COMPLETE [FICTION] The Cliff-Dwellers by Henry B. Fuller-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

The Cliff-Dwellers by Henry Blake Fuller (1857 - 1929).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-cliff-dwellers-by-henry-blake-fuller/

Between the former site of old Fort Dearborn and the present site of our newest Board of Trade there lies a restricted yet tumultuous territory through which, during the course of the last fifty years, the rushing streams of commerce have worn many a deep and rugged chasm. These great canons—conduits, in fact, for the leaping volume of an ever-increasing prosperity—cross each other with a sort of systematic rectangularity, and in deference to the practical directness of local requirements they are in general called simply—streets. Each of these canons is closed in by a long frontage of towering cliffs, and these soaring walls of brick and limestone and granite rise higher and higher with each succeeding year, according as the work of erosion at their bases goes onward—the work of that seething flood of carts, carriages, omnibuses, cabs, cars, messengers, shoppers, clerks, and capitalists, which surges with increasing violence for every passing day. ( HENRY B. FULLER)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57782
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Cliff-Dwellers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Cliff-Dwellers, by Henry Blake Fuller. Chapter [Chapter number]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Cliff-Dwellers, by Henry Blake Fuller. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    cliffdwellers_##_fuller_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. cliffdwellers_01_fuller_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by lymiewithpurpose on April 4th, 2019, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Campbell,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
lymiewithpurpose

Great, thank you! I shall get to work on that :D
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

MW updated. All readers and a DPL are most welcome :D
Campbell
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I recommended this project, so I feel partially responsible for it. And since I just finished PL-ing Maybe Tomorrow, I think I'll have enough time to sign up as your DPL. :D
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
lymiewithpurpose

That would be awesome, thank you! It seems like a great book! I would love to DPL but I'm already DPLing 6 projects and do not want to take any more :shock:. And thanks for the recommendation!
Campbell
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: February 27th, 2019, 10:04 am That would be awesome, thank you! It seems like a great book! I would love to DPL but I'm already DPLing 6 projects and do not want to take any more :shock:. And thanks for the recommendation!
No problem! :) I'll probably also take a couple of chapters once I've cleared up some of my backlog. Looking forward to getting this one in the catalogue
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Chuck!

Moving to readers wanted.

MaryAnn
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Can I read introduction?
lymiewithpurpose

bhavya wrote: March 17th, 2019, 9:08 pm Can I read introduction?
Of course! Welcome aboard, nice to have you here :D
Campbell
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

lymiewithpurpose

bhavya wrote: March 19th, 2019, 3:40 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cliffdwellers_00_fuller_128kb.mp3
7:21

Introduction for PL!
Thank you! Updated the MW :D
Campbell
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

Hello there! :D

I would like to read Section1, Chapter 1 of this book.

Regards,

Saba Fatima
lymiewithpurpose

SabaFatima91 wrote: March 24th, 2019, 9:46 am Hello there! :D

I would like to read Section1, Chapter 1 of this book.

Regards,

Saba Fatima
Hi again! I will be glad to have you read for this project! From what I heard in your test, your voice will sound lovely here :D! In order to sign you up in the magic window, I need to know what name you will want to use in the catalog. You can use your forum name, a nickname, your real name, a pseudonym, whatever you wish. Be aware that this is what will be shown to listeners however. Also, we can link a personal webpage/blog as well. I have reserved it for you, and once you get back to me on what name you would like I can formally assign it :D. Welcome aboard!
Campbell
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

Hi there!

I would like to stick with the name Saba Fatima.
And I do not have a website yet but my Instagram handle is @quotes_by_sf (writing blog) and @design_matters_by_sf (design blog) in case they will do.

Thankyou so much.

Will try my best to read this well. Hopefully you will guide me through. :)

Regards,
Saba Fatima