COMPLETE Herb of Grace by Rosa Nouchette Carey - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
peastman

Post by peastman »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

by peastman » 04 Jun 2019 20:02

How are you measuring that?
By "that" do you mean the low volume?
Ans for low volume:

sect 1 (6/20/19)
PL Note: I run your file thru "Checker", a tool that matches your file to the tech specs required by LV.
When something doesn't match, in your case the lower volume, the problem is flagged under:

Checker Validation
85.7db (86–92 dB)
The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).

This should answer your question. :thumbs:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 5 & 6
PL OK
Helen

peastman

Post by peastman »

You can't take tools like that too literally. They don't really measure what you think they're measuring! The number it reports is only a very rough approximation to subjective loudness. It's useful for catching things that are way outside the target range, but for anything within a few dB, you need to rely on your ears to decide whether it sounds right. The goal is that all tracks should sound about equally loud, so the listener doesn't have to keep adjusting the volume.

As an example, consider these two files. Here is the introduction from chapter 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya2dq7y7ep0xc3g/test1.mp3?dl=0. And this is exactly the same, except that I've edited it to shorten all the pauses: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6wfx4xn7ayv53o/test2.mp3?dl=0 Checker claims that the first one is 85.8 dB but the second one is 86.8 dB. Despite the fact that they're both exactly the same loudness! The second one, of course, is a more accurate measure. We want to normalize tracks based on the loudness of the speech, not the lengths of the pauses.

Now consider this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tz6er866oxlgb5/test3.mp3?dl=0 This is exactly the same as the first file, but I amplified it by 2 dB in Audacity. Checker claims this one is 87.5 dB. It is, in fact, precisely 2 dB louder than the first one, but Checker reports it only being 1.7 dB louder. Like I said, it really isn't measuring what you think it is.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

peastman,
Miss Stav, the BC will deal with this volume issue..
Helen

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Good morning! Look, I am not picky about these things. But many of our listeners listen to our recordings from cars, trains, plains, and other loud places. So it is very important to me that your files would not be too quiet. I am sorry for not being very helpful.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
peastman

Post by peastman »

Have you listened to it? Is it too quiet? To me it sounds just as loud as all the other sections.

Also, HZFerr originally asked me to amplify it by 1.3 dB, which I did. But now his tool still claims it's 0.3 dB too quiet, because the numbers it produces aren't consistent with each other. The current version is 1.3 dB louder than the version it claimed was 84.7 dB.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I have, and to me it sounds fine. I don't understand all this conversation because I am blind and all the technical spets are foren to me.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

In numbers, desired range is 86-92, with 89-90 being ideal. You are right that these tools also process silences and may give false results. But that happens in all recordings, so unless a person uses much longer silences than average, they'll get an adequate volume reading.
If you get a volume lower than 86 and you need to amplify, please amplify towards the ideal 89, not just 86 to get in range. (this is addressed to Helen also for the PL notes :wink: )
During cataloguing there is an option to adjust volume of all files around the 89 value, and that's easier done with files that are higher than 89 than those that are lower.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Rapunzelina I am confused; what is the next step?
by peastman » 27 Jun 2019 00:03

Have you listened to it? Is it too quiet? To me it sounds just as loud as all the other sections.

Also, HZFerr originally asked me to amplify it by 1.3 dB, which I did. But now his tool still claims it's 0.3 dB too quiet, because the numbers it produces aren't consistent with each other. The current version is 1.3 dB louder than the version it claimed was 84.7 dB.
To set the record straight: these are my PL notes:
sect 1
PL note: low volume
Your volume of 84.7db is slightly low, it should be between 86–92 dB.

sect 4
PL note: low volume
Your volume of 85.8db is slightly low, it should be between 86–92 dB.
*sect 4 was fixed

by HZFerr » 04 Jun 2019 18:22 (pg 2)
sect 1
PL note: slightly low volume.
You're almost there:
85.7db (86–92 dB)
Helen

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Let's mark it PL OK in the MW, it's close enough.
But the closer to 89dB the better, that's why I posted above.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 1
PL OK :thumbs:
Helen

peastman

Post by peastman »

Chapter 7 (23:17):

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/herbofgrace_07_carey_128kb.mp3

And I'll sign up for chapters 8 and 9.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. 8 and 9 are all yours.