[Complete] Charles the Bold, Last Duke of Burgundy by Ruth Putnam - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:05 pm I do appreciate the responses, Rita, thank you!
Perhaps I get too nitpicky for myself, considering we're all volunteers. But I love literature and audiobooks, and I like to do an excellent job with whatever I'm doing, and I want to make sure I'm doing justice to the rest of the Librivox crew I've just joined.
:wink:

I neglected to respond to your question about quotes. I've left it to the discretion of each reader how those are handled: Some people like to say the "quote" and "unquote" while others simply use the inflection of their voice to indicate. For myself, I prefer the latter if at all possible.

Certainly in places where the author is indicating that some quoted text is coming, it really isn't necessary to use either.

Thanks for your diligence and attention to detail. I think it matters, and with such diligence in tow, I'm sure you'll have an excellent result. You are in good company on this project: We have had lots of really great readers :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Rita
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have orphaned the two sections where readers did not submit their edits.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

It would be my first assignment here, but I can give section 9: The Unjoyous Entry a shot, if that's alright.

Corbin is fine for namesake, and I don't, as of yet, have a site to link to for voice work--but I'm working on it!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Corbin wrote: March 8th, 2021, 11:42 am It would be my first assignment here, but I can give section 9: The Unjoyous Entry a shot, if that's alright.

Corbin is fine for namesake, and I don't, as of yet, have a site to link to for voice work--but I'm working on it!
Welcome to Librivox. All the information you need is in the first post, but do ask if you have questions!
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Here it is, chapter 9.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlesthebold_09_putnam_128kb.mp3

I hope it's up to standards!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Corbin wrote: March 8th, 2021, 2:15 pm Here it is, chapter 9.

Thank you. Rita will listen soon.
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

Section 14, English Affairs (47:35)

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlesthebold_14_putnam_128kb.mp3

:clap:
This was one of my longest so far. Phew!
Also, I've been working on "perfecting" my editing -which is to say, learning some more of the basic editing techniques- 8-) Thank you to PHIL and all his HowTo videos!!
(https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos#Help_with_AUDACITY_A_few_short_videos_about_this_great_editing_program)
That being said, I wanna make sure I didn't *over-edit*, so please let me know if my recording sounds wonky. :?

Thank you!!
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Lynnet wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Can you give the length of the file please?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 10th, 2021, 3:39 am Section 14, English Affairs (47:35)

Also, I've been working on "perfecting" my editing -which is to say, learning some more of the basic editing techniques- 8-) Thank you to PHIL and all his HowTo videos!!
(https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos#Help_with_AUDACITY_A_few_short_videos_about_this_great_editing_program)
That being said, I wanna make sure I didn't *over-edit*, so please let me know if my recording sounds wonky. :?

Thank you!!
Thank you
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

RitaBoutros wrote: March 10th, 2021, 5:26 am
Lynnet wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Can you give the length of the file please?
Oh right!, it's (19:27). Sorry about that
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Your recording is a very animated and lively one! I just have a couple of PL notes on this chapter:

Please reduce the opening silence to within .5 - 1.0 seconds.

Because you introduced the use of "quote" and "unquote" earlier in the text, to remain consistent, there are places where you'll need to insert the words "quote" and "unquote." These are at 9:10, 10:25, 10:36, 11:06, 11:13, 11:43, 13:15 and 13:28.

At 7:13, "they are beside themselves, you have neither reasoning..." should be: "they are beside themselves, they have neither reasoning..."

Finally, since you elected to include the footnotes in this text, I would suggest that rather than placing them all at the end of the chapter (where the listener can make no audio connection to the text), just go ahead and give the footnote explanation right at the end of the sentence in which you cite the footnote. Does this make sense to you?

So this would need to occur at the end of the sentences cited at around 2:16 (FN one), 3:02 (FN two), 4:32 (FN three), 5:15 (FN four), 5:54 (FN five), 7:16 (FN six), 11:46 (FN seven), and there is a FN eight which you did not cite (towards the end of the chapter). But I would strongly suggest you only cite those footnotes that add clarification or understanding to the sentence, that is, footnotes two, four and six. All the others are merely citing an author's name and would only bog down the chapter.

I hope this has been useful to you. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Rita
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 10th, 2021, 3:39 am Section 14, English Affairs (47:35)

Thank you!!

Thanks for this chapter which was beautifully read! I did want to bring up two issues that need addressing.

