COMPLETE Exposition Psalms 1 - 36 (Vol 1) St Augustine-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Magdalene! Here is section 15, Psalm 16: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/psalms1_15_augustine_128kb.mp3 8:06 Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings in the Name of the Lord!

EDIT: SEE BELOW: I'LL GIVE THESE SECTIONS TO DRONALD.
I'd like to claim sections 18 -- 21 (Psalms 19 -- 22) Thank you!
Last edited by Monaxi on July 19th, 2020, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peace be with you,
Sister
MagdaleneMiller

Post by MagdaleneMiller »

Section 15... Psalm 16 PL OK
(Time is pending upload )
Magdalene
}—>+<—{
dronald

Post by dronald »

It would be an honour to do Psalm 22. It's my first recording and it's going well. If you like it I'll do Psalms 19-21 for the consistency.

Thanks and God bless!
dronald

Post by dronald »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/psalms1_22_augustine_128kb.mp3

Psalm 22.

I just noticed Monaxi's post that she was looking to do this Psalm as well as the ones before. It's my fault but I only looked at the first page that showed Psalm 22 open. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes.

I'm new at this so idk what happens tbh.
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

dronald wrote: July 18th, 2020, 9:52 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/psalms1_22_augustine_128kb.mp3

Psalm 22.

I just noticed Monaxi's post that she was looking to do this Psalm as well as the ones before. It's my fault but I only looked at the first page that showed Psalm 22 open. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes.

Welcome, dronald! There's no problem with you doing these psalms. HOWEVER, section 22 (which is psalm 23) has been completed. Your upload has the wrong file name and it replaced mine. The correct file name will feature the section number NOT the psalm number. I know this is confusing, but will be much easier when we get to the next volume. I hope you'll stick around for that. You have a nice voice. In the meantime, I'll upload my recording again.

Please don't upload anything else until the MC comes and straightens us out with the correct section/psalm numbers. Let the MC put you in the magic window for this and the preceding psalms. I'll get back later with new selections for me to work on. Best wishes!

Peace be with you,
Sister
dronald

Post by dronald »

Monaxi wrote: July 19th, 2020, 5:24 am
dronald wrote: July 18th, 2020, 9:52 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/psalms1_22_augustine_128kb.mp3

Psalm 22.

Welcome, dronald! There's no problem with you doing these psalms. HOWEVER, section 22 (which is psalm 23) has been completed. Your upload has the wrong file name and it replaced mine. The correct file name will feature the section number NOT the psalm number. I know this is confusing, but will be much easier when we get to the next volume. I hope you'll stick around for that. You have a nice voice. In the meantime, I'll upload my recording again.

Please don't upload anything else until the MC comes and straightens us out with the correct section/psalm numbers. Let the MC put you in the magic window for this and the preceding psalms. I'll get back later with new selections for me to work on. Best wishes!
Ah okay thanks. Sorry for that. I'll be happy to get involved whenever and however. Thanks for the feedback and the help!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

I've edited my post above to let dronald do the sections I claimed yesterday.

Peace be with you,
Sister
dronald

Post by dronald »

Monaxi wrote: July 19th, 2020, 6:09 am I've edited my post above to let dronald do the sections I claimed yesterday.
That's really kind of you. Thank you again.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MagdaleneMiller wrote: July 18th, 2020, 5:18 pm Section 15... Psalm 16 PL OK
Thank you, I put this is the MW. I'm not sure what you mean about the time, though. :hmm:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Psalm 22.

Welcome! I'd be happy to have you join this project, but there are a few particulars to take care of first. As you noticed, this section had already been claimed, although the reader has kindly given it over to you. Situations like this are the reason that it's generally better to wait for confirmation before you begin recording.

In addition, you haven't yet completed your 1-minute test. Now, it's not precisely required, persay, but we ask new readers to do this so that they can be sure that their tech settings are ok before recording a longer section. Since you've already done one, though, I went ahead and checked the settings on it. You'll need to adjust your bit rate and your volume. Volume can be a bit tricky, so let's look at that first. (I'm not sure what program you're using, but many of us use Audacity, so I can give you tips for that program.)

We aim for 89 dB, or within a range of 86-92. This recording comes in at about 81. It's easy to amplify in Audacity. Entering 6 in the box that comes up will get you in the proper range without causing clipping (distortion that occurs when portions are too loud). For future recordings, I recommend adjusting the input from your mic so that you're already in the correct range and don't need to amplify. There's a slider bar in Audacity's toolbars with a mic icon next to it. I keep mine turned all the way up. (If you don't see it, go to View>Toolbars>Mixer Toolbar.) You can also adjust your mic's input in the audio settings of your operating system. I keep mine at 94%, but you may need a little more or a little less.

To check your own volume, I recommend getting Checker, a free program that was built specifically for LibriVox readers. It's easy to use and install and will tell you how loud your recording is in dB. (You can only use it with an already-exported mp3 file.)

You may find that, with the volume turned up, you can suddenly hear (and see) background noise that wasn't noticeable before. Audacity comes with a great built-in tool for noise reduction that is very easy to use. If you notice white noise behind your voice, I recommend that you give it a shot.

Once that is straightened out, you're ready to export into mp3 format. This is when you'll set the bit rate. Go to File>Export>Export as MP3. In the box that pops up, take a look at Format Options (towards the bottom). Make sure to select Constant and 128 kbps. Double check the file name, too. As Monaxi pointed out, the section number and the Psalm number are not always the same. Use the section number (the first column in the MW chart). Then you can click Save. Audacity will save those bit rate settings for you, so you shouldn't have to mess with them again after this.

