COMPLETE [ANCIENT MEDICINE] Natural History, volume 6, by Pliny the Elder - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-6-by-pliny-the-elder/

Volume 1 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-1-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 2 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-2-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 3 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-3-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 4 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-4-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 5 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-5-by-pliny-the-elder/

The Natural History, volume 6 by Pliny the Elder (AD 23 - August 25, 79) . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley (1773-1846, 1816-1878).
Naturalis Historia (Latin for "Natural History") is an encyclopedia published circa AD 77-79 by Pliny the Elder. It is one of the largest single works to have survived from the Roman empire to the modern day and purports to cover the entire field of ancient knowledge, based on the best authorities available to Pliny. The work became a model for all later encyclopedias in terms of the breadth of subject matter examined, the need to reference original authors, and a comprehensive index list of the contents. The scheme of his great work is vast and comprehensive, being nothing short of an encyclopedia of learning and of art so far as they are connected with nature or draw their materials from nature. The work divides neatly into the organic world of plants and animals, and the realm of inorganic matter, although there are frequent digressions in each section. He is especially interested in not just describing the occurrence of plants, animals and insects, but also their exploitation (or abuse) by man, especially Romans. The description of metals and minerals is particularly detailed, and valuable for the history of science as being the most extensive compilation still available from the ancient world.

This sixth volume includes books twenty six to thirty, covering the following subjects:

Book 26 - The remedies derived from plants, according to the diseases
Book 27 - Description of plants and remedies derived from them
Books 28 to 30 - The remedies derived from living creatures
(Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (but there are links to the specific chapters in the MW below!): https://archive.org/details/naturalhistoryof05plinrich/page/n5
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Please, do not read the footnotes, but do read the titles of chapters and the summary and authors quoted at the end of the book! Thanks! :)

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Natural History, volume 6. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Natural History, volume 6, by Pliny the Elder . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley. Section [number] Book [number], Chapters [number] to [number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Natural History, volume 6, by Pliny the Elder . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    naturalhistoryvolume6_##_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. naturalhistoryvolume6_01_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Window complete, looking for a DPLer and readers. :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
Rennis

Post by Rennis »

Hi Leni!

I realize this project is looking for a DPLer, but I was wondering: could I volunteer to prooflisten only one section or two? (For example, section 1.)

I do realize a DPLer would be preferred; it's only that I feel I can only commit to one or two sections...

Many thanks in any case! :)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Rennis wrote: June 15th, 2020, 3:34 am Hi Leni!

I realize this project is looking for a DPLer, but I was wondering: could I volunteer to prooflisten only one section or two? (For example, section 1.)

I do realize a DPLer would be preferred; it's only that I feel I can only commit to one or two sections...

Many thanks in any case! :)
In case we do not have a DPLer and files come in, sure! :D
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I've always meant to contribute to this long running Pliny project and it looks like my chance has arrived! I'd like to do section 1 please!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

ColleenMc wrote: August 18th, 2020, 4:08 pm I've always meant to contribute to this long running Pliny project and it looks like my chance has arrived! I'd like to do section 1 please!

Colleen
YAY! Thanks, Colleen! :)
Leni
=================
samhitavasu

Post by samhitavasu »

Hi there!

My name is Samhita Vasu.

Please find Section 20 here: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume6_20_128kb.mp3

Duration: 35:03

Please let me know if I should change anything.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

samhitavasu wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 3:35 pm Hi there!

My name is Samhita Vasu.

Please find Section 20 here: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume6_20_128kb.mp3

Thank you for your contribution, but please, claim sections before you record them. I understand this project is quite empty, so there was little danger of someone else claiming before you, but in more popular projects, it is not rare that one person claims a section and another person is interested in the same section within minutes. If the first one records without letting the Book Coordinator know, the second person might record as well, and only one of them will be used - as we work here, the first one to CLAIM the section on the thread.

I have checked just the technical specifications of your section, and I already noticed it is REALLY low in volume. But please wait a little bit more and I will be able to listen to the whole section, to give you more complete feedback. I just wanted to ask you to please claim sections before recording them in any project. Thanks!
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much, Colleen!
Leni
=================
Rennis

Post by Rennis »

Hi there!

May I prooflisten section 1, please?
dvandervis

Post by dvandervis »

Can I claim section 18?
Diana V.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Do I need to slow down? How's my enunciation? Did I stumble, or pause too long? Please let me know!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Rennis wrote: September 18th, 2020, 12:36 am Hi there!

May I prooflisten section 1, please?
Yes, please.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

dvandervis wrote: September 18th, 2020, 5:36 am Can I claim section 18?
Sure, thanks for claiming!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

samhitavasu wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 3:35 pm Hi there!

My name is Samhita Vasu.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in PLing. Here are a few notes:

In many occasions, there is a slight pause in the middle of a sentence or a word that, while it does not render the text unintelligible or anything, interrupts the natural flow of the sentence (some examples in 05:03, 06:54, 13:33, 16:20, 23:15, but there are many others). I don't think it needs re-recording but, for future reference, I'd suggest, while recording, an ytime you need to pause slightly to ponder the next word, or make sure you understand it (and that happens to all readers!), just re-read the whole sentence with a more natural flow, and then delete the first one when editing. That way you have the whole text flowing. Also, there are fluctuations in volume. I don't know if you have recorded it in different sittings, or if you were moving away from the microphone. Just as an example, compare the volume at 16:52 with the volume at 18:13, or 32:41 and 32:43. But that happens at many points. At 20:20 and following, it gets really hard to hear what is being read.The result is that, overall, the volume is below the target of 86dB (it is clocking at 81 dB). So I would please ask you to amplify the whole file.

More specific fixes needed are:

At 04:28 - I hear a stumble "...taken with coriander, in the ma-matter already mentioned" (not sure it shouldn't be manner?)
At 05:32 - three seconds of silence in the middle of a sentence, which hinders the understanding of the sentence ("that has been hatched... he will experience a perfect cure")
At 13:10 - I hear a stumble "... of a great part of Egypt worship these-those animals"
At 23:05 - a stumble: "if we believe what the mag-magicians tell us"
At 14:24 - a stumble "... due care being taken at - that the patient..."
At 31:50 - a stumble "...produced by blows are ef-effaced by an application..."

At the end of the recording there are only 3 seconds of silence, when there should be full five seconds.

Please, fix the main problems and re-upload the section with the same name. Thanks!
Leni
=================