COMPLETE [LEGENDS] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 11 - kik

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Murphy8104 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 7:31 am Hello -
I would like to record the following:
18 The Tenth Day, part 2

If this part is already taken, please let me know what you need. You can use Murphy8104 as the recorder name.

Thanks - I'm excited about getting started.

Lisa
Welcome to Librivox, Lisa! You now have a reader page at https://librivox.org/reader/14120 and section 18 is all yours!

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi Kristine - Could I ask you to remove Section 57, please? I tried to add Murphy8104 when I was tired and ended up adding a section called Murphy8104 by accident!

Thanks, and sorry for the mess-up,
Paul
SouCS

Post by SouCS »

Hello, can I clain section 39 THE THIRTEENTH NIGHT OF THE MONTH. Thank you
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

SouCS wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:59 pm Hello, can I clain section 39 THE THIRTEENTH NIGHT OF THE MONTH. Thank you
All yours! :D
appleby000

Post by appleby000 »

Hi, I would like to read 53 & 54. Is that still available?
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

appleby000 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 2:06 pm Hi, I would like to read 53 & 54. Is that still available?
You'd be welcome, but before you start recording with Librivox we like you to record a test piece first. This isn't an audition so much as to check that you can produce a file that meets Librivox's technical specifications. Details are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

I'll mark those sections as allocated to you pending the 1-minute test.

Cheers,
Paul
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 »

I've completed recording and cleaning up Section 18 of the Book of the Thousand Nights.
The link is below.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/arabiannightsvolume11_18_anonymous_128kb.mp3

I'm not clear on where in the thread I should be to post this link. Any guidance for this and future uploads would be appreciated.

Thanks. Lisa
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 »

I would like to record The Eighteenth Night of the Month if this is not taken.
Section 44.

You can use my User Name as the recorder. Please let me know. Thanks.
Lisa
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Murphy8104 wrote: April 26th, 2020, 7:34 am I've completed recording and cleaning up Section 18 of the Book of the Thousand Nights.
Thanks, Lisa. There are a couple of small adjustments to make - if you could do these and re-upload with the same filename, that would be great.

At 0m24s "Volume One" should be "Volume Eleven"

T the end, there should be five seconds of silence; this was originally there because some earlier audio players truncated files, but now people are so used to having a pause at the end to reflect that it's been kept within the specifications.

Finally, if you want to add that extra bit of polish, the loudness of your file is at the bottom end of the permissible range. If this were the only issue, I wouldn't raise it as it's just within the limits, but if you wanted to amplify the whole thing by 3dB before uploading again, it would hit the required loudness precisely. The problem is that you don't have that much headroom on your volume peaks so would need to find out something about audio compression or limiting to do this - that's quite a deep rabbit-hole to explore when you're just starting so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you want to do that on this reading or wait till you're more familiar with the rest of the machinery of reading for LibriVox first. As a starting point, here's a video Phil made - it's on an older version of Audacity, but the principles haven't changed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
Murphy8104 wrote: April 26th, 2020, 7:34 am I'm not clear on where in the thread I should be to post this link. Any guidance for this and future uploads would be appreciated.
You've posted in exactly the right place. :) I'd appreciate another post when you've uploaded the corrected file so I can spot-check the changes.

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Murphy8104 wrote: April 26th, 2020, 7:40 am I would like to record The Eighteenth Night of the Month if this is not taken.
Section 44.

You can use my User Name as the recorder. Please let me know. Thanks.
Lisa
All yours! You don't need to specify your name each time - that's just done the first time around so that we can get you set up.

Cheers,
Paul
dchao

Post by dchao »

Hi, I'm just checking whether I uploaded correctly and if my file was heard. Thanks!
SouCS

Post by SouCS »

Hey Paul,
I'm sorry, but something urgent came up, so I won't be able to do section 39. I'm really sorry for the trouble :(
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 »

Hi Paul - I've made the corrections, compression, and volume improvements suggested.
Upload link is : https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/arabiannightsvolume11_18_anonymous_128kb.mp3

I appreciate the feedback and in my next recording will work harder for better compression/volume.
Thanks.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

dchao wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm Hi, I'm just checking whether I uploaded correctly and if my file was heard. Thanks!
When you upload, you also need to post a link to the book's thread (ie here for this one) as the Book Co-ordinator (and, in my case, the deputy Book Co-ordinator) doesn't automatically get notified of the upload. Prompted by your message, I tried the obvious name and found a file there. I've no comments to make on it - it met our requirements perfectly. Thank you.

Section 41 PL OK
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

SouCS wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:22 am Hey Paul,
I'm sorry, but something urgent came up, so I won't be able to do section 39. I'm really sorry for the trouble :(
No trouble at all - thanks for letting me know. I'll release that section for others.