COMPLETE [ABRIDGED CLASSICS] Tales from Ariosto, by J.S.Nicholson-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Dear Readers awaiting PL.
I am on it.
I will get through them as fast as I possibly can, but have quite a few things to PL at the moment. Because after a quiet period, lots of PL suddenly all arrived at once (this project and another) and most are quite lengthy.
But I am really enjoying hearing them read, so please bear with me. Just wanted to let you know. I expect to get through all those currently up for PL within a week.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

StarshipElixir wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:05 pm Here's the link for Section 5 https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/talesfromariosto_05_nicholson_128kb.mp3

The length is 45:11.
Thank you for this.
The recording has a number of issues which need to be fixed, please. Did you do your own QA listening before submission? because this really is not ready to submit.

Cumulatively, there are a number of very strange sections, where the volume varies widely, often with echo and often almost inaudible. Are you perhaps moving yourself or the mike?

~ 12.38 to 12.45 is not easily intelligible. Starts very tentatively and is hard to hear. Could you redo it please? The text says ... and had informed King Sacripant that a like honourable duty was now...but what I hear doesn't seem to match this.
~ 14.21 - 14.26 has a loud noise in it, sounds like an echo chamber, some words missing and most of the others almost inaudible. I should hear : "At last, with her help, he gained his feet and stood silent and downcast.' but I can't.
~ 14.33 loud click
~ 15.05 - 15.30 Clicks, noises, echoing, highly varying volume, mostly inaudible with occasional snatches of words. ~ 21.05 stumble over prayers
~ 16.42 - 16.51 same
~ 19.03 - 19.13 full of echo
~ 21.23 and 21.25 clicks
~ 22.04 stumble at book
~ 22.40, 22.495 & 23.44 clicks
~ 23.48 - 23.58 sounds very remote and is hard to make out
~ 24.42 - 24.53 same
~ 25.0 - 25.07 same
~ 25/14 - 25.44

As there were so many bad sections, I stopped at this point (25.45) because writing all these up is immensely time consuming as will checking the revised file be.
I will ask you to please fix these errors, and then QA your own recording and remove any remaining more closely before resubmitting.

As you are quite new, are you familiar with how to edit these out and re record where necessary? When I am reading and realise I've made a mistake, I make a loud sound twice and then read the right thing - the double sound shows up easily in the waveform, which makes it quick and easy to go back and remove the offending passages.
A tip: start at the last item, and move backwards. Don't start at the beginning, because the time position of the item will change!
regards
Jane Bennett
WilkieMills

Post by WilkieMills »

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the guidance on my Ariosto reading. I really appreciate the time you took to explain.
Don't worry about me having to remove the open and closed quotes. While i was recording, I wondered if I should voice them, and should have raised the question. Now i know.

at any rate, I should be able to make the edits today or tomorrow, then get the revised file submitted ASAP.

I did have one concern about my reading. Is it too sow? I ask because my 45 minute duration seems out of proportion (re: number of pages) when compared to the other timings I see in the magic window.

Thanks again for your guidance,
Wilkie
WilkieMills

Post by WilkieMills »

Hi all,
Here is the link to my Ariosto reading.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/talesfromariosto_03_nicholson_128kb.mp3

I have removed the "Quote" / "Closed Quotes" from the recording.
I also inserted the last line on the bottom of p. 43 which i noticed was not recorded.

be well,
wilkie
WilkieMills

Post by WilkieMills »

oops!, i forgot to include the duration. it was 45:01.

and the link once again is
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/talesfromariosto_03_nicholson_128kb.mp3

sorry about that,
wilkie
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

WilkieMills wrote: August 4th, 2020, 3:35 am Hi Jane,

Thanks for the guidance on my Ariosto reading. I really appreciate the time you took to explain.
Don't worry about me having to remove the open and closed quotes. While i was recording, I wondered if I should voice them, and should have raised the question. Now i know.

at any rate, I should be able to make the edits today or tomorrow, then get the revised file submitted ASAP.

I did have one concern about my reading. Is it too sow? I ask because my 45 minute duration seems out of proportion (re: number of pages) when compared to the other timings I see in the magic window.

Thanks again for your guidance,
Wilkie
Hi Wilkie.
Yes, usually better to ask if you are not sure about something, as apart from anything else, it can save you from later editing.
Is it too slow? Look, there's no right/wrong answer to this. I didn't find it unbearably slow, and thought it was read really nicely. Could you or 'should' you speed it up a bit? That's entirely your choice. I would not be unhappy if it was slightly faster, but I am also happy as is. But that's only my opinion of course. If you are happy with the pace and it feels comfortable to you, stick with it. Some people read faster than others. I find it difficult to listen to people who read really really fast, because when you are listening only, there's simply no time to think about what you are listening to. But again, I emphasise no right/wrong here, your choice and preference.
I will re-PL the revised one when I can, but I need to do a first pass PL on the others waiting first.
regards
Jane Bennett
WilkieMills

Post by WilkieMills »

Hi Jane,

thank you for your generous and thoughtful response.

