COMPLETE The Magnificent Adventure by Emerson Hough - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

RitaBoutros wrote: September 19th, 2020, 9:01 am Sec 31 is PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:
Sweet, thank you Rita.
April
TomMagnuson

Post by TomMagnuson »

Hello - I am a new reader and would be happy to read a chapter or two wherever needed in this project. I can start ASAP if that's helpful. (My one minute test was posted yesterday and I believe was within the specs). Thanks.
Tom M.
AndreasDanko

Post by AndreasDanko »

RitaBoutros wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:39 am
AndreasDanko wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:18 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/part2_chapter12.mp3

Part 2 chapter 12. 18:04 min
Nice reading :thumbs:
We do have a couple of things that will need to be corrected:

First, please rename your file to: magnificentadventure_26_hough_128kb

Next, please reduce the silence at the start to .5 to 1.0 second, and add a full 5 seconds at the end

At 3:00 there is a very long pause; please reduce
At 11:48: "for what's not my business" should be "for that's not my business"
Sure I will get right on that. But before I do: what about my intro? I say "Part 2 chapter 12", as that is what the table of contents says. Do I need to correct this also? And if yes... to what?
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

TomMagnuson wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:06 am Hello - I am a new reader and would be happy to read a chapter or two wherever needed in this project. I can start ASAP if that's helpful. (My one minute test was posted yesterday and I believe was within the specs). Thanks.
Tom M.
Well good afternoon to you Tom! Pleased to hear that you passed your 1-minute test and that it was as you mentioned "within the specs".
Happy to hear that you would like to record in this section. There are sections that you can read, they are the ones that are marked open. It is your choice , just which ones appeal to you. Please take a look and when you find something you like, post in this area which one(s) you would like to read.
April
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

AndreasDanko wrote: September 19th, 2020, 12:05 pm
RitaBoutros wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:39 am
AndreasDanko wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:18 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/part2_chapter12.mp3

Part 2 chapter 12. 18:04 min
Nice reading :thumbs:
We do have a couple of things that will need to be corrected:

First, please rename your file to: magnificentadventure_26_hough_128kb

Next, please reduce the silence at the start to .5 to 1.0 second, and add a full 5 seconds at the end

At 3:00 there is a very long pause; please reduce
At 11:48: "for what's not my business" should be "for that's not my business"
Sure I will get right on that. But before I do: what about my intro? I say "Part 2 chapter 12", as that is what the table of contents says. Do I need to correct this also? And if yes... to what?

Your intro was fine -- that's why I didn't mention it :D :D
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 08.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/magnificantadventure_08_hough_128kb.mp3 Time: 24:40

I would appreciate having your very candid appraisal of this, i.e., the volume levels and especially how my voice comes across. I am not very happy with how I sound to myself when I am editing. I did fiddle with the bass and treble a little, i.e., I reduced the bass slightly and increased the treble a bit and I think that, for me, it then sounded a little better.
Russ Bruno
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

KevinS wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:50 pm Section 13

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/magnificentadventure_13_hough_128kb.mp3 (14:55)
Thank you Kevin, I shall put in the mw now for Rita to pl.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Shasta wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:12 pm Here is Chapter 08.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/magnificantadventure_08_hough_128kb.mp3 Time: 24:40

I would appreciate having your very candid appraisal of this, i.e., the volume levels and especially how my voice comes across. I am not very happy with how I sound to myself when I am editing. I did fiddle with the bass and treble a little, i.e., I reduced the bass slightly and increased the treble a bit and I think that, for me, it then sounded a little better.
Hello Russ,
I believe that if you did another round or possibly even 2 of noise cleaning it would help. You see your background sound is at 34.1 when a good number to attain is around 24.2. Your volume is at 88.8 which is a great level to be at.
I am the bc and these are my thoughts.
April
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 08, again. I have run the noise reduction again, twice. Please let me know if it seems better than before. I don't know how to check the background noise level. Please tell me.

Russ Bruno
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Shasta wrote: September 20th, 2020, 4:31 pm Here is Chapter 08, again. I have run the noise reduction again, twice. Please let me know if it seems better than before. I don't know how to check the background noise level. Please tell me.

Russ, I gave your file a listen tonight and have to say that I found the sound extremely distorted. In most places, I couldn't even make out what you were saying. I am not a great fan of the Noise Reduction feature (under "Effects" in Audacity) because it reduces not only the background noise, but also the quality of the overall sound.

I would suggest that you try using a microphone (if you're not already) and move very close to the your mic when you're recording, maybe an inch away without actually touching it. Make sure your room is very quiet. Try to avoid recording in a big echo-y room if you can help it. When you open the Audacity window, use the sliding scale on the left (under the Mute button) to set your volume to about +3 and speak normally. Try doing a test piece about 3-5 minutes long and submit it to me. I'll listen again and see if there is any improvement. I'm sure we'll find a way to make this work :thumbs: It could be that your mic needs to be replaced and if that's the case, you can use any decent plug-in mic. They usually run under $25-30.

The MC on this book might also have some suggestions.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

adr6090 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:57 am
KevinS wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:50 pm Section 13

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/magnificentadventure_13_hough_128kb.mp3 (14:55)
Thank you Kevin, I shall put in the mw now for Rita to pl.
Sec 13 is PL OK :thumbs:
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Shasta wrote: September 20th, 2020, 4:31 pm Here is Chapter 08, again. I have run the noise reduction again, twice. Please let me know if it seems better than before. I don't know how to check the background noise level. Please tell me.

Hello again Russ,
It does seem as though Rita does give you great advice. True enough that if noise reduction is used too much the recording can sound "tinny".

Rita,
Thank you for stepping in to help Russ out. Appreciate you.
April
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Thanks April 😊
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I appreciate your advice and will do what I can to improve the quality of my recordings. You didn't answer my question about identifying the amount of background noise, i.e., as a number and how to do it.

I have a high quality Yeti (Blue) stereo microphone, so I don't think that's the problem. And the room where I record is very isolated and quiet. I haven't ever had the mic as close to my mouth as suggested, so I will try to have it much closer in the future. Often, my computer fan is running while I am recording and that sound is picked up and needs to be eliminated with Noise Reduction.

Based on the last post to me I assume that Chapter 08 as previously submitted is not acceptable and should be scrapped. So I will record it and resubmit it again.
Russ Bruno