The first is that there is an inconsistency with regard to the footnotes. You cited and then gave the footnotes for FN1 and FN2. However, after that, you stopped. After the 13th omission, I stopped noting them. Because there are no less than 33 footnotes in this chapter, I realize how onerous it will have become to keep going back and forth. For that reason, I am going to suggest that you delete FN1 and FN2 and carry on without them.

The second issue is the one of quote and unquote. In some places you use them, in others not. So we'll need to be consistent with that.

Although I had already listened to about 85% of this file, once you make a decision about the quotes and footnotes and re-edit this file, I'm going to have to listen to the whole thing again. So I'm stopping here and returning this file to you.

I think overall you did a fine job with this chapter and your reading is excellent.
Rita
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

RitaBoutros wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:41 am
The first is that there is an inconsistency with regard to the footnotes. You cited and then gave the footnotes for FN1 and FN2. However, after that, you stopped. After the 13th omission, I stopped noting them. Because there are no less than 33 footnotes in this chapter, I realize how onerous it will have become to keep going back and forth. For that reason, I am going to suggest that you delete FN1 and FN2 and carry on without them.

The second issue is the one of quote and unquote. In some places you use them, in others not. So we'll need to be consistent with that.

Although I had already listened to about 85% of this file, once you make a decision about the quotes and footnotes and re-edit this file, I'm going to have to listen to the whole thing again. So I'm stopping here and returning this file to you.
Thanks for the feedback, Rita.

Re: the footnotes, the instructions said include what we thought were interesting and valid, which I did think the first two were, but the rest after that were all references and citations (or in french, which I don't know how to read). I understand if it's better to do "all or nothing" with footnotes, though.

With quoting, however, I only used them when there were two people being quoted back to back, and I was concerned about the listeners being able to distinguish the end of one and the beginning of another. Most of the other letters, quotes, and fragmented sentences were easier to distinguish from the narrative with simple tone change, and I thought it would be excessive to include "quote/unquote" for each of them.

I'd checked instructions about the footnotes and the quote/unquote previously, and my usages of them in my reading were conscious decisions according to what I thought made sense, but I can edit them out if you still feel like they are best left out.
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:04 pm
RitaBoutros wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:41 am

Thanks for the feedback, Rita.

Re: the footnotes, the instructions said include what we thought were interesting and valid, which I did think the first two were, but the rest after that were all references and citations (or in french, which I don't know how to read). I understand if it's better to do "all or nothing" with footnotes, though.

With quoting, however, I only used them when there were two people being quoted back to back, and I was concerned about the listeners being able to distinguish the end of one and the beginning of another. Most of the other letters, quotes, and fragmented sentences were easier to distinguish from the narrative with simple tone change, and I thought it would be excessive to include "quote/unquote" for each of them.

I'd checked instructions about the footnotes and the quote/unquote previously, and my usages of them in my reading were conscious decisions according to what I thought made sense, but I can edit them out if you still feel like they are best left out.
Just stepping in here to say your understanding is correct.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

RitaBoutros wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:28 am

Your recording is a very animated and lively one! I just have a couple of PL notes on this chapter:

Please reduce the opening silence to within .5 - 1.0 seconds.

Because you introduced the use of "quote" and "unquote" earlier in the text, to remain consistent, there are places where you'll need to insert the words "quote" and "unquote." These are at 9:10, 10:25, 10:36, 11:06, 11:13, 11:43, 13:15 and 13:28.

At 7:13, "they are beside themselves, you have neither reasoning..." should be: "they are beside themselves, they have neither reasoning..."

Finally, since you elected to include the footnotes in this text, I would suggest that rather than placing them all at the end of the chapter (where the listener can make no audio connection to the text), just go ahead and give the footnote explanation right at the end of the sentence in which you cite the footnote. Does this make sense to you?

So this would need to occur at the end of the sentences cited at around 2:16 (FN one), 3:02 (FN two), 4:32 (FN three), 5:15 (FN four), 5:54 (FN five), 7:16 (FN six), 11:46 (FN seven), and there is a FN eight which you did not cite (towards the end of the chapter). But I would strongly suggest you only cite those footnotes that add clarification or understanding to the sentence, that is, footnotes two, four and six. All the others are merely citing an author's name and would only bog down the chapter.

I hope this has been useful to you. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Rita
Got it! I'll re-edit the piece later tonight and through the next couple of days. Thanks for the input!