LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: July 19th, 2020, 2:14 pm Chapter 17, mysticism

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_17_fowler128kb.mp3

run time: 39:16
Thank you
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 17 PL Notes: two short repeats - 8:45 "here are fairly left behind here are fairly left behind" and 9:23 "One being...one being..."
All else perfect :D
Cheryl
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Mended!
Thank you for the listen and the corrections!

run time: 39:10

Mirabile dictu! This is indeed a "mystical" outcome :lol:
Audacity CRASHED about 2/3 of the way through this recording, although I was able to rescue about half of what was lost. It seems as if my OS doesn't like long file names, so I've started giving short names to the working files, until they are ready to be uploaded.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: July 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm Mended!
Thank you for the listen and the corrections!

run time: 39:10

Mirabile dictu! This is indeed a "mystical" outcome :lol:
Audacity CRASHED about 2/3 of the way through this recording, although I was able to rescue about half of what was lost. It seems as if my OS doesn't like long file names, so I've started giving short names to the working files, until they are ready to be uploaded.
Thank you
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 17 PL OK
Thank you
But please, no comments in Latin (pulling-hair-out smiley) its bad enough the author writes - so here is my point, everything so far is leading up to this, wait for it -"blah blah blahticus blaticus blaticum". I always wonder - if they think we read Latin why not just write in Latin. :lol: :lol: :D Cheryl
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

cherylstewart wrote: July 21st, 2020, 10:45 am Section 17 PL OK
Thank you
But please, no comments in Latin (pulling-hair-out smiley) its bad enough the author writes - so here is my point, everything so far is leading up to this, wait for it -"blah blah blahticus blaticus blaticum". I always wonder - if they think we read Latin why not just write in Latin. :lol: :lol: :D Cheryl
OMG, I SO hear you! That's part of my love/hate relationship with Fowler. He's clearly brilliant, and interesting as a lecturer. But every so often he HAS to give some lengthy quote in Latin. If you are lecturing in English, KEEP WITH THE PROGRAM. Lecture in English - the WHOLE lecture!!

It's terrifically challenging for us moderns. First: how many understand/learned spoken Latin (or Latin in any form, these days)? Second, there's the argument about spoken as "ave" - AVay - or AW-ay ? Mine sounds suspiciously like a cross between <ahem> someone's long-forgotten high school Spanish, one semester of Latin in <ahem never mind how long ago> college, and Italian-accented-English as-picked-up from older in-laws. Some day, I fear, some Latin scholar is going to become physically ill, listening to my version. :shock:

(Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter!) :wink:

P.S. I love your Latin - blahticus blaticum. :lol:
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: July 21st, 2020, 11:09 am
cherylstewart wrote: July 21st, 2020, 10:45 am Section 17 PL OK
Thank you
OMG, I SO hear you! That's part of my love/hate relationship with Fowler. He's clearly brilliant, and interesting as a lecturer. But every so often he HAS to give some lengthy quote in Latin. If you are lecturing in English, KEEP WITH THE PROGRAM. Lecture in English - the WHOLE lecture!!

It's terrifically challenging for us moderns. First: how many understand/learned spoken Latin (or Latin in any form, these days)? Second, there's the argument about spoken as "ave" - AVay - or AW-ay ? Mine sounds suspiciously like a cross between <ahem> someone's long-forgotten high school Spanish, one semester of Latin in <ahem never mind how long ago> college, and Italian-accented-English as-picked-up from older in-laws. Some day, I fear, some Latin scholar is going to become physically ill, listening to my version. :shock:

(Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter!) :wink:

P.S. I love your Latin - blahticus blaticum. :lol:
Heads up: 2 Latin scholars I know about: admin Maria (m8b1) and reader Pam (pnagami) :lol: :lol: :lol:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I've got my second appendix done. Sorry that I am not doing them in order but instead by the amount of Latin in them. But, I must confess, the Greek is even worse. At least I can deal fairly well with the French and German. I just wish he'd have done the whole thing in English.

Appendix 2 (Section 22)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_22_fowler_128kb.mp3
5:51

Thanks,

M
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

mleigh wrote: July 30th, 2020, 5:02 pm I've got my second appendix done. Sorry that I am not doing them in order but instead by the amount of Latin in them. But, I must confess, the Greek is even worse. At least I can deal fairly well with the French and German. I just wish he'd have done the whole thing in English.

Appendix 2 (Section 22)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_22_fowler_128kb.mp3
5:51

Thanks,

M
Thank you
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 22 PL OK
Cheryl
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

sigh. Our dear Prof. Fowler needs some more attention. The rascal.

Anyhow, sign me up for Section 7: THE DEITIES OF THE EARLIEST RELIGION: GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

It will take me some time to get to it, but we WILL see him through!! 8-)

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: August 6th, 2020, 11:43 am sigh. Our dear Prof. Fowler needs some more attention. The rascal.

Anyhow, sign me up for Section 7: THE DEITIES OF THE EARLIEST RELIGION: GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

It will take me some time to get to it, but we WILL see him through!! 8-)

Owlivia/Deborah
All yours.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I have uploaded the following:

24 Appendix IV - Ius and Fas
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_24_fowler_128kb.mp3
7:22

I believe my upload of 25 Appendix V - The Worship of Sacred Utensils was inadvertently missed. I'll go hunt it down and repost.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mleigh wrote: July 12th, 2020, 8:39 am Appendix 5 is ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_25_fowler_128kb.mp3
2:57

Please let me know of any issues, or if you want to fire me because I butchered the Latin.

M
Here is Appendix V that I mentioned in my previous post.

M