wilkie
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Jmbau13 wrote: August 4th, 2020, 10:08 pm Hi Wilkie.
Yes, usually better to ask if you are not sure about something, as apart from anything else, it can save you from later editing.
Is it too slow? Look, there's no right/wrong answer to this. I didn't find it unbearably slow, and thought it was read really nicely. Could you or 'should' you speed it up a bit? That's entirely your choice. I would not be unhappy if it was slightly faster, but I am also happy as is. But that's only my opinion of course. If you are happy with the pace and it feels comfortable to you, stick with it. Some people read faster than others. I find it difficult to listen to people who read really really fast, because when you are listening only, there's simply no time to think about what you are listening to. But again, I emphasise no right/wrong here, your choice and preference.
I will re-PL the revised one when I can, but I need to do a first pass PL on the others waiting first.
Besides thanking Jane for her careful PLing, I want to add my two-cents and agree with her reply on the reading pace. Reading too fast is worse than reading too slow, if anything. But personal preference (of the reader and of the listener) plays a huge part, and some prefer it faster and some slower, no right or wrong. Don't compare yourself to other people's speed, but find what feels comfortable for you. If it is too extreme, the PLer will flag it for you, certainly. :D
Leni
=================
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Hi Alan
I have PL'd your recording. I wondered why it was a lot shorter - not sure what happened but you have left out several pages.
From the bottom of p. 20 ~ 11.10, you then pick up again on p 29, leaving out the several pages between.
What is there is fine, but need the rest of the chapter, please.

Added: I have only just realised that this chapter was marked PL OK by someone else - I hadn't seen that, and thought the PL OK rating was a mistake on my part. I am sorry to reverse that, but just as well I did check it, given the large missing section.
Last edited by Jmbau13 on August 5th, 2020, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Leni wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:27 am Besides thanking Jane for her careful PLing, I want to add my two-cents and agree with her reply on the reading pace. Reading too fast is worse than reading too slow, if anything. But personal preference (of the reader and of the listener) plays a huge part, and some prefer it faster and some slower, no right or wrong. Don't compare yourself to other people's speed, but find what feels comfortable for you. If it is too extreme, the PLer will flag it for you, certainly. :D
Thanks for chiming in on both counts, Leni.
regards
Jane Bennett
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Jmbau13 wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:50 pm
I have PL'd your recording. I wondered why it was a lot shorter - not sure what happened but you have left out several pages.
From the bottom of p. 20 ~ 11.10, you then pick up again on p 29, leaving out the several pages between.
What is there is fine, but need the rest of the chapter, please.
Added: I have only just realised that this chapter was marked PL OK by someone else - I hadn't seen that, and thought the PL OK rating was a mistake on my part. I am sorry to reverse that, but just as well I did check it, given the large missing section.
I am puzzled by this. I uploaded this some time ago and it was PL OKed at the time. I suspect now that I left part of the recording out of the file I uploaded. I later deleted the files so any correction would mean rerecording. As I am now, for various reasons, restricting myself to recording only short sections I do not think i am up to this. So it may be best to reopen it and let someone else do it.
It is a pity this was not noticed by the original PL as it could then have been corrected very easily.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

alanmapstone wrote: August 6th, 2020, 5:38 am
I am puzzled by this. I uploaded this some time ago and it was PL OKed at the time. I suspect now that I left part of the recording out of the file I uploaded. I later deleted the files so any correction would mean rerecording. As I am now, for various reasons, restricting myself to recording only short sections I do not think i am up to this. So it may be best to reopen it and let someone else do it.
It is a pity this was not noticed by the original PL as it could then have been corrected very easily.
I am puzzled too, but would like to point out, before opening the section, that even if you don't have the original recording, Alan, you can download the one from the window, convert it back to .aup (or any program you use to record) and add the bit. It is usually recommended to do it on the original file because every time one converts and reconverts, there is a bit of a loss, but tests have shown that, for it to be really noticeable, you have to do that multiple times. So, doing it just once, in cases like that, is perfectly fine. If under these circumstances you would like to fill in the bit missing, please let me know. If you still wish to let go of the claim, of course we will do that as well.

Thanks!
Leni
=================
npfehr

Post by npfehr »

Jmbau13 wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 9:44 pm
npfehr wrote: July 5th, 2020, 7:16 am Here's section 1, 17:48
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/talesfromariosto_01_nicholson_128kb.mp3
Very nicely read and good to listen to. Thanks for reading, I enjoyed it.

There's just one tiny thing only:
~ 14.44 text is "...convey him to her father..." but I hear their father
Ok! Will fix as soon as I can :)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Leni wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:39 am
alanmapstone wrote: August 6th, 2020, 5:38 am I am puzzled by this. I uploaded this some time ago and it was PL OKed at the time. I suspect now that I left part of the recording out of the file I uploaded. I later deleted the files so any correction would mean rerecording. As I am now, for various reasons, restricting myself to recording only short sections I do not think i am up to this. So it may be best to reopen it and let someone else do it.
I am puzzled too, but would like to point out, before opening the section, that even if you don't have the original recording, Alan, you can download the one from the window, convert it back to .aup (or any program you use to record) and add the bit. It is usually recommended to do it on the original file because every time one converts and reconverts, there is a bit of a loss, but tests have shown that, for it to be really noticeable, you have to do that multiple times. So, doing it just once, in cases like that, is perfectly fine. If under these circumstances you would like to fill in the bit missing, please let me know. If you still wish to let go of the claim, of course we will do that as well.
As "the bit missing" is quite substantial I will give this up.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ok, section reopened.
Leni
=================