[COMPLETE][SciFi]Nequa or The Problem of the Ages by "Jack Adams" -lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Nequa or The Problem of the Ages by Jack Adams .

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/nequa-by-jack-adams/
NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages is one of the first feminist science fiction books published in the United States. It was first serialized in the newspaper Equity, and two editions were published in Topeka, Kansas in 1900. The voyage described in NEQUA is to the Arctic. The captain of the ship is amazed to find that when they reach a certain spot, which should be close to the North Pole, the compass shows that the ship is suddenly traveling south. Actually they have sailed into the interior of the Earth, where they meet the Altrurians, a people who have developed a more cooperative society than those of the outer Earth. Individual Altrurians describe how the evolution of their society took place. These explanations reflect the populist thought of the time, with definite feminist tendencies, thereby providing the tone of a political novel.
While the book was published with the pseudonym of Jack Adams, it was copyrighted under the names Alcanoan A. Grigsby and Mary P. Lowe, who are presumed to be the true authors.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55505
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams. [Section title]"

Please do not read summary bullets at the start of the chapter.

END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter # and if applicable part #"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    7. Example filename nequa_##_adams_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. nequa_01_adams_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by hdcn on October 7th, 2019, 10:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this. Be back in a bit with the MW.

Do you really want word-perfect PL, where the listener notes every deviation from the text? You could also do a "Special" PL and spell out your requirements (such as, noting changes that affect the meaning rather than every little difference).
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Err - confused. You have "solo" in the title, but you used the group project template - on the item "Type of project" you put Collaborative.

So, is it a solo or a group project?
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Tricia,

This is intended as a solo project, but I submitted it using the wrong template. I have made the corrections, above, and it is now correctly identified as a solo. Regular proof listening is fine for this project; that was an oversight on my part. Please check the initial post again to ensure that everything now looks to be correct. Thanks!

Jeff B.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, looks good.

I did shorten the suggested file name. I don't think you need the whole title in the file name in this case, though that's what the template generator produces. :)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Jeff,
Any idea when the authors died? I'd like to DPL if you'll have me (gotta repay the favour! ;) ) but I don't wanna go and break copyright law and all :hmm:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I did a web search but didn't find anything.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Foon, The authorship question is a bit complicated, since "Jack Adams" was in fact a pseudonym, and many sources attribute the actual authorship to the copyrighters, Alcanoan O. Grigsby and Mary P. Lowe. I wasn't able to find a date of death on either of those two individuals; however, the Internet Archive has made a determination that this is a public domain work in the United States:

https://archive.org/details/nequa_lowegrimsby_1900

You may find some information there that could be applicable to your location as well.

Tricia - I was actually wondering if I should somehow credit the copyrighters when introducing the work, since they are widely believed to be the actual authors. For example, could I read "NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams. Copyrighted 1900 by A. O. Grigsby and Mary P. Lowe. Chapter 1..."?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I thought about this when I set up the Magic Window.

I entered "Jack Adams" as an author, but in the description for "him" I said that the name was a pseudonym for Grigsby and Lowe.

Usually we do credit the book author as published, especially on well-known names such as Mark Twain and Sapper. This one is more obscure, so it's more of a question.

I wouldn't credit them as the publishers/copyrighters, though. That just seems weird. :lol: I suppose on the very first intro and the very last outro, you could do something like "...Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams, pseudonym for Alcanoan O. Grigsby and Mary P. Lowe." But on the intros for the rest of the chapters leave it as "...Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Since there's an introductory, do you want the project to start with section #0, so that the chapter and section numbers line up?

(In the intro, instead of "Chapter zero of...", you could simply say "Introductory to...")
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

TriciaG wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:51 pm Since there's an introductory, do you want the project to start with section #0, so that the chapter and section numbers line up?

(In the intro, instead of "Chapter zero of...", you could simply say "Introductory to...")
That sounds like an excellent idea!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Done! And with that, I'm moving this to Going Solo. :)
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Thanks, Tricia. I plan to actually begin recording on November 1st, since I will have the house all to myself for a couple of months (and, by then, the air conditioning will be off!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Explanatory section PL OK!

I'll DPL for you. :)
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

TriciaG wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 12:31 pm Explanatory section PL OK!

I'll DPL for you. :)
Thanks so much for your continuing help with this project! I've finished recording the first chapter, and am about one third of the way through the editing. Just checking in...

Jeff B.