[NOVEL] Children Of The Abbey By Regina Maria Roche-ag

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
miss stav

Post by miss stav » January 23rd, 2021, 8:04 am

Thanks a lot.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

schrm

Post by schrm » January 23rd, 2021, 9:06 am

catherine247 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 7:58 am
Here is chapter 21! Chapter 22 coming soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_21_128kb.mp3

Duration 13:58.

Best,
Catherine
hello catherine,

thank you for your recording!
it is always a nice surprise to get a wonderful reading from a new reader and being able to help some steps along... :D

here are some things you should work over, please:
--> not that important, but you didn't get the one minute test pl ok. i will jump in and give it to you, because i am quite sure you will get the pl ok with your next upload!

1. filename:
our filenames are standardized and are written down for each project in the first posting, under the magic window.
a. the author is missing
b: you have read chapter 16 and named it section 21 <-- that is good, it is almost correct :-) totally correct is: chapter 16 (also in the recording it should be called chapter 16) and the filename should be section _20_
point one corrected for the next upload: : https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_20_roche_128kb.mp3

--> as an explanation:
please take care, you are claiming sections of the audiobook.
we most often have more (audio)sections than chapters (written in the book), because we divide chapters, which would be more than an hour of recording time.
--> please take care! you claimed sections 20 and 21, section 22 is already uploaded!

2. standard pl means, that we check the intro and outro, beginning and ending silences, and so on.
a. please correct the intro two times: you have read chapter 16.
b please adjust the outro accordingly: end of chapter 16.
c. you have read the outro for the end of the book, too. but there are many more sections, before that is coming. please cut the outro for the end of the audiobook.
d. there is no ending silence. you can copy and paste a silence period: we need 5 seconds of ending silence, please!

3. standard pl means, that we listen for unnatural long pauses, stumbles or repetitions of words etc..
i suggest some easy and fast to do cuts or edited passages at minute: second
- 2:12 i misunderstand these few words - should be: rolling about in a coach and six with their mamma
- 3:05,568-3:08,788 a little pause which sounds like a disturbance - after you cut a part like this suggested (on a mac i don't know for sure. in audacity you just zoom in to be able to select milliseconds), it is hardly recognizable
- 3:20-3:21 please cut the stumble to avoid the repetition - should be: her conciliating esteem.
- 3:50,033-03:50,384 please cut the stumble to avoid the reptition of a syllable

--> i stopped with pling here, since this is quite a list, already.
i hope i could give you a picure of what you are able to do, to deliver a perfect recording :-)
so the next ten minutes are up to you to work with.
--> you have read so nicely, it would be a shame not to edit your recording!

thank you and once again, please: don't get frustrated!
your reading is wonderful - but we all have to do some edit work before uploading.

cheerio,
wolfi

@stav and amy: i pasted it into section 20, please see pl notes point 1.
Last edited by schrm on January 25th, 2021, 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe
de: sammlung prosa, hoffmann: sommerfrische, tante fritzchen
dpl: children of the abbey, hoffmann's

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » January 23rd, 2021, 12:20 pm

Thanks, wolfi!

dhandiR

Post by dhandiR » January 24th, 2021, 9:10 pm

No
-Bill Nye, probably

schrm

Post by schrm » January 25th, 2021, 3:00 am

dhandiR wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Hey, here's track 38 again (17:00):
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_38_roche_128kb.mp3
heyho,

i'm sorry,you misunderstood my pl note: the chapter you were reading is number 31 and you should correct the intro and read:
START of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [31] of The Children Of The Abbey . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Children Of The Abbey , by Regina Maria Roche . Chapter [31]"

i'm feeling so sorry for the inconvenience!

greetings from austria and
cheerio
wolfi
schrm wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 3:11 am
dhandiR wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 7:12 pm
Track #38 (16:59):
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_38_roche_128kb.mp3
Super sorry for accidentally claiming the wrong track number, this was the one I meant to claim :oops:
heyho,

your reading is wordperfect! i'm always feeling big amazement when realizing that a reading is absolutely true to the text in every little detail..
:D :clap:

one little mistake in the intro:
- chapter 21 instead of 31 (only the first seconds of the intro, the second mentioning is ok)

i don't know, if you want a little hint (you are reading wordperfect... :-)), but i keep a glass of water ready for my reading sessions. most times, i avoid to drink. but there are moments, where it is making the process of reading aloud just way easier.

cheerio,
wolfi

catherine247

Post by catherine247 » February 2nd, 2021, 1:47 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_20_roche_128kb.mp3

Here it is again! Chapter 16 :) Sorry for the mistakes in the first one

schrm

Post by schrm » February 5th, 2021, 6:58 am

catherine247 wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 1:47 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_20_roche_128kb.mp3

Here it is again! Chapter 16 :) Sorry for the mistakes in the first one
hi catherine,

you did a lot of work on this!
and i have to admit that i am ashamed and feeling sorry for not marking this pl ok, because you did a really good job this time!
but there are three points, which make it necessary to do so:

pl notes:

1. your file is too low in volume.
checker output: Volume
82,5 dB
we aim for 89db (and tolerate a range of +-3db).
(i think, that is a problem most people with a mac have. if you need help with this, i am not sure to be able to - but please leave me a note in this forum and i will try to answer you!)

2. the ending silence is missing.. we aim for 5 seconds of ending silence

3. there is a third point, which is of importance:
:!: 9:29-9:32 text: The confusion of Babel was, I really believe, inferior to that their tongues create, i hear: was, i really believe, inferior to the tongue of their cast :!:

:!: why is this so important? mistakes like that could be a hint to another reading source - and some editors works like this one may cause an edition to be not in the public domain. now, i case it was just a mindtrick: please ignore this pl note. i think, the contents are evident and met by your version, too. but in case you were using another reading source: please never do that! in extreme cases, this can lead to severe legal problems and claims, the audiobook gets taken down on archive.org, and even you as a reader may get into some (at least financial) troubles. :!:

in case you want a perfect recording, i advise to take care of these:
4. stumbles
0:54 stumble which is easy to cut: more apparent from his p pretending
2:25 stumble which should be easy to cut: yet, to the girl very girls
3:20 " prevented her conciliating exteem esteem.
... not a stumble: 4:13 there is a sort of bumping noise - maybe it is not avoidable, but maybe it is: sometimes this happens when you are bumping at the mic-stand, or at the table and the noise gets transferred over the table and ths tand into the mic.
4:57-4:58 stumble to cut or replace Luxury and ostentation were conspish conspicuous
6:41 I never saw so ridiculous a fisur figure
6:48 and that my poor fi sister and I
10:03,5 an uh stumble
ff... there are some of the short stumbling pauses which you were able to work on
12:24 stumble: and listed with a listened with evident pleasure
12:48 stumble on to sit down in con commerce (text: to sit down to commerce)

just to keep things orderly and mention it all:
you don't need to record anew, none of these pl notes require that and there are no pl notes, which make this necessary.
most of the pl notes i were written down are a fast cut, or and changing a setting in audacity. (or copypasting from a recorded single sentence)

thank you so much for your recording, i really liked it very much. i have listened to all of it and marked down my thoughts, because you are a really good reader!
i hope, the next upload is pl ok then!
and a big thank you for your patience!
thank you!

cheers
wolfi

johnb2

Post by johnb2 » February 7th, 2021, 9:56 pm

Hi Stav

looks like sections 4 / CHAPTER III. and section 5/ chapter 4 are long overdue, I'd be happy to do them.

miss stav

Post by miss stav » February 7th, 2021, 10:03 pm

Sure, have fun. Yes I did not yet start orphaning on this one. I problaby should. But sure you may have them.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

johnb2

Post by johnb2 » February 8th, 2021, 9:46 am

Put me down for section 6 also. Thank you.

miss stav

Post by miss stav » February 8th, 2021, 11:39 am

Sure.