[Complete] Lives Of The Most Remarkable Criminals Vol 2 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Ariphron wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 7:51 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:03 pm
Lynnet wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:00 pm

I’ve never thought about it :hmm: If it still makes sense, leave it! If I’m going to be happily listening then go “Where did that come from?”, we might reconsider.
Great! I think it would make more sense at the end, but it still makes enough sense here to not need to change anything (in my opinion :D)
I felt that the sentence was so long that, if I read it all first and then the footnote, the listener will have forgotten the puzzling point that prompted the footnote, before learning that there's a footnote explaining it. Putting the footnote first, I figured that the listener will understand it well enough without knowing why it's there, and then on hearing of "the desire of pleasing those who vend (drink)," will realize that the footnote was an explanation of why pleasing vendors was something that prisoners would care about.

Perhaps reading the footnote first is too unusual for this to work the way I did it. I could make it clearer by any of the following adjustments:

1. Introduce the footnote as "Footnote for the following paragraph" instead of simply "Footnote;"

2. Insert "see footnote" after "those who vend it," and then move the footnote to the end;

3. Read the beginning of sentence through "those who vend it," then the footnote, then start over at the beginning of the sentence. This is what I would do if I were reading to my daughter.
Those are some good ideas! You’re right, it’s at a kind of weird spot. There doesn’t seem to be a good way to do it. We could let Lynnet give her input, but if you did decide to change it I would vote for option 3. But then, I don’t think it’s bad where it is now.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 7:58 pm
Ariphron wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 7:51 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:03 pm

Great! I think it would make more sense at the end, but it still makes enough sense here to not need to change anything (in my opinion :D)
I felt that the sentence was so long that, if I read it all first and then the footnote, the listener will have forgotten the puzzling point that prompted the footnote, before learning that there's a footnote explaining it. Putting the footnote first, I figured that the listener will understand it well enough without knowing why it's there, and then on hearing of "the desire of pleasing those who vend (drink)," will realize that the footnote was an explanation of why pleasing vendors was something that prisoners would care about.

Perhaps reading the footnote first is too unusual for this to work the way I did it. I could make it clearer by any of the following adjustments:

1. Introduce the footnote as "Footnote for the following paragraph" instead of simply "Footnote;"

2. Insert "see footnote" after "those who vend it," and then move the footnote to the end;

3. Read the beginning of sentence through "those who vend it," then the footnote, then start over at the beginning of the sentence. This is what I would do if I were reading to my daughter.
Those are some good ideas! You’re right, it’s at a kind of weird spot. There doesn’t seem to be a good way to do it. We could let Lynnet give her input, but if you did decide to change it I would vote for option 3. But then, I don’t think it’s bad where it is now.
I leave it to the reader’s discretion. I always assume the reader is at least as smart as I am :lol: :lol:
lymiewithpurpose

Lynnet wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 9:10 pm I leave it to the reader’s discretion. I always assume the reader is at least as smart as I am
Ha ha ha usually the reader is much smarter than I am :lol:. I've just worked with a few BCs who have a very particular way they want things done, and I'm always scared of messing things up for them :shock:
Campbell
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
I would like to claim #s 29, the life of John Claxton and 38, the life of Josh Shrewsbury should they still be available.
I can get those complete those by the end of the week, promise. Please let me know if they are now mine to read.
April
April
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

adr6090 wrote: March 24th, 2019, 9:21 am Hello,
I would like to claim #s 29, the life of John Claxton and 38, the life of Josh Shrewsbury should they still be available.
I can get those complete those by the end of the week, promise. Please let me know if they are now mine to read.
April
Thank you. They are all yours to enjoy 8-)
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Lynnet wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 12:48 pm
wildlindajohnson wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 12:09 pm ...and I'll be glad to take Sections 22, 26, 27, 28 and 29.
Thank you
Just noticed someone else is asking for Sections I have already claimed....? :hmm:
Linda Johnson
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

wildlindajohnson wrote: March 24th, 2019, 10:54 am
wildlindajohnson wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 12:09 pm ...and I'll be glad to take Sections 22, 26, 27, 28 and 29.
Thank you
Just noticed someone else is asking for Sections I have already claimed....? :hmm:
:oops: sorry, Linda. I added all the others to the MW, but omitted 29.

April, I’m sorry but the rule is the section goes to the first claimant. 38 is yours though. 37 and 39 are currently open
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Lynnet wrote: March 24th, 2019, 9:32 am
adr6090 wrote: March 24th, 2019, 9:21 am Hello,
April
Thank you. They are all yours to enjoy 8-)
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I just realized that 29 is indeed taken, which is not an issue for me.
I will get 38 read.
37 & 39 are not ones I wish to choose
Thank you,

Lynnet wrote: March 24th, 2019, 11:02 am
wildlindajohnson wrote: March 24th, 2019, 10:54 am

Thank you
:oops: sorry, Linda. I added all the others to the MW, but omitted 29.

April, I’m sorry but the rule is the section goes to the first claimant. 38 is yours though. 37 and 39 are currently open
April
lymiewithpurpose

Campbell
jenno

Post by jenno »

could i claim sections 37 and 39 please

Jennifer
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »