COMPLETE [grp] For the Temple: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem By: G. A. Henty - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

For the Temple: A tale of the Fall of Jerusalem by G. A. Henty (1832 - 1902).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/for-the-temple-a-tale-of-the-fall-of-jerusalem-by-g-a-henty/

Abandoned solo, adopted by Linny as a group project.
In all history, there is no drama of more terrible interest than that which terminated with the total destruction of Jerusalem. Had the whole Jewish nation joined in the desperate resistance made, by a section of it, to the overwhelming strength of Rome, the world would have had no record of truer patriotism than that displayed, by this small people, in their resistance to the forces of the mistress of the world.

Unhappily, the reverse of this was the case. Except in the defense of Jotapata and Gamala, it can scarcely be said that the Jewish people, as a body, offered any serious resistance to the arms of Rome. The defenders of Jerusalem were a mere fraction of its population--a fraction composed almost entirely of turbulent characters and robber bands, who fought with the fury of desperation; after having placed themselves beyond the pale of forgiveness, or mercy, by the deeds of unutterable cruelty with which they had desolated the city, before its siege by the Romans. They fought, it is true, with unflinching courage--a courage never surpassed in history--but it was the courage of despair; and its result was to bring destruction upon the whole population, as well as upon themselves.

Fortunately the narrative of Josephus, an eyewitness of the events which he describes, has come down to us; and it is the storehouse from which all subsequent histories of the events have been drawn. It is, no doubt, tinged throughout by his desire to stand well with his patrons, Vespasian and Titus; but there is no reason to doubt the accuracy of his descriptions. I have endeavored to present you with as vivid a picture as possible of the events of the war, without encumbering the story with details and, except as regards the exploits of John of Gamala, of whom Josephus says nothing, have strictly followed, in every particular, the narrative of the historian.

G. A. Henty.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21614
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Special - Please follow text while PLing. I'm not looking for word perfect. The language is sometimes awkward and following the text will help identify errors which the ear alone may not find. Linny is DPL

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of For the Temple: A tale of the Fall of Jerusalem, by G.A. Henty. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Chapter number, title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of For the Temple: A tale of the Fall of Jerusalem, by G. A. Henty. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  7. Example filename forthetemple_##_henty_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. forthetemple_01_henty_128kb.mp3)
  8. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi, 3200runner! It doesn't look like anyone has communicated with you in a week. Sorry about that!

Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

I'm moving this to Book Suggestions until you've done the test, and (I hope) a little in a group project. When you're ready to do the solo, post in this thread, and an admin will move it back to the Launch Pad for you. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Okay I need a little help I have recorded the 1 minute test as well as the first few chapters in the book. I'm not sure if I did this right but here is the link for the preface and chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Preface_and_Chapter_1.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Instructions to upload your test are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
in the section titled "Upload your file and get feedback". :)

Please do not upload the chapters of the book yet. Those will be when the project is properly set up, which would be after the test is approved. Hopefully there's nothing in your setup that would require you to delete what you've recorded and start over! That's why we recommend the test before recording "for real".
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your 1-minute test is over here viewtopic.php?f=21&p=1531259#p1531259 , Someone will be along to check it.
You need to keep an eye out for the response

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Reader has completed the one-minute test. Moving this back to the Launch Pad.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'm happy to MC this for you. I'll get you set up and then come back with further instructions.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jacob,

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

We won't worry about a DPL just yet - folks often see new projects and volunteer to listen before anything is posted. If no one sees this, we will advertise once you have a section or two ready to listen to.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving to going solo.
MaryAnn
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Okay I have the magic window all set up for the first chapter. I put the first chapter and preface together because it was so short I didn't think it needed its own recording. I hope that's okay. If not I can fix it. Sorry its taken me so long to get this far, but I will be able to upload much more frequently now that I know how everything works. Well at least I think Iknow how everything works. If I'm still making some mistakes please let me know so I can fix them.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No problem putting the Preface with Chapter 1. I've adjusted your MW to reflect that.

No need to change the file name on the Preface/Chapter 1 - I can correct that when I catalog.

MaryAnn
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

hello, sorry I haven't posted anything for a while. I was caught up with the end of the semester. Finals ended today though so I should have a post ready by the end of next week and I will be much more consistent from here on out.
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Okay, Chapter 2 is up. :)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That's great. I've posted an advert for a DPL.
MaryAnn