[COMPLETE]Ingersoll on WALT WHITMAN, from the Works of Robert G. Ingersoll - ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ingersoll on WALT WHITMAN, from the Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 3.
Col. Ingersoll begins his lectures on famous people as follows: "It is hard to overstate the debt we owe to the men and women of genius. Take from our world what they have given, and all the niches would be empty, all the walls naked—meaning and connection would fall from words of poetry and fiction, music would go back to common air, and all the forms of subtle and enchanting Art would lose proportion and become the unmeaning waste and shattered spoil of thoughtless Chance." One of the most famous orators of his day, a contemporary and personal friend of Mark Twain and General Grant, Ingersoll's lectures in this series include: SHAKESPEARE, ROBERT BURNS, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VOLTAIRE, WALT WHITMAN, HUMBOLDT and THOMAS PAINE; followed by inspiring speeches on other personalities: THE GREAT INFIDELS; WHICH WAY? (science or superstition); and ABOUT THE HOLY BIBLE.
Each lecture in Volume 3, plus 2 lectures from Volume 1 (of the 12 volume Dresden Edition), will be presented on Librivox as a separate audiobook in the series called Ingersoll Lectures, Famous People. (~ Michele Fry)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ingersoll-on-walt-whitman-from-the-works-of-robert-g-ingersoll-volume-3-lecture-5-by-robert-g-ingersoll/

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38803/38803-h/38803-h.htm (Liberty In Literature)
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening: special (I will follow along with the text and notate any significant discrepancies - missing text, words that change meaning, etc).
      Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening!
      Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: * Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book: Whitman, Walt Whitman, Ingersoll, Robert Ingersoll, infidel, agnostic, lectures, orators, Leaves of Grass, poetry, old age

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (INTRO)
      • "Part [x] of Ingersoll on WALT WHITMAN, from the Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 3, Lecture 5, entitled "Liberty In Literature, A Testimonial To Walt Whitman"(italicized text is for Part 1 only). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"[/i]
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Ingersoll on WALT WHITMAN, Part X, Title (as shown in MW)

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Part X, Title]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Ingersoll on WALT WHITMAN, from the Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 3, Lecture 5, entitled "Liberty in Literature, A Testimony to Walt Whitman"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      ingersollv3whitman_##_ingersoll_128kb (all lower-case)[/b] where ## is the section number (e.g.) ingersollv3whitman_##_ingersoll_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy then post it in this forum thread, along with the file length.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below, or contact a team member:

BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
    MC: Amy Gramour (alg1001)
    DPL: Michele Fry (msfry)
    Cover: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on April 10th, 2020, 4:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hi.
Is it too early to ask for Humanity and Individuality?
This is not philosophical rhetoric, I just want to read those sections.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
msfry

Post by msfry »

realisticspeakers wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:18 am Hi.
Is it too early to ask for Humanity and Individuality?
This is not philosophical rhetoric, I just want to read those sections.
Sure. When I get a MW, I'll put you in for 5 INDIVIDUALITY and 6 HUMANITY. You can go ahead and record if you wish.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Michele,
The MW is ready now. Over to Readers Wanted..
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
msfry

Post by msfry »

alg1001 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:01 am Hi Michele,
The MW is ready now. Over to Readers Wanted..
Scramble we did. And ready we are. :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 2, please. (I hope it's racy!)
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am Section 2, please. (I hope it's racy!)
I won't know til I PL it, so hurry it up. I could use a shot of "racy" in my dotage! :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 10:14 am
KevinS wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am Section 2, please. (I hope it's racy!)
I won't know til I PL it, so hurry it up. I could use a shot of "racy" in my dotage! :D
Secret: I have always wanted to record a "bodice-ripper." A tasteful one.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 is PL OK, and quite interesting even though not racy. Thank you.
I didn't know Epicurus came up with "Happiness is the only good". I thought it was Ingersoll! At least the Colonel completed it this way:

"Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

E. gets a bad rap. Here's a translation from one of his 'letters.'

"When we say, then, that pleasure is the end and aim, we do not mean the pleasures of the prodigal or the pleasures of sensuality, as we are understood to do by some through ignorance, prejudice, or willful misrepresentation. By pleasure we mean the absence of pain in the body and of trouble in the soul. It is not an unbroken succession of drinking-bouts and of revelry, not sexual lust, not the enjoyment of the fish and other delicacies of a luxurious table, which produce a pleasant life; it is sober reasoning, searching out the grounds of every choice and avoidance, and banishing those beliefs through which the greatest tumults take possession of the soul."
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 12:50 pm E. gets a bad rap. Here's a translation from one of his 'letters.'

"When we say, then, that pleasure is the end and aim, we do not mean the pleasures of the prodigal or the pleasures of sensuality, as we are understood to do by some through ignorance, prejudice, or willful misrepresentation. By pleasure we mean the absence of pain in the body and of trouble in the soul. It is not an unbroken succession of drinking-bouts and of revelry, not sexual lust, not the enjoyment of the fish and other delicacies of a luxurious table, which produce a pleasant life; it is sober reasoning, searching out the grounds of every choice and avoidance, and banishing those beliefs through which the greatest tumults take possession of the soul."
I see you have a one year Librivox anniversary coming up, Kevin. How are you going to celebrate? Sensuality or sober reasoning? And in one short year you have already bypassed me in posts, and almost caught up to me in sections, (and I've been pretty busy at it for almost 7 years)!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 1:02 pm
KevinS wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 12:50 pm E. gets a bad rap. Here's a translation from one of his 'letters.'

I see you have a one year Librivox anniversary coming up, Kevin. How are you going to celebrate? Sensuality or sober reasoning? And in one short year you have already bypassed me in posts, and almost caught up to me in sections, (and I've been pretty busy at it for almost 7 years)!
I have had to 'strike while the iron is hot.' (I have no idea from where that comes or even what it really means!)

EDIT: Oh, it's from the blacksmith!
Levine

Post by Levine »

Hi, all.

Levine
May I claim section 9. IX - Religion ?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Levine wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 4:35 pm Hi, all.

Levine
May I claim section 9. IX - Religion ?
Indeed. You're in.