[Complete] A Battle of the Books by Gail Hamilton -ck/lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thewhippleeffect

Post by thewhippleeffect »

hi Carolin,

if you have one ready to PL I please be assigned a shorter section? i understand this is STANDARD PL.

thank you,
thewhippleeffect
thewhippleeffect

Post by thewhippleeffect »

hi guys,

please disregard my last post volunteering to PL. i'm not ready yet.

thank you,
thewhippleeffect
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

thewhippleeffect
hi guys,

please disregard my last post volunteering to PL. i'm not ready yet.

thank you,
thewhippleeffect
Hi!
*Thanks!* for your interest in prooflistening/ dedicated PLing. We always need people who are willing and able to give deep listen skills to the works, and I want to encourage you, when you feel comfortable, to step right in!

Still, I know I was a little confused about the process for claiming PL at first, so can perhaps help you a little here.
In case you've not yet found it, here is a good resource link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners

With PL, we aren't assigned selections, or (usually) claim them individually, as with narration.
When awaiting a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener), LV members who have a little extra time may step in and PL (Prooflisten) a section or so.
Assignment or even notification isn't usually given (although if someone know they can PL a few sections, they may make note. Of course, that's an individual decision. *smile*)

You DO make a very valid point! PLing sections of 20+ minutes (varies greatly by listener, of course) CAN be taxing!
It's a different form of listening than that in the everyday.
Too, the longer the read, the more chance there is for mistake, the more work it is to go back through and make good notes for correction.
That is NOT to discourage you though! All of that can be learned without TOO much effort.

This may be helpful in deciding what you'd like to PL (or DPL! *SMILE*)

A good GENERAL rule of thumb is that 2,000 words will result in most reader's finished recording of around 15 minutes.
(This too will vary greatly depending on narration speed of the reader, which very well may depend on the complexity and tension of the piece, so please don't consider it to be a hard rule.)
I then add 1/3rd to that estimated time to account for need to stop, take the PL note and write the reply.
That gives me a good idea of my projected time investment.

I understand if you don't feel ready to do this, but I hope you will soon find a project without a DPL, and PL a few shorter sections, just to get a hang of it! It really is a lot of fun; you get to learn about and enjoy Public Domain works ... while providing a very valuable service.

Let us know if you have questions. We're happy to help!
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hey thanks thewhippleeffect!

Angelique already gave a clear explanation above, but let me add that you are welcome to ask any questions :thumbs:

Let us know if we can help you feel more ready to get started on proof listening :)
Carolin
linny

Post by linny »

Angelique,
Section 8 is PL OK. I noticed a second or two of volume changes you mentioned earlier. Honestly, it’s not an issue. If you do however make changes please include the time stamps so the recording can be spot checked.

You did a great job with these characters. :thumbs:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much linny :D
Carolin
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, Carolin and Linny,
I was finally able to re-listen to this entire recording, just to make SURE the insertions weren't so poorly done as to make me scream.
Yes, I think this is "okay." Although it certainly reminds me of the importance of recording in the same environment.
I record ... in a coat closet ... *Laugh* ... and it is COlllddd in there, so I came to the warmer living room! And I can hear it.
As always, I appreciate all of you who help and share so generously!

Best,
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you angelique! :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Divya volunteered as dpl via pm :clap:
Carolin
BluScriptz

Post by BluScriptz »

Hello Carolin. May I have a two-week extension for submitting my recordings? I'm sorry I couldn't do it so timely. I'm still adjusting recording, editing, and learning stuff about the software to my schedule.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

No problem, thanks for letting us know :thumbs:
Carolin
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Hello! I would like to claim sections 5 and 6.
nimnom

Post by nimnom »

Hi,

I'd love to read 5 : Skirmishing.

May pick up a future chapter after that too, if you're happy.

thanks

Naomi :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you phyllis!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

nimnom wrote: February 6th, 2019, 1:20 pm Hi,

I'd love to read 5 : Skirmishing.

May pick up a future chapter after that too, if you're happy.

thanks

Naomi :)
Hi naomi, this chapter has been claimed just before you posted. Can i offer you another open section instead? Thank you!
Carolin