COMPLETE [GRP] State of the Union Addresses 1893-1896 – kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Paultym

Post by Paultym »

May I claim Sections 7, 8, and 9?

Thanks, Paul
linny

Post by linny »

Paultym wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 7:41 pm May I claim Sections 7, 8, and 9?

Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul. Nice to see you back for another round. Thanks for the claim. :thumbs:
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Paultym

Post by Paultym »

linny

Post by linny »

As always, great reading!

25:23 repeat - I desire to recur to the statements elsewhere made concerning the Government's receipts and expenditures for the purpose of venturing upon some suggestions touching our present tariff law and its operation.

I wonder when this mentality change? “The Government thus applying a surplus fortunately in its Treasury to the payment of expenses not met by its current revenues is not at all to be likened to a man living beyond his income and thus incurring debt or encroaching on his principal.”
linny

Post by linny »

Paul, I'll try and PLed tonight for you. If not then tomorrow morning.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/stateoftheunion_1893_1896_12_various_128kb.mp3
[43:42]
25:23 repeat - I desire to recur to the statements elsewhere made concerning the Government's receipts and expenditures for the purpose of venturing upon some suggestions touching our present tariff law and its operation.
Fixed.
I wonder when this mentality change? “The Government thus applying a surplus fortunately in its Treasury to the payment of expenses not met by its current revenues is not at all to be likened to a man living beyond his income and thus incurring debt or encroaching on his principal.”
I dunno. Was there ever a change? It just makes me ponder how close I am to collecting social security and if I ever will.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

Paultym wrote: January 5th, 2020, 9:13 pm Here is Section 7 (Length = 30:19)
Thanks! Paul

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/stateoftheunion_1893_1896_7_various_128kb.mp3
Paul,
Great reading! I really like your use of pauses. PL OK!

For your future sections, please be mindful that the section number should be two digits: 07. No need to upload this one again. I made a note and it will be changed prior to cataloging.
linny

Post by linny »

Section 12 is spot check PL OK. Thank you for your continued support of this project. You haven't missed one yet. :D

Next, we actually reach 1900.
Paultym

Post by Paultym »

Here is Section 8 (Length = 36:40)

Thank you for putting forth the time in being the MC on this project. I remembered the "08" this time! :D Always open to feedback.

- Paul

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/stateoftheunion_1893_1896_08_various_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Paul,
Great section!

Two small changes for you.

7:13 word change - Though neither the warmth of our people's sympathy with the Cuban insurgents, nor our loss and material damage consequent upon the futile endeavors thus far made to restore peace and order, nor any shock our humane sensibilities may have received from the cruelties which appear to especially characterize this sanguinary and fiercely conducted war, have in the least shaken the determination of the Government to honestly fulfill every international obligation, yet it is to be earnestly hoped on every ground that the devastation of armed conflict may speedily be stayed and order and quiet restored to the distracted island, bringing in their train the activity and thrift of peaceful pursuits.

17:03 missing word - The matter having been committed to the consideration of the Secretary of State, in pursuance of his recommendations an Executive order was issued on the 20th of September, 1895, by the terms of which it is provided that after that date any vacancy in a consulate or commercial agency with an annual salary or compensation from official fees of not more than $2,500 or less than $1,000 should be filled either by transfer or promotion from some other position under the Department of State of a character tending to qualify the incumbent for the position to be filled, or by the appointment of a person not under the Department of State, but having previously served thereunder and shown his capacity and fitness for consular duty, or by the appointment of a person who, having been selected by the President and sent to a board for examination, is found upon such examination to be qualified for the position.
Paultym

Post by Paultym »

Here is the corrected version of Section 8. Thanks for pointing out those two errors. The file length remains 36:40.

Thank you,
Paul

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/stateoftheunion_1893_1896_08_various_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Paul,
Section 8 is spot check PL OK. Great edits!
Paultym

Post by Paultym »

Here is Section 9. File length = 39:37

NOTE: I initially uploaded this same file with a hyphen between 1893 and 1896 within the file name, then soon uploaded it again (corrected) after I noticed my mistake.

Thanks!
- Paul

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/stateoftheunion_1893_1896_09_various_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Paul,
Wonderful work! Thank you for your efforts. PL OK!

Thank you for letting us know about the other upload. The one you posted will go to the catalog.