Complete-[Politcs/Philosophy]Enquiry Concerning Political Justice Vol1-William Godwin-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks, William! I'll PL soon.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Prompted by the TV offering this evening, please let me have

Section 32 - Of the Cultivation of Truth
and
Section 33 - Of the Connection between Understanding and Virtue
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi William,
I signed you up for 32 and 33.
Your readings are great. He has quite a way with words. I like the notion that regarding a woman there can be a "voluptuous softness of her temper." Section 9 is PL OK.
Section 8 has a repeat of "referring" at 27:12.
At 40.23, I hear "Are all good stories of adventure false?" The text has "Are all good stories of our nature false?"
It isn't word perfect so I will leave that up to you whether you want to change it.
Thanks!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thanks for the PLIng of Section 8.

I'll make those changes and upload the corrected file this afternoon.
You've got me hooked on Godwin!

Look at this chronology! A nest of pragmatists and anarchists all with overlapping lifetimes.
Bentham 1748 - 1832
Godwin 1756 - 1836
JSMill 1806 - 1873
CSPeirce 1839 - 1914
Dewey 1859 - 1952

Jeremy Bentham, a philosopher and scientist in his own right, was hired by John Stuart Mill's wealthy parents to be his live-in tutor. Such was the practice for rich people back in them there days when public schools didn't exist yet and universities were scarce. That's where Mill got his idea of "The greatest good for the greatest number concept".

I'm not sure where Godwin comes in. I have a fuzzy notion that he started out sowing the seeds of Utilitarianism and then took a trip outta town on the Anarchy train. I intend to learn more.

John Stuart Mill is the father of Utilitarianism, for which he created a "calculus" to be used in deciding between right and wrong actions. I mean, a calculus with actual numbers and such.

And, Peirce "made his bones" by a wonderful but critical book on Mill's Theory of Utilitarianism and coined the term "Pragmatism". His most successful disciple was John Dewey. They formed the leading edge of Pragmatism.

Then there's John Dewey. He treated the human mind as an engineer's (meaning mechanicl guy, not a train driver) Black Box. He proceeded to describe how our minds work in response to stimuli (including reflection on the results) but NOT what mechanisms inside the brain were involved. Mr. American Pragmatism.

If I had a dollar for every time someone called me a boring nerd..
I'd have a mean daily income of $5.64 with a standard deviation of $1.25
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

haha :lol: I love that. You certainly aren't a boring nerd!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

alg1001 wrote: February 5th, 2020, 7:48 am Hi William,
<snip>
Section 8 has a repeat of "referring" at 27:12.
At 40.23, I hear "Are all good stories of adventure false?" The text has "Are all good stories of our nature false?"
<snip>!
-Amy
Section 8 uploaded with both PL problems fixed.
Thanks for being patient.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi William,
Your edits are seamless. PL OK :thumbs:
Thank you!
Amy
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you, William! I will PL soon.
-Amy :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Wonderful. Thanks, William! :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi William,
Sections 32 and 33 are PL OK. You have such a personable approach to these readings. I think Godwin would be delighted with your narration.
Thanks!
-Amy
Jddykst

Post by Jddykst »

I believe Sections 24, 25, and 26 are still open? I'd like to give them a try if I could -

Jim D.
Jim D.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow just as well -Mark Twain
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

alg1001 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 7:07 pm Hi William,
Sections 32 and 33 are PL OK. You have such a personable approach to these readings. I think Godwin would be delighted with your narration.
Thanks!
-Amy
Why, thank you very much for this compliment!
I *am* digging around trying to learn more about Godwin.

Here is a thread I'm following:

Memoirs of the Author of a Vindication of the Rights of Woman by William Godwin
Author‎: ‎Godwin, William, 1756-1836 EBook-No‎: ‎16199 (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16199)
Downloads‎: ‎128 downloads in the last 30 days I'm thinking that this spurt of downloads of Godwin's book and the starting up of your Godwin project are connected.

That author mentioned in his title was Mary Wollstonecraft.

Mary's Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wollstonecraft

This article starts with:

Mary Wollstonecraft; 27 April 1759 – 10 September 1797) was an English writer, philosopher, and advocate of women's rights. Until the late 20th century, Wollstonecraft's life, which encompassed several unconventional personal relationships at the time, received more attention than her writing. Today Wollstonecraft is regarded as one of the founding feminist philosophers, and feminists often cite both her life and her works as important influences.

During her brief career, she wrote novels, treatises, a travel narrative, a history of the French Revolution, a conduct book, and a children's book. Wollstonecraft is best known for A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792), in which she argues that women are not naturally inferior to men, but appear to be only because they lack education. She suggests that both men and women should be treated as rational beings and imagines a social order founded on reason.

After two ill-fated affairs, with Henry Fuseli and Gilbert Imlay (by whom she had a daughter, Fanny Imlay), Wollstonecraft married the philosopher William Godwin, one of the forefathers of the anarchist movement. Wollstonecraft died at the age of 38 leaving behind several unfinished manuscripts. She died eleven days after giving birth to her second daughter, Mary Shelley, who would become an accomplished writer and author of Frankenstein.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison