[Complete] Zarah the Cruel by Joan Conquest - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Dwarika wrote: April 30th, 2020, 1:45 am
Lynnet wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:50 am
Dwarika wrote: April 27th, 2020, 12:43 am Hi..

Can I take chapter 4?

Warm regards,
Dwarika
You may!
Hi!!

The chapter 4 recording uploaded- time length 28.29.45

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_04_conquest_128kb.mp3

Dwarika
Thank you
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Hi!!

Dwarika
Dwarika, chapter 4 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Do you mind if I ask about the room you're recording in? I can hear a lot of reverb (not sure if that's the right word) in your recording, which could be reduced by recording in a smaller room with soft surfaces. It also sounds like you're recording on your computer's microphone - if you're able to, buying a cheap external mic makes a big difference (totally non-compulsory of course).
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

julianpratley wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 3:20 pm
Hi!!

Dwarika
Dwarika, chapter 4 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Do you mind if I ask about the room you're recording in? I can hear a lot of reverb (not sure if that's the right word) in your recording, which could be reduced by recording in a smaller room with soft surfaces. It also sounds like you're recording on your computer's microphone - if you're able to, buying a cheap external mic makes a big difference (totally non-compulsory of course).
Hi..

You are right. Even I felt something not right in my recordings. I use the laptop mic. I am using my smallest room (bathroom) :lol: :lol: as there isn't any quiet place which is required. I will try to use the soft surface.. I will try this in next recording.

As I have less idea about external mic, I would suggest anyone of you a good mic, which serves our purpose and pocket friendly too. :wink:

Thanks.
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Dwarika wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:53 pm
Hi..

You are right. Even I felt something not right in my recordings. I use the laptop mic. I am using my smallest room (bathroom) :lol: :lol: as there isn't any quiet place which is required. I will try to use the soft surface.. I will try this in next recording.

As I have less idea about external mic, I would suggest anyone of you a good mic, which serves our purpose and pocket friendly too. :wink:

Thanks.
That makes sense, bathrooms can be very echoey with all the tiles and whatnot. I think you ideally want lots of rugs and wall hangings and that sort of thing.

My mic is literally the cheapest one I could find, so I'm not the person to ask about them :lol: Lynne might have some suggestions or if you look through the forums (or post a question yourself) I'm sure there'll be suggestions around.
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
ajefferies

Post by ajefferies »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_03_conquest_128kb.mp3
It is 28:18:53 I noticed some clicking in the very beginning after cleaning it up. I tried to get rid of it, but I'm not sure how. I can look it up and give it a shot if you think it is going to be an issue. Thanks!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ajefferies wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 7:44 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_03_conquest_128kb.mp3
It is 28:18:53 I noticed some clicking in the very beginning after cleaning it up. I tried to get rid of it, but I'm not sure how. I can look it up and give it a shot if you think it is going to be an issue. Thanks!
Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

julianpratley wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 12:51 am
Hi..

Thanks.
That makes sense, bathrooms can be very echoey with all the tiles and whatnot. I think you ideally want lots of rugs and wall hangings and that sort of thing.

My mic is literally the cheapest one I could find, so I'm not the person to ask about them :lol: Lynne might have some suggestions or if you look through the forums (or post a question yourself) I'm sure there'll be suggestions around.
Towels would make good echo deadeners 8-)

As for a mic, almost any USB mic would be better than the one built in to your laptop. I just did a quick search on Amazon and you can get one for about $20. You can also play a lot more (if money is no object, a Blue Yeti is good). My first mic was the cheapest I could get ($25 at the time) and it lasted about 5 years until the connector wore out. By that time, I knew I was serious about recording, and Santa bought me a Blue Yeti :9: It is a lot clearer, but the cheap one works fine for LV purposes. You would want to place it either slightly to the side or above your mouth, so you are not breathing directly on to it.
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Here is my rendition of chapter 5:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_05_conquest_128kb.mp3
recording time: 15:07

Let me know if I need to fix anything. Thanks!

Jim G.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jfgallagher wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 11:55 am Here is my rendition of chapter 5:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_05_conquest_128kb.mp3
recording time: 15:07

Let me know if I need to fix anything. Thanks!

Jim G.
Thank you
reecedawg

Post by reecedawg »

May I please claim chapter 6?
Thanks!
Matt
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

reecedawg wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 4:09 pm May I please claim chapter 6?
Thanks!
Matt
Enjoy!
fshort

Post by fshort »

I'd like Chapter 10 if you please.
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

Lynnet wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 8:36 am
julianpratley wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 12:51 am
Hi..

Thanks.

Towels would make good echo deadeners 8-)

As for a mic, almost any USB mic would be better than the one built in to your laptop. I just did a quick search on Amazon and you can get one for about $20. You can also play a lot more (if money is no object, a Blue Yeti is good). My first mic was the cheapest I could get ($25 at the time) and it lasted about 5 years until the connector wore out. By that time, I knew I was serious about recording, and Santa bought me a Blue Yeti :9: It is a lot clearer, but the cheap one works fine for LV purposes. You would want to place it either slightly to the side or above your mouth, so you are not breathing directly on to it.
Hey!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. You guys are superb. I will try to get one external mic, but meanwhile I will prepare d recording room with towels :lol:

Can I take chapter 7?
I would like to give a try.

Thanks a lot.
Dwarika
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

ajefferies wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 7:44 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_03_conquest_128kb.mp3
I think it's best if you re-record the section with clicking since it's only quite short. Otherwise chapter 3 is PL OK :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

fshort wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:48 pm I'd like Chapter 10 if you please.
It's yours.