One last thing. Since this is your first submission, I'll need to know how you want to be credited in the catalogue. You can use your real name, your screen name, or any other pseudonym. I look forward to hearing from you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Monaxi wrote: July 19th, 2020, 5:24 am

Psalm 22.

Thanks for your flexibility, Monaxi! And for welcoming our new reader while I was away! :D No need to re-upload your recording if something like this happens again, though. It is not gone when it gets overwritten, only renamed. Your MC can easily find the original file and link it back to the MW. :)
dronald

Post by dronald »

mightyfelix wrote: July 19th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Psalm 22.

Welcome! I'd be happy to have you join this project, but there are a few particulars to take care of first. As you noticed, this section had already been claimed, although the reader has kindly given it over to you. Situations like this are the reason that it's generally better to wait for confirmation before you begin recording.

In addition, you haven't yet completed your 1-minute test. Now, it's not precisely required, persay, but we ask new readers to do this so that they can be sure that their tech settings are ok before recording a longer section. Since you've already done one, though, I went ahead and checked the settings on it. You'll need to adjust your bit rate and your volume. Volume can be a bit tricky, so let's look at that first. (I'm not sure what program you're using, but many of us use Audacity, so I can give you tips for that program.)

We aim for 89 dB, or within a range of 86-92. This recording comes in at about 81. It's easy to amplify in Audacity. Entering 6 in the box that comes up will get you in the proper range without causing clipping (distortion that occurs when portions are too loud). For future recordings, I recommend adjusting the input from your mic so that you're already in the correct range and don't need to amplify. There's a slider bar in Audacity's toolbars with a mic icon next to it. I keep mine turned all the way up. (If you don't see it, go to View>Toolbars>Mixer Toolbar.) You can also adjust your mic's input in the audio settings of your operating system. I keep mine at 94%, but you may need a little more or a little less.

To check your own volume, I recommend getting Checker, a free program that was built specifically for LibriVox readers. It's easy to use and install and will tell you how loud your recording is in dB. (You can only use it with an already-exported mp3 file.)

You may find that, with the volume turned up, you can suddenly hear (and see) background noise that wasn't noticeable before. Audacity comes with a great built-in tool for noise reduction that is very easy to use. If you notice white noise behind your voice, I recommend that you give it a shot.

Once that is straightened out, you're ready to export into mp3 format. This is when you'll set the bit rate. Go to File>Export>Export as MP3. In the box that pops up, take a look at Format Options (towards the bottom). Make sure to select Constant and 128 kbps. Double check the file name, too. As Monaxi pointed out, the section number and the Psalm number are not always the same. Use the section number (the first column in the MW chart). Then you can click Save. Audacity will save those bit rate settings for you, so you shouldn't have to mess with them again after this.

One last thing. Since this is your first submission, I'll need to know how you want to be credited in the catalogue. You can use your real name, your screen name, or any other pseudonym. I look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks for everyone's flexibility and patience! I've followed your instructions, and yes I used audacity. Just credit it to "dronald" my screen name here.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/psalms1_21_augustine_128kb.mp3

12:54

I hope I got it right this time. I amplified, exported but selected "constant" this time at 128 kbps. The file name now correctly is 21 instead of the Psalm number 22.

I used the noise reduction tool because my mic was picking up the air conditioning. It did wonders!
MagdaleneMiller

Post by MagdaleneMiller »

mightyfelix wrote: July 19th, 2020, 12:17 pm
MagdaleneMiller wrote: July 18th, 2020, 5:18 pm Section 15... Psalm 16 PL OK
Thank you, I put this is the MW. I'm not sure what you mean about the time, though. :hmm:
Sorry to be confusing.. My mistake, I had listened to the link Sister sent instead of waiting for you to update it on the MW. Next time I will wait.( I only meant that I couldn’t confirm the time 8:06 matched until the file was entered)
Magdalene
}—>+<—{
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

dronald wrote: July 19th, 2020, 3:30 pm Thanks for everyone's flexibility and patience! I've followed your instructions, and yes I used audacity. Just credit it to "dronald" my screen name here.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/psalms1_21_augustine_128kb.mp3

12:54

I hope I got it right this time. I amplified, exported but selected "constant" this time at 128 kbps. The file name now correctly is 21 instead of the Psalm number 22.

I used the noise reduction tool because my mic was picking up the air conditioning. It did wonders!
I have set up your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14683 Here you will find listed all your projects, both active and completed. For now, of course, there's only this one, but hopefully there will be many more to follow. You can get to this page by clicking your name in the MW.

Now, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that your tech specs are all good now! :thumbs: (You could benefit from still one more round of noise cleaning, but it's not too bad as is.)

Now for the bad news. I had a listen to the first few minutes when I was checking your tech specs, and I noticed that you have changed the language from what is printed to a more modern usage. (ex. 0:33 "speaks" instead of speaketh, 1:05 "Why have You forsaken me" instead of Why hast Thou forsaken me) I'm very sorry, but we can't allow changes like this to be made. Here is a link to our text policy: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies The most salient point at the moment is the first line, which reads "You may not change the published text in any way (eg. to remove swear words, language or ideas you find objectionable, or to "update" a text). Our objective is to record texts as they were written." I don't know if you've done this kind of updating throughout the whole recording, but if so, I fear the whole thing will need to be recorded over again. My guess is that there are just too many of these to try to save time by editing this recording. :(