COMPLETESilver Chimes in Syria: Glimpses of a Missionary's Experiences by William S. Nelson - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Silver Chimes in Syria: Glimpses of a Missionary's Experiences by William S. Nelson ( - 1916).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/silver-chimes-in-syria-glimpses-of-a-missionarys-experiences-by-william-s-nelson/

William S. Nelson, D.D. was appointed as a missionary to Syria by the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church, USA in 1888. In this short works, as the title suggests, he gives glimpses into his life as a missionary against the background of Syrian culture. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44122
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: d6k66Gi4

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William S. Nelson ) : n/a
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1914
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies

Keywords that describe the book: travel, Christianity, biography, missionary, Middle East, Islam, syria

============================================
    [/size]
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Silver Chimes in Syria: Glimpses of a Missionary's Experiences. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Silver Chimes in Syria: Glimpses of a Missionary's Experiences by William S. Nelson. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Silver Chimes in Syria: Glimpses of a Missionary's Experiences by William S. Nelson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    silverchimes_##_nelson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. silverchimes_01_nelson_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: William S. Nelson
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Silver Chimes in Syria: Glimpses of a Missionary's Experiences

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

With Syria again in the news, I thought this would be a good perspective on some of its history.
I couldn't find a date of birth for the author.

:help: Oops! Looks as if I duplicated the author's name in the subject line, but I don't seem to be able to edit it.
~ Larry
James2of3

Post by James2of3 »

Hi silverquill

I am new to LV. I just read and had PL OK on a short chapter for another project.

I have poor eyesight and think I may feel more comfortable as a PL. Being a retired missionary myself I was drawn to this project. I downloaded the text from http://www.gutenberg.org and enjoyed reading the first few chapters.

Could I please take on the role of DPL for Silver Chimes in Syria.

James
If you think carefully before you act, perhaps you won't.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, James!

Me too. But I'm going back for a very short trip to Haiti next month where we served, but for just a few days. Last year I was in Nepal for three weeks, and we spent five years in Korea recently, and other short trips around the world.

As soon as an MC picks up the project, they will put you in as DPL.

Thanks so much.
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

HI Larry, I can MC your project for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you, and James is in as DPL.

James, you have access to the Magic Window (MW), but you will need to access the workflow system for the first time. Here is the doc that will walk you through the steps. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to ask! And, please let me know if you have gotten in as well, that way I know you are ready to go.

We will move over to Going Solo as soon as James has access.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks so much, Ann!

Did I use the wrong template?
I intended this to be a collaborative project.
So, I've filled in the MW and left myself just a few sections.

We are ready for Readers Wanted.
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OMG, it was late when I made the MW, and I had just set up a solo project! OK, this is a group project! Cool! Everything else remains the same, just a brain transplant for me! Wee! :lol:

I think we will wait here just a little bit, that way we know if James has been able to get into the MW and can still find us.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay. I've sent him a PM but haven't heard back from him yet.
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving us on to the Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
James2of3

Post by James2of3 »

Hi Folks

I was in bed ill for several days then I managed to lock my self out of the forum.

Here I am at last ready to go. I think :D

James
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Got you PM and responded, so we are ready to go!
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Great! That is good news! (Not about being stuck in bed sick, but about being ready to go.)
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
James2of3

Post by James2of3 »

Hi Folks
I am not sure why there has been no activity on this project. According to my magic window none of the segments have been read and it has been about five or six weeks since the project started.
I am fed up checking over and over just to find that there is nothing ready to PL
I obviously do not have the temperament to do this sort of work. It is not what I had imagined it to be.
Please remove me as DPL. I am sure someone else will be happy to replace me.
James
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

As you wish.

But, let me assure you that this is very unusual. Of all the projects I've managed, this one is off the the slowest start ever. Not one person has claimed a section to read! The only assigned sections are my own, and I've put them on the back burner until some other claims came in. Perhaps this wasn't a good choice for a group project, and I might change it to a solo if we it languishes much longer.

That said, it is NOT unusual for some projects to bog down in the middle or towards the end after the initial interested readers have completed their reading. I do a lot of DPL work and I have several projects that were started two years ago, some others at the one year mark. Since readers have two months to complete their recording, you can see how some projects can take longer to complete. I thought this one would take about six months or less since it doesn't have many sections.

There are several ways to keep tabs on projects. You can subscribe to the project thread and receive email notification when a post is made. I think this might work well if one is active in only a few projects. Since I have multiple things going on -- reading, DPL, and BC projects, I just bookmark them and check my bookmarks where I can see those with recent activity. Since you posted, this one jumped to the top of my list.

I hope you won't give up on LibriVox entirely. There are a lot of different things to do here, and the more volunteers, the more enjoyable it is.

All the Best,
Larry
~ Larry