[COMPLETE] Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer by Sir Richard Steele - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer by Richard Steele (1672 - 1729).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/isaac-bickerstaff-physician-and-astrologer-by-richard-steele/
Isaac Bickerstaff Esq. was a pseudonym used by Jonathan Swift as part of a hoax to predict the death of then famous Almanac-maker and astrologer John Partridge. In 1709, Richard Steele bolstered the release of his new satirical paper The Tatler by naming the fictitious Isaac Bickerstaff Esq. as editor. These are fictional essays/memoirs of Bickerstaff, written by Steele. (temporary summary; final to be provided)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2644
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer, by Richard Steele. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer, by Richard Steele. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      isaacbickerstaff_##_steele_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. isaacbickerstaff_01_steele_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by ej400 on November 21st, 2018, 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Elijah - you really need to slow down a bit. You walked out earlier this year without any explanation and left others to finish off all your projects and now you reappear, signing up for PLing , and posting a Solo and now you want to BC a group project. Group projects are a responsibility, the readers who sign on expect the BC to be there when they need them and this does not happen when the BC disappears without notice, claims go unrecorded, readings are not added to the MW and eventually, someone else has to try and clean up after you rather than do what they want to do.

So you need to demonstrate that this isn't going to happen again and until then, please don't attempt to start a group project. We all know you are a teenager and life changes continually then - we've been there, done that, and it's nice to have you back but what you have started already should keep you going.

If you have a reason why you dropped out that you don't want in public PM me. Not having time is a good reason, but I'd expect you to learn from that and take on less this time so it doesn't happen again :D

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I understand that I walked away from librivox, and I do apologize that I didn't appear much after that. I honestly hope to work on more projects and get my projects complete and done. I am more mature now, and I realize that what I was doing before was extremely rude of me and I sincerely do apologize.

I see your point that I probably should slow down, and that I should take things slowly until I can prove to you that I'm going to stay here and do what I need to. To be honest, I want to make sure that I can prove myself to be an active user, and I would like to complete projects without walking away. Although it seems like I'm jumping in early, and that my reputation isn't very good currently, I want you to trust me when I say that I'm going to make sure my projects and getting full attention and that if someone claims something I will put it in as soon as possible. I promise that I'm going to try my hardest to give time to librivox.

All I'm asking that this be the last project I open up before I complete another one please. Thank you.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

I've corrected the book title (added "Physician and Astrologer") and the genres/keywords (it's not a children's book). I've slapped together an intro, as you really should have one for potential readers. In the course of the project, you can hone this or discard it altogether for one of your own.

I think that's all I need to say. I'll get the MW up shortly.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you so much Tricia, I thank you for giving me another chance even though I really didn't deserve it. I really appreciate it, thank you so much. And thanks for changing the title and the intro, I'm not really familiar with the book, yet.

I'll add the word count into the MW later, thanks again.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I've added the titles and the word counts. I also found a mistake with gutenberg, where in the last two chapters (26 and 27), 26 is listed as XVII instead of XXVI. 27 is listed as XXVI, but it is XXVII.

I think were ready to move to readers wanted: books.

Thank you
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Per PM, changing this into a solo.

You'll need a new DPL. ;)

I didn't change the first post to the solo template; you can use the shortened LV intro in your second and subsequent sections.

Moved to Going Solo.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

I would be happy to PL for you if you are still looking for a DPL.

aniroo
aniroo :wink: