[COMPLETE]The Wrong of Slavery by Robert Dale Owen-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

The wrong of slavery, the right of emancipation, and the future of the African race in the United States by Robert Dale Owen (1801 - 1877).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-wrong-of-slavery-by-robert-dale-owen/
The Wrong of Slavery, the Right of Emancipation, and the Future of the African Race in the United States is a book written in 1864 by Robert Dale Owen. He was appointed by Secretary Edwin Stanton to work on the American Freedmen's Inquiry Commission tasked with investigating the condition of freedmen of African descent, together with Samuel Gridley Howe and James McKaye.

The book argues for emancipation of slaves, including the constitutionality of emancipation. Several chapters lay out the history of transportation of slaves out of Africa, the role of enslavement of Native Americans in the United States, and the reciprocal societal influence of each race on the other. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrong_of_Slavery,_the_Right_of_Emancipation,_and_the_Future_of_the_African_Race_in_the_United_States )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/wrongofslaveryri00owen
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: abolitionism

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Wrong of Slavery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Wrong of Slavery, the Right of Emancipation, and the Future of the African Race in the United States, by Robert Dale Owen. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Wrong of Slavery, the Right of Emancipation, and the Future of the African Race in the United States, by Robert Dale Owen. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      thewrongofslavery_##_owen_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. thewrongofslavery_01_owen_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Robert Dale Owen
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The wrong of slavery, the right of emancipation, and the future of the African race in the United States

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by progressingamerica on July 16th, 2020, 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll set this up for you. Do you still need a DPL?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Are you taking requests yet? If so, I'd like to recording the Preface and Chapter 1.
fried1259

Post by fried1259 »

Thank you everybody for getting this set up and ready to go! Here are the two files I completed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_02_owen_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_03_owen_128kb.mp3

The paragraph on page 19 is recorded as an introduction because it is prior to Chapter 1 and its after the Preface. Wasn't sure what else to do with it. Additionally, in the beginning of Chapter 1 (part 1) I read in the table of contents on page 11. It seemed to really set the tone and I think the table of contents will be even more useful for setting the tone on some of the larger chapters. I hope others will agree.

I've been attempting to work on the second chapter (part 1), but I don't really like how it comes out when I record in segments over a day or two and the editing is not fun. But I have had trouble recording that much in one sitting without too many errors. I will try again later this week. I am finding out that I'm more of a perfectionist than I thought I was.
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

I, too am interested in claiming a section or two if claims are being allowed. Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

fried1259 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 4:33 pm Thank you everybody for getting this set up and ready to go! Here are the two files I completed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_02_owen_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_03_owen_128kb.mp3

The paragraph on page 19 is recorded as an introduction because it is prior to Chapter 1 and its after the Preface. Wasn't sure what else to do with it. Additionally, in the beginning of Chapter 1 (part 1) I read in the table of contents on page 11. It seemed to really set the tone and I think the table of contents will be even more useful for setting the tone on some of the larger chapters. I hope others will agree.

I've been attempting to work on the second chapter (part 1), but I don't really like how it comes out when I record in segments over a day or two and the editing is not fun. But I have had trouble recording that much in one sitting without too many errors. I will try again later this week. I am finding out that I'm more of a perfectionist than I thought I was.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I love your enthusiasm, but I need you to slow down! :lol:

Please go back to the first post above, and read it a bit more carefully. This group project is still being set up by the BC (book coordinator; in this case progressingamerica). It is not yet ready for claims, much less for fully-recorded chapters. Before you record anything else, you need to:
  1. Post in the project thread indicating which section(s) you would like to record.
  2. Wait to have your claim acknowledged by the BC.
This paves the way for clear communication between everyone involved, and also prevents the possibility of duplicating anyone else's work, for example, two people both recording the same section due to a lack of communication.

