[COMPLETE] [Fictional War Biography] Lay Down Your Arms by Bertha von Suttner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

UPRG11W wrote: March 27th, 2021, 5:03 am PL note:

I listened to the following sections and thank you again for your contributions!

Please add the "list of the content" at the beginning of chapter 11 to section 43, which I quote here for you. The rest of section 43 (main content for part 1 of chapter 11) is well read and recorded.
"The Austrian reverses increase.—Sketches from the seat of war, showing its realities, as viewed by a soldier who abhors war.—Death of poor Puxl.—My husband avows his determination never to serve in another campaign."

Regards,
Jessie
Katharina21 wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:29 am Section 43, 7 min 42 s, https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_43_suttner_128kb.mp3
Katharina
ah sorry jessie, i misunderstood you:
it is up to the reader to decide about reading these brief summaries.
i know, this is not the best rule for a unified approach, but to my opinion the most reader centric and -respecting strategy.

footnotes and these brief summaries are the big exlusions of our rule "never omit or change, what the author wrote".
also for readers, they can be boring, or troubling regarding spoilers and the ability to follow the content.
(i myself prefer to read them, though. but i am not a spoiler person, at all.
and to spoil the fun for a spoiler person is not what i want to demand)

--> it is not ok to change these, but i decided upon it and wrote it in the first posting: it is ok to omit them.

so, if i understand this correctly: section 43 is missing these summaries at the beginning of each chapter and there is nothing else to do?
then it is pl ok!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

Yes, section 43 is updated as PL OK.

Many thanks for the instructions!

Regards,
Jessie
schrm wrote: March 27th, 2021, 5:17 am
UPRG11W wrote: March 27th, 2021, 5:03 am PL note:

I listened to the following sections and thank you again for your contributions!

Please add the "list of the content" at the beginning of chapter 11 to section 43, which I quote here for you. The rest of section 43 (main content for part 1 of chapter 11) is well read and recorded.
"The Austrian reverses increase.—Sketches from the seat of war, showing its realities, as viewed by a soldier who abhors war.—Death of poor Puxl.—My husband avows his determination never to serve in another campaign."

Regards,
Jessie
Katharina21 wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:29 am Section 43, 7 min 42 s, https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_43_suttner_128kb.mp3
Katharina
ah sorry jessie, i misunderstood you:
it is up to the reader to decide about reading these brief summaries.
i know, this is not the best rule for a unified approach, but to my opinion the most reader centric and -respecting strategy.

footnotes and these brief summaries are the big exlusions of our rule "never omit or change, what the author wrote".
also for readers, they can be boring, or troubling regarding spoilers and the ability to follow the content.
(i myself prefer to read them, though. but i am not a spoiler person, at all.
and to spoil the fun for a spoiler person is not what i want to demand)

--> it is not ok to change these, but i decided upon it and wrote it in the first posting: it is ok to omit them.

so, if i understand this correctly: section 43 is missing these summaries at the beginning of each chapter and there is nothing else to do?
then it is pl ok!
czandra

Post by czandra »

Jessie wrote

Here is my feedback on section 41.

4:55 extra "we were" before "were some battalions  ..."
6:22 - 6:32 some beeps appeared in the background

Hi, Jessie:

I have made these corrections. I keep forgetting to stop my pendulum clock when I record!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_41_suttner_128kb.mp3
9m 22s
Last edited by czandra on March 27th, 2021, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said,
"no one would come here if they weren't allowed to talk out loud."
So I read out loud.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

FYI, I also updated the length for section 44 as 9:03, instead of 9:04. It seems that the length is shown on my side as the second not rounded to the nearest integer but trimmed off to the nearby smaller integer. For example, section 43 was shown to me as 7:41 instead of 7:42.
One or two seconds on either side is okay. I am aware that some systems round up and some down, so I take that into account when comparing run times at cataloging time. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

:clap:
TriciaG wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:27 am
FYI, I also updated the length for section 44 as 9:03, instead of 9:04. It seems that the length is shown on my side as the second not rounded to the nearest integer but trimmed off to the nearby smaller integer. For example, section 43 was shown to me as 7:41 instead of 7:42.
One or two seconds on either side is okay. I am aware that some systems round up and some down, so I take that into account when comparing run times at cataloging time. :)
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

PL note:

I listened to both sections and they are both updated as "PL OK". Many thanks for your nice recordings!

I will try to PL section 39 tomorrow.

Regards, 
Jessie
schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you so much to all of you!
you did great work today, jessie!
special thx to you!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
czandra

Post by czandra »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_66_suttner_128kb.mp3 9.76 KB 10m24s
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_67_suttner_128kb.mp3 14.50 KB 15m 28s
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_68_suttner_128kb.mp3 17.58 KB 18m45s
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_74_suttner_128kb.mp3 12.20 KB 13m01s
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_75_suttner_128kb.mp3 9.28 KB 9m54s

chapter headings fixed. I fixed and loaded 41 this morning. 42 and 76 were ok as they were.

Thanks for your comments on quality of voice. Good to get positive feedback.

Czandra
So I read out loud.
drandall

Post by drandall »

schrm wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:09 am
drandall wrote: March 21st, 2021, 6:54 pm I would like to claim:

Sec. 57, Chap. 14, Part 2
Sec. 58, Chap. 14, Part 3
Sec. 59, Chap. 14, Part 4
Sec. 60, Chap. 14, Part 5
hi drandall,

welcome back :-)

chapter 14 is yours!
:clap: :D

thank you so much!

we are fully claimed for the first time!
unbelieable, what cleanup march did for this project...

where are phil's dancing gifs?
:lol: :clap: :birthday:
In section 60 any suggestions on how to read the underlined text: "into the trench, the d——d Prussian.”
Thanks,
drandall
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

UPRG11W wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:38 am PL note:

I listened to both sections and they are both updated as "PL OK". Many thanks for your nice recordings!

Regards, 
Jessie
thank you for having to put up with me :lol:
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
czandra

Post by czandra »

drandall: damned. It's sure not "dead"! When looking at a text visually, reader always puts the missing letters in, doesn't s/he? Even if s/he doesn't sound them out in the mind! I'd just say it. This book is pretty straight-forward (I read 8 sections). Verdammt in German is fairly common.

Czandra
Last edited by czandra on March 28th, 2021, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
So I read out loud.
drandall

Post by drandall »

Ok, sounds good!
Thanks,
drandall
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd do what the author intended: slur it together. :) (That D--d word occurs a lot like that in old books.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
schrm

Post by schrm »

drandall wrote: March 27th, 2021, 5:50 pm In section 60 any suggestions on how to read the underlined text: "into the trench, the d——d Prussian.”
TriciaG wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:19 pm I'd do what the author intended: slur it together. :) (That D--d word occurs a lot like that in old books.)
the suggestion to slur it together, means that, to mumble and stutter it, somehow?
that's genius!
like "that da... sigh prussians"?
-------------------

my answer is not that genius:
interpretation is up to the reader, but..
in all honesty, i would read it as a censored version.

here are my thoughts:
- our rule never change or omit what is printed (unless it is a footnote, or one the keyword-summaries undertitles, or evidently a typo)
- von suttner was herself a member of that class, and in this book wrote about austrian nobility. they were speaking a dialect-version of german, several languages, but were not known for vulgar language.
- speaking as a servant to an upper class member, he may have used the same upper class dialect version of german - but: i doubt, they used the word damned.
- we austrians censor words like these in our every day communication, but have no nobility anymore (there are laws, which degrade them). eg the word sh*** is rather common, but it is also common to abbreviate it to "shshsh" (even in speaking).
- i looked at the german version of the text and found the word damned several times - but i never found it in the context of persons (or enemies - lay down your arms is the tite of the book, isn't it? she was against war propaganda for sure, but hated the warlords).

that said, i'm fine with your decision. you can even read the letters including the underlines, like given.

what i can add is, i can suggest to trust your feeling: while reading, let the text carrying you and leading you (to find your solution).
it should be a solution, which is fine for you as the reader!

cheers,
wolfi
Last edited by schrm on March 27th, 2021, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:09 pm
UPRG11W wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:38 am PL note:

Regards, 
Jessie
thank you for having to put up with me :lol:
big thx to both of you :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275