[COMPLETE] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 10 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 22 Spot PL OK

Perfect - thank you! :)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you both!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can I have 26-28?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Foon

Post by Foon »

elsieselwyn wrote: April 28th, 2019, 10:02 pm Can I have 26-28?
Absolutely! They are all yours! :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

I have uploaded the audio for Section 23. (Finally!)

Final length is 37:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_23_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Jeff B.
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: April 29th, 2019, 11:16 pm I have uploaded the audio for Section 23. (Finally!)

Final length is 37:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_23_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Jeff B.
Thanks so much Jeff, it's in the MW for PL!

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Sorry for the delay in responding - I seem to have stopped getting notifications for posts to this thread. Hopefully this message will kick-start them again.

Your voice and reading are lovely, Jeff. I could listen to you for hours. There's one small issue with the reading - at 24m18s you render the text £.s.d. as "LSD" - a Victorian Briton, such as Burton, would read this as "pounds, shillings, pence" - UK currency until 1970. In effect, he's referring to money rather than psychedelic drugs.

Should you re-read that phrase? I'll defer to Foon on that one - my personal opinion is that it ought to be redone as it significantly alters the meaning for a modern reader, but that goes beyond the level of prooflistening that has been requested for this project.

Great work though - we're getting some fantastic voices in this volume! :-)
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

SkyRider wrote: May 5th, 2019, 5:19 am
Your voice and reading are lovely, Jeff. I could listen to you for hours. There's one small issue with the reading - at 24m18s you render the text £.s.d. as "LSD" - a Victorian Briton, such as Burton, would read this as "pounds, shillings, pence" - UK currency until 1970. In effect, he's referring to money rather than psychedelic drugs.
Well, that was the best part of the whole text. 8-)
Foon

Post by Foon »

SkyRider wrote: May 5th, 2019, 5:19 am Your voice and reading are lovely, Jeff. I could listen to you for hours. There's one small issue with the reading - at 24m18s you render the text £.s.d. as "LSD" - a Victorian Briton, such as Burton, would read this as "pounds, shillings, pence" - UK currency until 1970. In effect, he's referring to money rather than psychedelic drugs.

Should you re-read that phrase? I'll defer to Foon on that one - my personal opinion is that it ought to be redone as it significantly alters the meaning for a modern reader, but that goes beyond the level of prooflistening that has been requested for this project.
Thanks Paul, I agree that it quite changes the meaning -- Jeff, would you mind redoing that one line?

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Foon wrote: May 6th, 2019, 2:16 am Thanks Paul, I agree that it quite changes the meaning -- Jeff, would you mind redoing that one line?
No problem! In my own defense, though, I did look up £sd (pre-decimal currency) on Wikipedia, and it gives the pronunciation as: /ɛlɛsˈdiː/ ell-ess-dee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/£sd

I do understand how listeners unfamiliar with the term could become confused, however.

Paul/Foon: Do you want me to read this as “pounds, shillings, pence” or “pounds, shillings, and pence”?
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: May 6th, 2019, 7:21 am
Foon wrote: May 6th, 2019, 2:16 am Thanks Paul, I agree that it quite changes the meaning -- Jeff, would you mind redoing that one line?
No problem! In my own defense, though, I did look up £sd (pre-decimal currency) on Wikipedia, and it gives the pronunciation as: /ɛlɛsˈdiː/ ell-ess-dee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/£sd

I do understand how listeners unfamiliar with the term could become confused, however.

Paul/Foon: Do you want me to read this as “pounds, shillings, pence” or “pounds, shillings, and pence”?
Ahhh I didn't know that it was an alternate way of speaking the abbreviation. In that case, I'm fine with keeping it as is. I think "pounds, shilling, pence" would be easier to understand for the listener, but, there is no sense in having to correct something which isn't wrong!
I'll mark this PL OK, you can change it if you want, but I'm making the executive decision that it's fine as is ;)

Readers needed:
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

Please book me for sections 20 and 21 and sections that may be abandoned.

Thanks,

Mike
COGITO ! , (cough... volunteering) ERGO SUM !, :)
Foon

Post by Foon »

mikebotez wrote: May 8th, 2019, 3:53 am Please book me for sections 20 and 21 and sections that may be abandoned.

Thanks,

Mike
Great, thanks so much! That means we are now fully claimed! :)

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Foon wrote: May 8th, 2019, 4:54 amThat means we are now fully claimed! :)
:clap: :clap: :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Readers Found. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart