[COMPLETE] The Theory and Practice of Brewing by M. Combrune - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The Theory and Practice of Brewing by Michael Combrune ( - 1773).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-theory-and-practice-of-brewing-by-michael-combrune/

This is an elaborate treatise on how to brew beer. That art is as noble today as it was in 1761, when this book was first published, and Mr. Combrune was a master of his art. After reading his work on this topic, a glass of beer can be enjoyed on quite a different level. ( Carolin)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56784
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. Footnotes: You can ignore the footnotes! If you think that a footnote in your section is particularly interesting, you can read it if you like. Please make sure you mark footnotes by saying "footnote: ... end of footnote". Thank you!
  8. Tables: This book contains a lot of tables. dont be discouraged when you see them, most of them are very easy to read. if you need help, please let me know, i can see if i can transcribe them for you or otherwise help out. Thank you!
  9. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Theory and Practice of Brewing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      Please read the section number as in the magic window, not as in the text!
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Theory and Practice of Brewing, by Michael Combrune. Section [number, title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Theory and Practice of Brewing, by Michael Combrune. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  10. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    brewing_##_combrune_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. brewing_01_combrune_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

part II section 3: of extraction.

part 1: please read until
As high liquors used to extract low dried malt will form a must capable to preserve itself equally a long time, as an adequate liquor used to high dried malt doth; and the first of these methods having greatly the advantage of the other in point of taste, as 130 degrees of dryness in malt is one, from its change of color, where part of its finer principles may be supposed to be evaporated. It may not be amiss to enquire if there be not reasons why malt, less affected by fire, should be used for manufacturing this commodity.

part 2: please start at
The medium of the malt’s dryness, and of the heat of the extracts, together with the value of the hops which are to make porter, is 148 degrees. This, because precipitation has been found convenient and necessary for this drink, yet, when at the proper age, it has undergone this last operation, it is supposed to shew itself in its best form; bright, well-tasted, and strong; that is, in such state as drink should be, which becomes spontaneously transparent, and is capable of preserving itself a long time
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this project is now ready to go! all readers and a dpl are most welcome :D
Carolin
Foon

Post by Foon »

Carolin, I so love the books you come up with :D

May I claim 5 and 6?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

I would like to start us off with #1.

BettyB
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Aargh - I can't resist.

Grinding, 17 and Malt Liquors, 21, to me, please.

This is not how to reduce backlog!

;)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you all :D :9:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

We are moving out to readers wanted :thumbs:
Carolin
Bludbath

Post by Bludbath »

I'm new here and this seems like a good first read for me. Looking to claim any or all of 2. Of Fire, 3. Of Air, or 4. Of Water. Thanks.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox, Bludbath (what a scary nick! :D)
Bludbath wrote: November 4th, 2018, 11:00 am Looking to claim any or all of 2. Of Fire, 3. Of Air, or 4. Of Water.
Wonderful. Might be quite a bit for a first read :lol: but it's up to Carolin to decide. :)

It is strongly recommended that you do your 1-minute-test before you tackle such a big section like ones of this book :) That is not an audition; it is only to make sure your files have the right tech specs (believe me, you do not want to re-record such a section only because there was something wrong with the tech specs ;) ).
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Bludbath wrote: November 4th, 2018, 11:00 am I'm new here and this seems like a good first read for me. Looking to claim any or all of 2. Of Fire, 3. Of Air, or 4. Of Water. Thanks.
Hi and welcome to librivox! You are welcome to participate in this project :) it will be a good first dip into a water if you like booth reading and a beer!

To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

Please also complete the one minute test before getting started :thumbs: thank you!
Carolin
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I would like to read these...

Section X (#11 on list) - "Of The Nature of Barley"

and

Section XIII (#14 on list) "Observations of Defective Malts"

Thanks!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you pete :thumbs:
Carolin
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I have been wondering how to pronounce the author's name. Michael Combrune's family emigrated to England from France, and the surname was shortened. I am inclined to think the emphasis is on the second syllable. Kindly set me straight if that is not correct!

Combrune, Michael (d. 1773), brewer, was the fourth son among the six children of Peter de Vesis de Comberbrune (d. 1731) and his wife, Judith Elizabeth, daughter of Constantin de Coursy, both Huguenot refugees settled in the parish of St Anne, Westminster...

http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-54669/version/0
Bludbath

Post by Bludbath »

moniaqua wrote: November 4th, 2018, 2:42 pm Welcome at LibriVox, Bludbath (what a scary nick! :D)
Bludbath wrote: November 4th, 2018, 11:00 am Looking to claim any or all of 2. Of Fire, 3. Of Air, or 4. Of Water.
Wonderful. Might be quite a bit for a first read :lol: but it's up to Carolin to decide. :)

It is strongly recommended that you do your 1-minute-test before you tackle such a big section like ones of this book :) That is not an audition; it is only to make sure your files have the right tech specs (believe me, you do not want to re-record such a section only because there was something wrong with the tech specs ;) ).
I'll have to do that. I would would still claim one if that's ok.