[COMPLETE]Stories of the Cave People - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Stories of the Cave People by Mary Marcy (1877 - 1922).

This project is complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/storiesofthecavepeople_03_marcy_128kb.mp3
This book, intended for children, presents entertaining scenes from the life of prehistoric man as envisioned by the young science of anthropology in the early 1900's. "In this little book I have sought, in a series of stories or sketches, to present only the first steps in human progress. Man has risen from a stage of lowest savagery, little higher than the apes, buffeted by the hand of Nature, dependent upon the wild game he might kill or the food he found ready to hand, a fearing and a furtive creature of the forests and of the plains, preyed upon by a thousand stronger foes, to a being able to provide warmth and clothing and shelter against the rains and the cold and food against the seasons. He has become a master instead of a plaything of the elements. In a large measure he has become arbiter of his own food supply and, hence, his own destiny. He has subjugated, in a marvelous degree, the forces of Nature and harnessed them to his needs." ( the author)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59922
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      Our DPL is the lovely Lynda.
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/Science

Keywords that describe the book: earlyman

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Stories of the Cave People. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Stories of the Cave People, by Mary Marcy. [Chapter NAME]"
      e.g. Section 2 The Fire Beast.
      END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Stories of the Cave People, by Mary Marcy. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      storiesofthecavepeople_##_marcy_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. storiesofthecavepeople_01_marcy_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert]
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
nighthawks

Post by nighthawks »

May I do Section 2 The Fire Beast. Thanks

:D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

nighthawks wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 3:20 am May I do Section 2 The Fire Beast. Thanks

:D
Oh yes! all yours. :thumbs:
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Phil,

I've actually volunteered for a few projects that I need to catch up on - but this looks just my cup of tea!

Instead of actually 'claiming' a part, do you mind if I just read a Chapter when I get the chance, and then claim it?

(I don't mind if somebody else beats me to it - these stories look like fun to read - and it's all practise, innit?)

Still, totally up to you!

(Just to explain - I've done a few 'short story' reads to give me a break from my Solo read, but I've just finished that. Hopefully!
Now, it turns out that a few of the 'short' stories I have volunteered for are anything but - so I may need a 'break' from them now and again!)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

johnnyenglish wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 10:09 am Hello Phil,

I've actually volunteered for a few projects that I need to catch up on - but this looks just my cup of tea!

Instead of actually 'claiming' a part, do you mind if I just read a Chapter when I get the chance, and then claim it?

(I don't mind if somebody else beats me to it - these stories look like fun to read - and it's all practise, innit?)

Still, totally up to you!

(Just to explain - I've done a few 'short story' reads to give me a break from my Solo read, but I've just finished that. Hopefully!
Now, it turns out that a few of the 'short' stories I have volunteered for are anything but - so I may need a 'break' from them now and again!)
Hi Johnny and I agree this is a neat little attempt at early anthropology. But why not just claim two or three chapters and record them whenever you get the chance? Is there any reason why you don't wish to actually claim some? I won't mind if you need to give 'em back, that's no problem at all. or you can just claim all the remaining chapters that would be cool too. It is all one to me but it seems a shame to record and edit a chapter only to not have it part of the book.
As soon as we get a DPL I will be moving this project to REaders Wanted. Image
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

No Probs, Mate.

I just didn't want to claim a chapter then not get round to it. It just seems a
bit unfair to anyone else that may fancy having a go...

I'll just keep an eye on it, and claim one (or three!) if I'm pretty sure I can do it.*

Fair enough?

*Actually - I want to get a few of the other projects I've volunteered for done -
I don't like to let people down if I can help it! :wink:
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I'll just keep an eye on it, and claim one (or three!) if I'm pretty sure I can do it.*

Fair enough?

*Actually - I want to get a few of the other projects I've volunteered for done -
I don't like to let people down if I can help it! :wink:
An excellent plan Johnny. Stay cool. :thumbs:
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

:D :D :D
Milzh

Post by Milzh »

May I do section 3 please?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Milzh wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 8:31 pm May I do section 3 please?
Hi MIles and welcome to this project. I am assigning section 3 to you. But before you record it, please be sure you have done the 1 minute test. I can't find a record of your being given the OK, have you indeed done that yet? This is just to be sure your technical specs are set up correctly and things like that. So if you have indeed been approved, just jump in, but if you havent', you really need to do that before recording. Please let me know, OK?
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Phil!

Can I please read Section 4 and 6?

Many thanks!

Lynda
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Lmnei wrote: July 24th, 2019, 6:36 pm Hi Phil!

Can I please read Section 4 and 6?

Many thanks!

Lynda
CERTAINLY
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi everyone. I am moving this project to Readers Wanted even though we don't have a Dedicated Proof Listener yet. Hopefully some kind soul will volunteer soon so you can have feedback on your recordings. :D
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Phil,

Can I have 5, 8, and 11 please?

(I've just finished - sort of! - the main story that was bugging me, and I missed the deadline on a couple of others.
Nil probs - they can be rolled over to the next collections! :wink: )

Still, this looks like being a very popular read - so I wanted to get my dibs in!
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Er... Colour me confused...

I actually wanted to read 'Little Laughing Boy', which appears to be unclaimed -
but in the Gutenberg text it is presented as Chapter 4 (IV,) which has already been claimed... :?: