[Semi-autobiographical fiction] The Conquest (The Story of a Negro Pioneer) by Oscar Micheaux - mas

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 1st, 2019, 6:46 pm

Just to throw a little clarity into the discussion . . . .

The the place name is Calias which is NOT french. It is either of Greek origin, kallias, or possible of Italian origin. There is a well known chef with this as a family name, and it is pronounced as Kevin has read it. There may be some differences in syllabication, but this is certainly one very acceptable pronunciation. This should not be confused the the French city of Calais (also a town in northern Maine) which would normally carry the French pronunciation, but may not depending on location. Foreign place names are often Anglicised. Try pronouncing Los Angeles or Los Gatos withe the correct Spanish pronunciation and see what happens, for instance. The town of Calais, Maine, is actually pronounced KALL-us.

So, this is one of the reasons we allow great latitude in pronunciation on LibriVox when it comes to place names. There might be some exceptions, for instance, the river in London is the Tems, never THAMES -- just too well known. We might make suggestions, but can't be too dogmatic.

There are also regional variations and accents. The man servant called a valet, we Americans may pronounce in a French way, bit in Britain it is usually Val-et, rhyming with mallet. What a variety of accents we have on LibriVox! Even among native English speakers from around the world, there will be different ways of pronouncing words. A native English speaker may be from Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, Liberia, India, Jamaica, Mississippi, Boston, Brooklyn, Singapore or another 50 countries where it is an official language (the US is not one of them, by the way). But, we have many readers for whom English is not their first language, and we welcome them all with the variety of accents.

Well, I've gotten carried away, but it is an interesting discussion.

BTW, Kevin, I believe "drouth" simply rhymes with, "south." At least that is the way I have heard it. It is a variation, I think, of "drought." But, if someone wants to say, "drooth," then I guess that is okay. Don't even get into a discussion of the word, "draught." English is an absurdly annoying language when it comes to these things. I'm a certified TESOL instructor, and know how frustrating it is for both teacher and student.

So, let us not be callous about the people in Calais. :lol:

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 1st, 2019, 10:17 pm

geoffbl wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 5:26 am
Hi Mary Anne please find link below

Chapter :1
Duration: 15:46

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/conquest_01_micheaux_128kb.mp3

Once this one is Ok . I will claim another Chapter
Hi Geoff!

The recording is very well done however there are two technical things that need to be fixed before it can be PL OK.

First, your volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). It is 82.6 dB. To fix this you need in Audacity to go to Effect > Amplify. You have enough room to Amplify it 7 dB and that should get you close enough to 89 dB which is the mid point and what we aim for.

Second, there needs to be 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording. Please add a few more seconds of silence :)

Then export it, give it the same name and upload it just like you did last time and post it here again with the new time.

I will then check it out for you! Let me know if you have any questions!
Lynda

geoffbl

Post by geoffbl » September 2nd, 2019, 4:16 am

Hi Mary Anne,
Sorry about that I havn't recorded any chapters for a while and I took ~5 seconds as .5 . I have also increased the volume by 7db and re uploaded

Chapter 1
Duration 15.50

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 2nd, 2019, 4:19 am

Thanks Geoff!

I will check it a bit later this morning...

Lynda your DPL...

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » September 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Linda,

Thanks for your comment. I have listened to many LV books and it doesn't bother me when different readers read the same word differently in different sections, especially when it is a place name.

Larry,

Thanks for your comments, but it's a little more info than what we need here. I don't know how to spell the French city without looking it up and would have probably given it a French pronunciation if I was reading for this project. Since I don't care if the readers say Cal LAY, Cal EYE as, or CAL lis, we'll leave it as is and move on.

MaryAnn

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 2nd, 2019, 4:37 pm

MaryAnn -

Do you know why this is not showing up in my list of books to PL?

I have to keep checking this book to see if there is anything to do and I am wondering if there is something wrong in the background....

I CAN access the MW though.
Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 2nd, 2019, 4:40 pm

geoffbl wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 4:16 am
Hi Mary Anne,
Sorry about that I havn't recorded any chapters for a while and I took ~5 seconds as .5 . I have also increased the volume by 7db and re uploaded

Chapter 1
Duration 15.50

Hi Geoff!

Your recording is now PL OK! So let MaryAnn know if you want to sign up for some more! Your first one was excellent!
Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 2nd, 2019, 4:41 pm

Lmnei wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 11:55 am
KevinS wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm
Chapter 24

A good book. I hope more folks join in.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/conquest_24_micheaux_128kb.mp3

8:23
Hey Kevin -

I was PL'ing your Section 24 and the only thing that is an issue is the word for the city of Calias which is mentioned many times. You are pronouncing it Cal A Is. It is actually a French city and pronounced Cal AA or Kal ay. The I and S are silent. The city is so predominantly mentioned in this recording so it needs to be fixed. Also, others that I have PL's have pronounced it closer to the French sounding name so it might confuse the listener to all of a sudden to hear the city named differently.

Lynda
Kevin, I will now go an PL the whole Chapter as I stopped due to the number of Calias that I heard. I will be back in a bit.
Lynda

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » September 2nd, 2019, 4:43 pm

Lynda,

You're showing up in the MW as the DPL, which means I have it coded correctly behind the scenes.

I am only using "The Conquest" as the book title in the catalog record - so you won't see "the Story of a Negro Pioneer" in your project listing, it will just come in as "Conquest" or "The Conquest".

MaryAnn

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 2nd, 2019, 4:52 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 4:43 pm
Lynda,

You're showing up in the MW as the DPL, which means I have it coded correctly behind the scenes.

I am only using "The Conquest" as the book title in the catalog record - so you won't see "the Story of a Negro Pioneer" in your project listing, it will just come in as "Conquest" or "The Conquest".

MaryAnn
**DUH** It is there :) Sorry!

Lynda
Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 2nd, 2019, 4:52 pm

Kevin -

Chapter 24 is PL OK
Lynda

KevinS

Post by KevinS » September 2nd, 2019, 5:05 pm

Lmnei wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 4:52 pm
Kevin -

Chapter 24 is PL OK
Thank you!

It's a good book, isn't it?
E agora, José?

geoffbl

Post by geoffbl » September 3rd, 2019, 5:47 am

Hi MaryAnn,
Could I please claim chapter 3?

Many thanks Geoff

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » September 4th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Of course Geoff. I've updated the MW.
MaryAnn

PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV » September 5th, 2019, 12:53 pm

I would like to claim sections 4 - 6. One silly question, however. When reading “P______n”, how should I read it?