thanks.

Section 92

The first thing is that you slightly missed on the file name. You forgot the v2 at the end of the title of the book.

:26 Again, the footnote reference. Please delete.

1:09.5 Please delete this footnote. Thanks.

I don't know what other advise to give you concerning the noise problem.

Keep on trying. Keep on investigating. Don't give up.

Wayne
Wayne
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Here's the revised versions of sections 84 and 85:

84: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_84_adams_128kb.mp3

85: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_85_adams_128kb.mp3

I'm still working on cleaning up the background noise for 92. I did a large noise reduction but this messed up the quality of the sound. I think the problem might be my computer. I never have been able to get rid of the interference, even after I switched to a new mic, and all the mics I've used have been external. I'll have to play around with noise reduction to see what I can do to get rid of the background noise without hurting the quality of the sound. Sorry about this!
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I think I might have managed to solve the problem of getting rid of the background noise while preserving quality. I just finished up a recording for another project and I reduced the background noise by setting the frequency smoothing bands really high. It seems to get rid of the noise while preserving quality. I might have to re-record section 92.