[Complete] The Complete Works of Brann the Iconoclast Volume 12 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PL NOTES for Section 12.

Michele, yours was a marvelous rendering of this threnody.
You and your coterie of like-minded Librivoxers have become acquainted with orators of the likes of Clarence Darrow, William Jennings Bryan, and most importantly, Robert G. Ingersoll. Your reading of this lament by Brann's friend W. H. Ward earns you a place alongside these other great orators.

DANG! you did this well. I wish it had been recorded on video so that your body language could have added that final exquisite touch.

There were a couple of things you might want to fix:
5:06 heard "in an ISLAND Texas town"
s/b "in an INLAND Texas town"

5:44 heard "silken skeen" (rhymes with TEEN, but is a non-word)
s/b "silken skein" (SKAIN rhymes with RAIN)
This is not a matter of pronunciation but replacing a non-word by Ward's intended word.

Again: you did a marvelous job with Ward's warm and heartfelt words.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

12 re-upped with corrections.

Many authors do seem to wax overblown melodious when they get on a high roll, and I guess I'm partial to vocalizing their heart-felt words. Thanks for yours. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast12_12_brann_128kb.mp3 10:52
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 8:52 pm Section 13 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast12_13_brann_128kb.mp3 14:11
Section 13 had to be a little bit of a let-down after Section 12.
Your recitation was spot on, but the content lacked the grandeur of Ward's world-class oratory. Yes, you read this well and good, and I appreciate that you took the time to do this section. Not an easy one.

PL OK! :thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Hey, Bill, I'd like to claim a section. Do you have a recommendation for me?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Sorry folks!
I haven't been receiving messages for almost 2 weeks!

Will hop right on the pending sections waiting for attention.

I unsubscribed and then-resubscribed and VOILA! I got msfry's message... and the others too.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Section 3 - PL OK on 10/20
Thanks for such a fine reading, Rita.
These several death notices deserve to be read, even tho there is substantial repetition, because each adds a little bit to his renown.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Section 4 PL OK 10/20

In this section we get a morbid glimpse into the death of Tom Davis who is otherwise viewed as the man who shot Brann in the back.
Well done, Rita! Thank you.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

TY and I may as well go ahead and grab a few more:

I can do 09, 11, 18 and 19

Although Brann was such a bombastic figure and apt to create enemies wherever he went, and no doubt gave Davis a mighty rotten look as he passed him on the street, still, shooting a man in the back will get you the kind of death Davis suffered.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PL NOTES Section 24

Brian, your reading of the listed Section 24 is excellent, that part being error-free.

HOWEVER, I have a favor to ask of you:

Section 23 "Simple Statement of Fact", altho standing alone as in independent item in the Table of Contents, really should be, instead, as a first paragraph of your section 24. This section 23 is attributed to W. H. Ward, and it gives attribution of section 24 to a Mr. Shaw. It will only be an additional 1 minute of recording time.

I am going to ask YOU to insert that minute of text into Section 24 and re-submit it.
And, I am going to ask Lynne whether I can remove section 23 from the Magic Window without causing a re-numbering of the following sections.

Please let me know.
Thanks
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

NOTE TO SECTION 25 - THE LAST LESSON

Section 24 ends with the words:
"— when he was shooting* another man, in the hack,"
and the signature "W. H. Ward" (or, in "m Wi ^")

Section 25 should begin with the words under that signature:
"Reference has been made hy Judge Gerald to the pathetic
tragedy in Brann's life because of the loss of his daughter.
The burden of sorrow which he bore is beautifully revealed
in the following account of that tragedy which was written
hy Brann"

This text gives notice that the "Last lesson" text of section 25 was written by Brann, himself.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

RitaBoutros wrote: October 20th, 2019, 4:54 am TY and I may as well go ahead and grab a few more:

I can do 09, 11, 18 and 19

Although Brann was such a bombastic figure and apt to create enemies wherever he went, and no doubt gave Davis a mighty rotten look as he passed him on the street, still, shooting a man in the back will get you the kind of death Davis suffered.
As Pharaoh said: So let it be written. So let it be done.
Thanks!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: October 20th, 2019, 5:12 am PL NOTES Section 24
And, I am going to ask Lynne whether I can remove section 23 from the Magic Window without causing a re-numbering of the following sections.
I can answer this for you. Yes, it renumbers all sections below the deleted section. However, since you only have 2 recorded sections below this, and one has to make other changes to their file already, it would probably not be too much to ask jfgallagher to change his Intro and Outro slightly to reflect a different section #. If the deletion occurred up in the beginning of the MW with many files completed, that would post a greater challenge.

Since you can't actually delete a section (MC has to do that), you can just move it to the bottom of the MW and erase the data, and leave it to Lynne to remove it before cataloguing.

Have you thought about a section for me to record?