(Lectures) The Religious Experience of the Roman People by W. Warde Fowler - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Owlivia
Posts: 130
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » July 19th, 2020, 2:14 pm


Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20074
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » July 19th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Owlivia wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Chapter 17, mysticism

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_17_fowler128kb.mp3

run time: 39:16
Thank you
I will be gone July 27-August 7. I will try to check in daily, but will not be able to PL or catalog projects until my return. Any emergencies, please contact another admin.

cherylstewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » July 20th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Section 17 PL Notes: two short repeats - 8:45 "here are fairly left behind here are fairly left behind" and 9:23 "One being...one being..."
All else perfect :D
Cheryl

Owlivia
Posts: 130
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » July 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Mended!
Thank you for the listen and the corrections!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_17_fowler128kb.mp3

run time: 39:10

Mirabile dictu! This is indeed a "mystical" outcome :lol:
Audacity CRASHED about 2/3 of the way through this recording, although I was able to rescue about half of what was lost. It seems as if my OS doesn't like long file names, so I've started giving short names to the working files, until they are ready to be uploaded.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20074
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » July 20th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Owlivia wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm
Mended!
Thank you for the listen and the corrections!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_17_fowler128kb.mp3

run time: 39:10

Mirabile dictu! This is indeed a "mystical" outcome :lol:
Audacity CRASHED about 2/3 of the way through this recording, although I was able to rescue about half of what was lost. It seems as if my OS doesn't like long file names, so I've started giving short names to the working files, until they are ready to be uploaded.
Thank you
I will be gone July 27-August 7. I will try to check in daily, but will not be able to PL or catalog projects until my return. Any emergencies, please contact another admin.

cherylstewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » July 21st, 2020, 10:45 am

Section 17 PL OK
Thank you
But please, no comments in Latin (pulling-hair-out smiley) its bad enough the author writes - so here is my point, everything so far is leading up to this, wait for it -"blah blah blahticus blaticus blaticum". I always wonder - if they think we read Latin why not just write in Latin. :lol: :lol: :D Cheryl

Owlivia
Posts: 130
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » July 21st, 2020, 11:09 am

cherylstewart wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 10:45 am
Section 17 PL OK
Thank you
But please, no comments in Latin (pulling-hair-out smiley) its bad enough the author writes - so here is my point, everything so far is leading up to this, wait for it -"blah blah blahticus blaticus blaticum". I always wonder - if they think we read Latin why not just write in Latin. :lol: :lol: :D Cheryl
OMG, I SO hear you! That's part of my love/hate relationship with Fowler. He's clearly brilliant, and interesting as a lecturer. But every so often he HAS to give some lengthy quote in Latin. If you are lecturing in English, KEEP WITH THE PROGRAM. Lecture in English - the WHOLE lecture!!

It's terrifically challenging for us moderns. First: how many understand/learned spoken Latin (or Latin in any form, these days)? Second, there's the argument about spoken as "ave" - AVay - or AW-ay ? Mine sounds suspiciously like a cross between <ahem> someone's long-forgotten high school Spanish, one semester of Latin in <ahem never mind how long ago> college, and Italian-accented-English as-picked-up from older in-laws. Some day, I fear, some Latin scholar is going to become physically ill, listening to my version. :shock:

(Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter!) :wink:

P.S. I love your Latin - blahticus blaticum. :lol:

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20074
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » July 21st, 2020, 3:25 pm

Owlivia wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:09 am
cherylstewart wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 10:45 am
Section 17 PL OK
Thank you
But please, no comments in Latin (pulling-hair-out smiley) its bad enough the author writes - so here is my point, everything so far is leading up to this, wait for it -"blah blah blahticus blaticus blaticum". I always wonder - if they think we read Latin why not just write in Latin. :lol: :lol: :D Cheryl
OMG, I SO hear you! That's part of my love/hate relationship with Fowler. He's clearly brilliant, and interesting as a lecturer. But every so often he HAS to give some lengthy quote in Latin. If you are lecturing in English, KEEP WITH THE PROGRAM. Lecture in English - the WHOLE lecture!!

It's terrifically challenging for us moderns. First: how many understand/learned spoken Latin (or Latin in any form, these days)? Second, there's the argument about spoken as "ave" - AVay - or AW-ay ? Mine sounds suspiciously like a cross between <ahem> someone's long-forgotten high school Spanish, one semester of Latin in <ahem never mind how long ago> college, and Italian-accented-English as-picked-up from older in-laws. Some day, I fear, some Latin scholar is going to become physically ill, listening to my version. :shock:

(Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter!) :wink:

P.S. I love your Latin - blahticus blaticum. :lol:
Heads up: 2 Latin scholars I know about: admin Maria (m8b1) and reader Pam (pnagami) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will be gone July 27-August 7. I will try to check in daily, but will not be able to PL or catalog projects until my return. Any emergencies, please contact another admin.

mleigh
Posts: 97
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 2:19 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by mleigh » July 30th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I've got my second appendix done. Sorry that I am not doing them in order but instead by the amount of Latin in them. But, I must confess, the Greek is even worse. At least I can deal fairly well with the French and German. I just wish he'd have done the whole thing in English.

Appendix 2 (Section 22)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_22_fowler_128kb.mp3
5:51

Thanks,

M

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20074
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 1st, 2020, 2:09 am

mleigh wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 5:02 pm
I've got my second appendix done. Sorry that I am not doing them in order but instead by the amount of Latin in them. But, I must confess, the Greek is even worse. At least I can deal fairly well with the French and German. I just wish he'd have done the whole thing in English.

Appendix 2 (Section 22)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/religiousromanpeople_22_fowler_128kb.mp3
5:51

Thanks,

M
Thank you
I will be gone July 27-August 7. I will try to check in daily, but will not be able to PL or catalog projects until my return. Any emergencies, please contact another admin.

cherylstewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » August 1st, 2020, 12:33 pm

Section 22 PL OK
Cheryl

Post Reply