It's also a good idea to ask the BC about any "gray areas" that might crop up in your section, such as whether or not to read the table of contents. There may of course be exceptions, but I don't know of any project in which we've included it. :? I fear that may have been wasted work on your part. Please wait until you hear from progressingamerica before you do anything else.
progressingamerica

The MW is set up. If there are any corrections that should be made to it let me know. The chapters are assigned according to those requesting. The two already complete marked as ready for PL.
mightyfelix wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:37 amI'll set this up for you. Do you still need a DPL?
Yes, a DPL is still needed. Thanks
progressingamerica

KevinS wrote: June 28th, 2020, 10:52 am Are you taking requests yet? If so, I'd like to recording the Preface and Chapter 1.
Assigned for the Preface. Chapter 1 was already worked. Requests can now begin.
Last edited by progressingamerica on June 29th, 2020, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
progressingamerica

vvocelli wrote: June 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm I, too am interested in claiming a section or two if claims are being allowed. Thanks!
Yes, all open chapters should be listed now, ready for anybody. Let me know which you would like.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

progressingamerica wrote: June 29th, 2020, 2:52 pm The MW is set up. If there are any corrections that should be made to it let me know. The chapters are assigned according to those requesting. The two already complete marked as ready for PL.
mightyfelix wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:37 amI'll set this up for you. Do you still need a DPL?
Yes, a DPL is still needed. Thanks
Ok, I've added a tilde to the subject line to let people know we're looking for one. We can hang out here for a day or two more to see if a DPL will come along.

As BC, it's up to you (within reason :wink:) how you want to set up the MW. I will make a suggestion, though. You may wish to include "Part 1" and "Part 2" in the section titles. Nothing from the notes box will be visible on the catalogue page or in Archive. Here are two examples to consider for how this has been done in the past. In one, the part number, chapter number, and chapter title are all in the section name. In the other, some of the titles were far too long to go in as the section name, so they were all appended to the book description. Either way works.

https://librivox.org/faces-in-the-fire-by-frank-w-boreham/
https://librivox.org/twentieth-century-negro-literature-by-daniel-wallace-culp/
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KevinS wrote: June 28th, 2020, 10:52 am Are you taking requests yet? If so, I'd like to recording the Preface and Chapter 1.
Preface

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_00_owen_128kb.mp3 (9:52)

Chapter 1 is someone else's responsibility, I take. That's fine. I'll look forward to doing some other chapter (or chapters) soon.
progressingamerica

mightyfelix wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:17 pmOk, I've added a tilde to the subject line to let people know we're looking for one. We can hang out here for a day or two more to see if a DPL will come along.

As BC, it's up to you (within reason :wink:) how you want to set up the MW. I will make a suggestion, though. You may wish to include "Part 1" and "Part 2" in the section titles. Nothing from the notes box will be visible on the catalogue page or in Archive. Here are two examples to consider for how this has been done in the past. In one, the part number, chapter number, and chapter title are all in the section name. In the other, some of the titles were far too long to go in as the section name, so they were all appended to the book description. Either way works.
This is a great suggestion in consideration of what this will look like once the book is complete. I'll make that change. Also, I noticed a small issue with the file names. Two sections were uploaded one digit off. Can you or someone else fix that or is it up to the uploader to re-upload?

02 needs to be changed to 01, and 03 needs to be changed to 02.
progressingamerica

KevinS wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:33 pmPreface

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_00_owen_128kb.mp3 (9:52)

Chapter 1 is someone else's responsibility, I take. That's fine. I'll look forward to doing some other chapter (or chapters) soon.
Thanks. Everybody is already working on these, I hope you hadn't gotten into chapter 1 yet. When you are ready for another, let me know.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

progressingamerica wrote: June 29th, 2020, 5:24 pm
mightyfelix wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:17 pmOk, I've added a tilde to the subject line to let people know we're looking for one. We can hang out here for a day or two more to see if a DPL will come along.

This is a great suggestion in consideration of what this will look like once the book is complete. I'll make that change. Also, I noticed a small issue with the file names. Two sections were uploaded one digit off. Can you or someone else fix that or is it up to the uploader to re-upload?

02 needs to be changed to 01, and 03 needs to be changed to 02.
I noticed that too. I can change it if necessary, but I'll hold off for now. If there are other issues to correct when these have been PLed, then the file names can be corrected at the same time.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Ch. 5, please.

May I read "Part One, Chapter 5." That makes more sense to me, but I will do as I am told. Or maybe "Chapter 5 of Part One"?