[COMPLETED] A Description of Millenium Hall and the Country Adjacent by Sarah Scott - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Xctops

Post by Xctops »

A Description of Millenium Hall and the Country Adjacent by Sarah Scott (1723 - 1795).

This project is now in the catalog! Please listen and download here: https://librivox.org/a-description-of-millenium-hall-and-the-country-adjacent-by-sarah-scott/
Utopian novel by Sarah Scott, published in 1762 and much reprinted thereafter. ( Oxford Companion to English Literature)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26050
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction; General Fiction/Published before 1800

Keywords that describe the book: feminism, utopian

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of A Description of Millenium Hall and the Country Adjacent by 'A Gentleman on His Travels'. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Description of Millenium Hall and the Country Adjacent, by Sarah Scott. Title of the section [as it reads in the Magic Window]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Description of Millenium Hall and the Country Adjacent, by Sarah Scott. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename milleniumhall_##_scott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. milleniumhall_01_scott_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags --NO NEED TO ADD ID3 TAGS
    Artist: Sarah Scott
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: A Description of Millenium Hall and the Country Adjacent

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this up for you and be your MC (meta coordinator) :D

ETA
Here we go, now we have a MW (Magic Window).

Since you are the soloist you are also your own book coordinator (BC). As such, it is your job to keep the MW updated when you upload a recording.
Here are directions for logging into the MW for the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs
And here are all the directions for what a BC does (and what a DPL, dedicated prooflistener does):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Please have a go at logging into the MW, and let me know how it goes. The titles of the different sections will go in the column called Title. For this book, I would recommend for instance A Description of Millenium Hall, Part 1 for the first section, A Description of Millenium Hall, Part 2 for section 2 etc. I'll get it started for you.

I will add a ~ to the heading so that prospective prooflisteners know that this project doesn't have a DPL yet.

I edited the intro a little. From looking at the book, it looks like you will have to chunk it as you see fit -- there aren't bitesized chapters. Therefore it makes sense to use "section" in the intro/outro. I know the title page of the book says "by a gentleman on his travels" as author -- right now the intro first uses that, then Sarah Scott. It would be totally ok to change it so it reads Sarah Scott both times.

I made 10 sections as a starting point, but it is easy to make more if you need or delete if I made too many.

Please holler if you have questions! We will stay here in the Launch Pad for another day or so before moving over to Going Solo.
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Hope all is well. I take back what I said in the previous post about moving after a day to Going Solo. ;) I'd prefer that you have been able to log into the magic window before we move (it helps me to not have things fall between the cracks). Please let me know how it is going!
Kathrine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If you are looking for a proof-listener, I would love to DPL.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Moving this project to Book Suggestions to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Opening this book as a group project. :)
Kathrine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Great! Can I start on as the DPL?
quasimoir

Post by quasimoir »

Allo allo Kathrine:

This particular novel seems rather interesting!

May I record Chapter 1: Part 1 - if you haven't set your heart on beginning on it, that is? Else, I'll take Chapter 1: Part 2.

Do let me know, and I can start with it right away.

Always,
Garfield
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 31st, 2020, 5:08 pm Great! Can I start on as the DPL?
Lovely, thank you!
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

quasimoir wrote: August 1st, 2020, 3:09 am Allo allo Kathrine:

May I record Chapter 1: Part 1 - if you haven't set your heart on beginning on it, that is? Else, I'll take Chapter 1: Part 2.

Always,
Garfield
Thank you for claiming, Garfield. I'll sign you up for section 1 :thumbs:
Kathrine
gondola

Post by gondola »

Hello

I'd like to claim sections 3 and 4 please.

Florence
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you for claiming, Florence! Sections 3 and 4 are all yours
Kathrine
quasimoir

Post by quasimoir »

quasimoir wrote: August 1st, 2020, 3:09 am Allo allo Kathrine:

Always,
Garfield
Allo allo again, Kathrine:

I'm afraid I haven't been able to make much progress with this recording and I see that my time's up! Would it be too much to ask for an extension? I hope to get this done this month itself. The ones that were were a bit hectic and so, I couldn't make time to record.

Do let me know; I'll totally understand should you not want to grant an extension. But I hope you do.

Anxious in anticipation,
Garfield
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you for posting, Garfield! Absolutely, I'm happy to give you another month, no problems!
Kathrine
jenno

Post by jenno »

may i claim chapter 2 please

Jennifer