(Juvenile Adventure) The Red Runners by Seckatary Hawkins - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

The Red Runners by Seckatary Hawkins (1890 - 1972).

The "Seckatary Hawkins" books were juvenile mystery and adventure novels that pre-dated "The Hardy Boys" and "Nancy Drew". Written by Robert Schulkers under the pseudonym "Seckatary Hawkins", many appeared first in serialized form in The Cincinnati Enquirer and hundreds of other newspapers around the country.

Schulkers further popularized the series through a nationally syndicated NBC radio broadcast from Chicago and an extensive number of Seckatary Hawkins clubs in larger metropolitan areas. The official club name was "The Fair and Square Club". The club slogan was "A quitter never wins and a winner never quits". For most of the books, the setting was a river bank that was a composite based on Schulker's familiarity with segments of the Ohio River, the Licking River, and the Kentucky River.

Seckatary Hawkins, a fat boy with a cowlick hairdo, records daily minutes of the adventures of a remarkably organized group of boys. The group of ten or so boys (some boys rotated in and out of the club) have their own clubhouse on the river bank, complete with a stove for heat, a telephone, and even an organ for the required singing practice.

While never the president of the club, Seckatary Hawkins is clearly the smartest member and the leader. He is regularly called upon by the books' few adult characters and many of the youthful ones to solve various mysteries and to keep the river bank safe.

Harper Lee mentioned two of the books in her novel To Kill a Mockingbird. (Temporary - adated from wikipedia )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/redrunners00schuiala/page/n9/mode/2up
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Red Runners. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Red Runners, by Seckatary Hawkins. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Red Runners, by Seckatary Hawkins. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      redrunners_##_hawkins_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. redrunners_01_hawkins_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: m8b1
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Yes, Seckatary is supposed to be spelled that way. :-)

I know this series has probably not been heard of by many people, but it was very well known in it's day. (Before my time :D)
Unfortunately this is not the first book published in the series, but it should generally be able to stand on it's own.

I don't think there are, but if there are any pages missing or text issues, I have access to an original copy and can provide anything missing.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Jhouse6789

Post by Jhouse6789 »

Hello, I was hoping to read chapters 1 to 4 for you. Please let me know.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This sounds so interesting! I was a huge fan of the Encyclopedia Brown, the Great Brain, and the Alfred Hitchcock Three Investigators books as a kid, and this sounds like some sort of combo of all 3 of them crossed with Tom Sawyer. I am pretty booked up with projects at the moment but I will be keeping an eye on this one and if sections are available once I've cleared my deck a bit in a couple of weeks, I will try to join in. Either way I'll definitely look forward to listening to the finished book!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Jhouse6789 wrote: May 30th, 2020, 4:55 pm Hello, I was hoping to read chapters 1 to 4 for you. Please let me know.
Hi,

Welcome to Librivox!

It is good to be enthusiastic, but I see you have claimed a lot more sections as well ~ and that is a lot to take on for a new reader! It is best to start a little smaller, and work your way up! You don't want to overwhelm yourself! :D I will go ahead and assign you the sections, however, please refrain from claiming more until you make a little progress with the ones you have already claimed.

First off, we need you to do a 1 minute test, just to make sure your technical settings are correct. You can find the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Also, please tell me what name you would like to use for your catalog page. It can be your real name, a pseudonym or your forum name ~ whatever your prefer!

Thanks, and have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

ColleenMc wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:18 am This sounds so interesting! I was a huge fan of the Encyclopedia Brown, the Great Brain, and the Alfred Hitchcock Three Investigators books as a kid, and this sounds like some sort of combo of all 3 of them crossed with Tom Sawyer. I am pretty booked up with projects at the moment but I will be keeping an eye on this one and if sections are available once I've cleared my deck a bit in a couple of weeks, I will try to join in. Either way I'll definitely look forward to listening to the finished book!

Colleen
Hi Colleen,

They are pretty fun, from what I remember. It has been a while since I have read them, but starting this project made me want to pull one off the shelf to read. I have a relative who collects them, and they are pretty well known locally ~ so that is how I am familiar with them.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Over to Reader's Wanted...........
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
savsutton

Post by savsutton »

I would like to do chapter 5 if possible.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

savsutton wrote: June 5th, 2020, 10:37 am I would like to do chapter 5 if possible.
Hi,

Welcome to LibriVox! Chapter 5 is all yours! Please read the first post of this thread carefully.

Please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, since this is your first recording, we ask that you send in a 1-minute test recording. This is not an audition, it's just to make sure the sound quality and the recording settings are all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later. Please go to https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test to find out what to record for your 1-minute test, and how to upload the recording. In the LibriVox Uploader, please select 'tests - tests' from the MC drop-down, and then post your test recording in the Listeners Wanted forum, rather than in this thread - you'll get feedback more quickly there.

Thanks, and have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
LucyPB

Post by LucyPB »

Hi there

I am happy to read Section 6 if this would assist? It is my first reading. In terms of name/pseudonym, LPB would be great.

Thanks and wait to hear
LucyPB
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

LucyPB wrote: June 18th, 2020, 10:13 am Hi there

I am happy to read Section 6 if this would assist? It is my first reading. In terms of name/pseudonym, LPB would be great.

Thanks and wait to hear
LucyPB
Hi Lucy,

Welcome to LibriVox! Section 6 is all yours! Please read the first post of this thread carefully.

Please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, since this is your first recording, we ask that you send in a 1-minute test recording. This is not an audition, it's just to make sure the sound quality and the recording settings are all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later. Please go to https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test to find out what to record for your 1-minute test, and how to upload the recording. In the LibriVox Uploader, please select 'tests - tests' from the MC drop-down, and then post your test recording in the Listeners Wanted forum, rather than in this thread - you'll get feedback more quickly there.

Thanks, and have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
kyouhanaie

Post by kyouhanaie »

Hello, I would like to take sections 15 and 16. Thanks!
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

All yours ~ thank you!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
kyouhanaie

Post by kyouhanaie »

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thank you very much! I will listen to it tomorrow!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks