[COMPLETE] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 10 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

MrMike79 wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:59 am Greetings! I have finished section 7.
Thank you, Mike! Section 7 is PL OK!

A couple of other thoughts as I know that you're wanting to take this further. You're getting into the realm of where there isn't a "best" microphone but the question moves to which one's colour is best suited to your voice. The NT1A is very bright and I think that suits your expressive style of reading well. When I tried one, it really made my "s" and "th" phonemes hiss badly, but you seem to have tamed that either with good mike technique or a substantial pop shield.

One disadvantage of reading in a lively, expressive manner is that it can create larger dynamic ranges between the overall volume and the loudest bit. Librivox is quite forgiving on this - providing that you're not clipping and ReplayGain is within 2 of 89 you're OK. Others are a bit fussier and would require you to tame the peaks a little - very little in this case, maybe a couple of dB. The traditional way of doing this is via compression and there are several good compressors around, many of them free. GComp seems a popular choice. I've not found one that works well for me though as they all make me sound a little processed. I've taken to using a plugin called LoudMax (also free) which - to my ears at least - is less distorting. Perhaps it's more gradual on the volume changes - I've not investigated.

The other thing I noticed is that the noise behaves oddly in your audio. I can hear small amounts behind your voice but then it cuts off completely when you're not talking as if you used a noise gate or deamplified when you breathed, We can often be too afraid of noise - the general feeling is that a low level adds a bit of warmth. Both the NT1A and the FocusRite are low on noise anyway so you might not need any noise treatment at all. After recording, normalise the audio and if the noise is quieter than around -65dB then you might want to leave it be. I'm afraid I've not used Reaper so don't know how the noise reduction tools work on it to suggest more than that. Similarly, if your breathing isn't intrusive you don't need to silence every breath. I'm asthmatic so many of mine sound a bit like a death rattle so I copy/paste some background room noise over the worst to keep the audio from going completely silent.

I hope that's helpful - as I said, this is the icing on the cake. As things stand you've already sailed through the PL process without needing further changes. :D :clap:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Paul! :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
safasofia

Post by safasofia »

Hi there,

I've re-uploaded Section 14 with the corrections: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_14_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Time is now 6 minutes and 59 seconds.

- amplified volume by -2db (quieter now!)
- clipped blank space at beginning
- clipped end blurb that is meant for the end of the whole book

I'm sorry there were those errors, as I realize they all could have been prevented on my end had I paid more attention to the details. I'll be more careful going forward!

If it's all good, may I sign up for the next available section? :-)
Foon

Post by Foon »

safasofia wrote: January 15th, 2019, 10:52 am Hi there,

I've re-uploaded Section 14 with the corrections: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_14_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Time is now 6 minutes and 59 seconds.

- amplified volume by -2db (quieter now!)
- clipped blank space at beginning
- clipped end blurb that is meant for the end of the whole book

I'm sorry there were those errors, as I realize they all could have been prevented on my end had I paid more attention to the details. I'll be more careful going forward!

If it's all good, may I sign up for the next available section? :-)
Thank you! Paul will give this a spot check, and in the mean time I've signed you up for section 15 (that's what you wanted, right?)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

No apologies needed, Safa. It's like learning to drive - there are so many little details that you think you'll never get used to all of them and suddenly, after a few times, it all comes together and becomes instinctive.

The overall loudness is perfect now - good work!
The gap before you start is also ideal - thank you!
There's one small thing at the end - as well as excising the "End of book" piece, you've also cut the five second silence at the end. If you could just put a five second tail in that would be fantastic. :D

Sorry to send you round the loop again.
endlessriver

Post by endlessriver »

Hi, I've completed section 08. https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_08_anonymous_128kb.mp3 length 08:31

I do see that I've mistakenly exported and uploaded at 48khz instead of the desired 44.1 - I can easily adjust the sample rate, but how should I handle the re-uploading?

Aside from that, my productivity has been hampered by a bit of perfectionism but finally am getting to just work through it.
I'll appreciate any comments, and feel pretty good about completing the remaining sections once this section has been finalized after your feedback.

Thanks!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Just upload it with the same name - from our perspective, it looks as if the new one overwrites the old, though I believe the admins can access the previous iterations.

Hang fire for the moment though till I've done the PLing (tomorrow - it's late here in the UK). There's no point in uploading it twice if I spot anything else that needs changing.

Cheers,
Paul
Foon

Post by Foon »

endlessriver wrote: January 16th, 2019, 4:06 pm Hi, I've completed section 08. https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_08_anonymous_128kb.mp3 length 08:31

I do see that I've mistakenly exported and uploaded at 48khz instead of the desired 44.1 - I can easily adjust the sample rate, but how should I handle the re-uploading?

Aside from that, my productivity has been hampered by a bit of perfectionism but finally am getting to just work through it.
I'll appreciate any comments, and feel pretty good about completing the remaining sections once this section has been finalized after your feedback.

Thanks!
Thank you!
Indeed, as Paul said, you can just upload it with the same name. The previous version will be automatically renamed (it is not overwritten), so
a) the new file automatically replaces the old file (i.e. with the same link you just get the new file, which is great), and
b) the old file will still be accessible to the MC, if the need arises.

But indeed, please wait until he's had a chance to give it a listen. :)

Cheers,
Foon

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 8: As you spotted, the bitrate needs changing. Here's one of Phil's helpful videos to guide you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54FyB3wLpA You can change Audacity's defaults by pressing Crtl-P to bring up the Preferences menu then selecting Quality.

The volume is a bit quiet - could you amplify it by around 5dB, please? I've checked and you can do this without clipping or needing to compress.

That's it! Everything else is great!
endlessriver

Post by endlessriver »

SkyRider wrote: January 17th, 2019, 3:57 am Section 8: ... the bitrate needs changing. ... could you amplify it by around 5dB, please?
Hi, I've uploaded with the above changes. I mistakenly sent the unchanged version at first, but I think I got it right the second time around.....

again, section 08. https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_08_anonymous_128kb.mp3 length 08:31
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi endlessriver...

I've just done a spot check of the issues raised and those look fine. Section 8 PL OK!
endlessriver

Post by endlessriver »

SkyRider wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:15 am Hi endlessriver...

I've just done a spot check of the issues raised and those look fine. Section 8 PL OK!
Huzzah! I've completed section 9. https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_09_anonymous_128kb.mp3 length 9:36

I've tried to eyeball the amplification - is there a way to analyze the file to make sure it is more or less standardized?

Thanks!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

endlessriver wrote: January 21st, 2019, 3:42 pm
I've tried to eyeball the amplification - is there a way to analyze the file to make sure it is more or less standardized?
Yes, though the detail depends on what software you're using for your editing. I can help if you're using Audacity or Audition but if you're using something else I might need to ask further afield.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 9 PL OK - there are a couple of things to keep an eye on, however.

The volume is only just within range - to repeat my comment above, if you let me know what software you're using to edit I'll be able to give you better instructions on how to get an appropriate loudness.

The silence at the end isn't quite the full five seconds, but it's close enough that it's not worth redoing.

Otherwise, good work - particularly on the couplets where it can often be hard to get the poetry across.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you both! :thumbs:

Readers needed: