[Semi-autobiographical fiction] The Conquest (The Story of a Negro Pioneer) by Oscar Micheaux - mas

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » August 26th, 2019, 7:39 pm

KevinS added to MW for section 24.
MaryAnn

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Chapter 24

A good book. I hope more folks join in.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/conquest_24_micheaux_128kb.mp3

8:23
E agora, José?

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » August 27th, 2019, 4:26 am

Thank you Kevin!
I'm sure we'll get more readers. Some books just take a while to catch folk's attention.
MaryAnn

drlyndon

Post by drlyndon » August 27th, 2019, 7:34 am

Hi MaryAnn, I am a newbie and would like to claim 2 - Leaving Home--A Maiden.

I would like to be called Dr.Lyndon

Do you need anything more?

Thanks

Lyndon

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » August 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Great Lyndon. That's all I need, Magic Window (MW) updated with your claim.

Your reader page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/13569

MaryAnn

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 29th, 2019, 11:55 am

KevinS wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm
Chapter 24

Hey Kevin -

I was PL'ing your Section 24 and the only thing that is an issue is the word for the city of Calias which is mentioned many times. You are pronouncing it Cal A Is. It is actually a French city and pronounced Cal AA or Kal ay. The I and S are silent. The city is so predominantly mentioned in this recording so it needs to be fixed. Also, others that I have PL's have pronounced it closer to the French sounding name so it might confuse the listener to all of a sudden to hear the city named differently.

Lynda
Lynda

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Lmnei wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 11:55 am
KevinS wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm
Chapter 24

Hey Kevin -

I was PL'ing your Section 24 and the only thing that is an issue is the word for the city of Calias which is mentioned many times. You are pronouncing it Cal A Is. It is actually a French city and pronounced Cal AA or Kal ay. The I and S are silent. The city is so predominantly mentioned in this recording so it needs to be fixed. Also, others that I have PL's have pronounced it closer to the French sounding name so it might confuse the listener to all of a sudden to hear the city named differently.

Lynda
The French city is spelled 'Calais,' so I'm confused by your comment.
E agora, José?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I see, also, that BettyB is pronouncing the town as Cal-EYE-as.

If I read more of this book, I do see that there is this word 'drouth.' I have NO idea of how it should be pronounced. Some say DROOTH (to rhyme with booth) but that just seems weird to me. Do you have a preference? May I just say 'drought' like we say today?
E agora, José?

drlyndon

Post by drlyndon » August 29th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Hi MaryAnn, here is Chapter/section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/conquest_02_micheaux_128kb.mp3

11:34 minutes

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 29th, 2019, 1:53 pm

KevinS wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 12:20 pm

If I read more of this book, I do see that there is this word 'drouth.' I have NO idea of how it should be pronounced. Some say DROOTH (to rhyme with booth) but that just seems weird to me. Do you have a preference? May I just say 'drought' like we say today?
Yes, I let how Betty pronounced it pass as she only had a couple of Calais to say and she was closer to the pronunciation.

Again, Drouth is a French word and it is DUR OOTH (like DUR and the end of TOOTH)

Lynda
Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm

drlyndon wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Hi MaryAnn, here is Chapter/section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/conquest_02_micheaux_128kb.mp3

11:34 minutes
Hi Lyndon -

Here is your feedback on your recording - you have a really good strong recorded voice! :clap: I only picked out a few word issues in the recording that affected the story as this is not a word perfect PL, however please be cognisant when recording that you are adding little words and skipping some descriptive words. You might want to slow down just a bit when reading. :)

0:00 please leave between .5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recordings
0:02 - remove extra silence
0:05 - remove extra silence etc until you get to 0:26 That way the intro will be less choppy.
0:26 - Missing {Chapter} which is the title of the Chapter - instead you read the Chapter Number, it is fine to leave the Chapter number - just add the Chapter Title after that please.
3:38 - missing "Car" which is important to the type of story
9:15 - said "Put it eagerly" should be "put in eagerly"
10:16 - said "Miss Rocks" should be "Miss ROOks" (like HOOks)
10:27 - said "beautiful black hair" with a hesitation, should be "beautiful wavy, black hair"
11:27 - the "End of Recording" is a bit abrupt right after the last line of the chapter. Add a second buffer please and then like at the beginning remove the extra silences between End of Recording and your information to make it also less choppy.
11:34 - you need 5 seconds of silence at the end of each recording after your last spoken word.

Technical settings
The recording is in stereo - please change it back to Mono
The recording has a lot of noise in it - your breathing for example. Please run noise cleaning and then ensure your volume is in the correct range - 89dB is our target.

Please let me know if you need help with any of this - I am more than happy to give you pointers!

Lynda
Lynda

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Lmnei wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 1:53 pm
KevinS wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Yes, I let how Betty pronounced it pass as she only had a couple of Calais to say and she was closer to the pronunciation.

Again, Drouth is a French word and it is DUR OOTH (like DUR and the end of TOOTH)

Lynda
The spelling is 'Calias.' I remain confused by your post. Additionally, there was no objection to my pronunciation in my earlier submission.

How is 'drouth' a French word?

I am more comfortable with this variant of English: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/drought-or-drouth
E agora, José?

geoffbl

Post by geoffbl » August 30th, 2019, 5:26 am

Hi Mary Anne please find link below

Chapter :1
Duration: 15:46

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/conquest_01_micheaux_128kb.mp3

Once this one is Ok . I will claim another Chapter

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » September 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

Lynda,

I don't care how Calais is pronounced. This is a group project, with standard PLing, and I hope it will attract quite a few new readers because the sections are short.

So all together, I'm perfectly comfortable if people put different pronunciations on people and city names.

Thanks for proofing sections so quickly! You're an incredible PLer!

MaryAnn

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 1st, 2019, 5:35 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm
Lynda,

I don't care how Calais is pronounced. This is a group project, with standard PLing, and I hope it will attract quite a few new readers because the sections are short.

So all together, I'm perfectly comfortable if people put different pronunciations on people and city names.

Thanks for proofing sections so quickly! You're an incredible PLer!

MaryAnn
MaryAnn I am fine with that until a city name is mentioned all through a Chapter and instead of saying something along the lines of Cal a is as it reads the person said it completely different and put the i before the a. Then it becomes a completely different word. Did you listen to the section and the pronunciation?

Lynda
Lynda