[COMPLETE] Discourses on the First Decade of Titus Livius, Book 2, Machiavelli - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

Chapter 1 has quite a listing of names of places and peoples in it - I would like to make sure that my pronunciation of them all is correct before doing the actual recording. I have recorded the sentence in which these names appear (it's the last sentence in the penultimate paragraph of Chapter 1). Could I please bother the PL and/or the BC to have a listen to the following file and give me some feedback? Thanks!

Removed URL because the recording is done.

[edit]Of course, anyone's feedback is welcome :)[/edit]
Last edited by merendo07 on January 19th, 2019, 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Good to see you! - Ben.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

merendo07 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:44 pm Chapter 1 has quite a listing of names of places and peoples in it - I would like to make sure that my pronunciation of them all is correct before doing the actual recording. I have recorded the sentence in which these names appear (it's the last sentence in the penultimate paragraph of Chapter 1). Could I please bother the PL and/or the BC to have a listen to the following file and give me some feedback? Thanks!

http://mmikw.altervista.org/places_and_demonyms.mp3
Hi, merendo. Sounds all ok to me, with the caveat that I am not a native English speaker, but with the bonus I do hear these names more often than most people probably because of work. I wouldn't blink at any of the names there. But let's see what our PLer says. :)
Leni
=================
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 0

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

afutterer wrote: January 18th, 2019, 12:19 pm PL NOTES:

SECTION 0

PL OK
Thanks, Anthony!
Leni
=================
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

Good to see you! - Ben.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much, merendo!
Leni
=================
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

Leni, chapter three starts with a latin quote - and I need to know how to pronounce it properly, lest I embarrass myself before a Latin teacher :roll: I made a short recording of how I think it should be pronounced, can you please correct me where necessary? http://mmikw.altervista.org/Latin.mp3 In particular, I'm unsure about the first word, Crecit. Is it pronounced "Creshit" or "Cress-Kit"? Thanks
Good to see you! - Ben.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

merendo07 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 12:27 pm Leni, chapter three starts with a latin quote - and I need to know how to pronounce it properly, lest I embarrass myself before a Latin teacher :roll: I made a short recording of how I think it should be pronounced, can you please correct me where necessary? http://mmikw.altervista.org/Latin.mp3 In particular, I'm unsure about the first word, Crecit. Is it pronounced "Creshit" or "Cress-Kit"? Thanks

:lol: Don't worry about it, really! But since you went through the trouble, I listened to it, and here is what I think:
- "Crescit" - both pronunciations exist, Cres-kit is what I would use (Classical), but Machiavelli probably said "Creshit", so, as you read sounds fine to me.
- Albae - to match the pronunciation of crescit, you would probably go for ALB-eh (stressed syllable is the first one, and the 'ae" sound more like "eh")

The rest is great! :thumbs:
Leni
=================
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

I'll take 11-15 inclusive, please.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

gallen87 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:42 pm I'll take 11-15 inclusive, please.
Welcome to the project, thanks for claiming! :D
Leni
=================
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

Leni wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:25 pm :lol: Don't worry about it, really! But since you went through the trouble, I listened to it, and here is what I think:
- "Crescit" - both pronunciations exist, Cres-kit is what I would use (Classical), but Machiavelli probably said "Creshit", so, as you read sounds fine to me.
- Albae - to match the pronunciation of crescit, you would probably go for ALB-eh (stressed syllable is the first one, and the 'ae" sound more like "eh")

The rest is great! :thumbs:
Thanking you. The actual recording will follow shortly :thumbs:
Good to see you! - Ben.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

merendo07 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 1:15 am Thanking you. The actual recording will follow shortly :thumbs:
Happy to help :D
Leni
=================
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 01 - CHAPTER I. Whether the Empire acquired by the Romans was more due to Valour or to Fortune

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

Chapter 3 (04:29): https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/discoursesonlivy2_03_machiavelli_128kb.mp3

I also completed Chapter 2, but I'm gonna re-record it because it's just not as good as I'd like it to be.
Good to see you! - Ben.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, merendo!
Leni
=================