[COMPLETE]From Ritual to Romance by Jessie L. Weston-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Morning All

Thanks Wolfi for your comments. Devorah, please indicate when I need to make the changes and resubmit? Is that all the changes that need to be made?? Im amazed. As for reading the whole book...wow, I thought it was all mine. :D

Please let me know if that was acceptable apart from the changes so I know that I can continue with other projects. Is there anything left in this project that I can help with?

regards

Dawn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm not sure I understand what happened here. The issues with the opening silence and introduction will definitely need to be fixed. But what's this about having read the whole book? I haven't had time to go in and listen to any part of the recording myself.

This was your original claim:
Happiness1 wrote: March 26th, 2021, 3:00 am Good day

Im brand new but really keen to start somewhere. I see the The Author part is still up for grabs. Could I be assigned that section please. Im happy to go under the name Dawn.
Which led me to believe that you were volunteering to read only chapter 14, entitled "The Author." If that was a misunderstanding, then we can work through it. But I don't see how the whole book could possibly fit into less than an hour.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi Devorah

I agree. I got Chapter 14 which was divided into two chapters, Chapter 1 Introductory and Chapter 2 Freeing the Waters. Printed out it was 18 pages??
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok. I'll take a look this evening, if I can. This has been a weird week so far, so I'm hoping things have calmed down now.
schrm

Post by schrm »

yes, sorry for confusions - what i checked, you haven't read chapter 14.
started with pl, but then changed to: i just listened a sentence and serached for it in the text.
so, since you told us yourself
Happiness1 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 7:03 am I got Chapter 14 which was divided into two chapters, Chapter 1 Introductory and Chapter 2 Freeing the Waters. Printed out it was 18 pages??
i think its clearer:
please take a look in the mw - section 14 is called "the author" and at the end of the book.

you have read the chapter introduction, and what i remember yoz started with the book beginning.
when you have read chapter 3 the freeing of the waters, maybe you have read the first three or four chapters?

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

oh good grief...Im sorry, It said The Author. So is it unusable now. :| I so wanted to get it right. Please tell me how I can fix it. Must I go relook at Chapter 14 and do that. Is the quality of my recording acceptable, I think that is my biggest question? If the editing I did on it and the recording is good, then I can definately fix whatever needs fixing asap now that Im into it.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Happiness1 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:56 pm oh good grief...Im sorry, It said The Author. So is it unusable now. :| I so wanted to get it right. Please tell me how I can fix it. Must I go relook at Chapter 14 and do that. Is the quality of my recording acceptable, I think that is my biggest question? If the editing I did on it and the recording is good, then I can definately fix whatever needs fixing asap now that Im into it.
You do have some great differences in volume. Or better: some sudden drops for just a word or two.
There could be several reasons for that... To me, it is like you marked not the whole sentence?
Or maybe while you are reading you move too gar away from the mic.

Other than that i think ur recording is really enjoyable and absolutely fine! Your accent makes it a great pleasure to listen to, too (i'm Austrian but i understand it very well. And the text is more lively, more impressing)

but i have to repeat: i didn't listen to all of it, i was looking which part of the text you are reading :-)

It is not the easiest way to begin in LV and you did a great job! I suggest not wasting this recording, it will be a good addition to a collection. Or a part of it...
And the dpl will have other, additional pl notes!

:D
And sry for typos autocorrect in another language than set is a horror
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, I think I see what happened here. You actually started your reading in the Table of Contents. You read the chapter summary for Ch. 14, but then the table of contents ended and chapter 1 began. Not knowing you were in the Table of Contents, you read chapter 1 as if it was a subset of chapter 14. Since chapter 1 has already been read, that part is not usable.

However, you then went on to read chapter 2, which has not yet been assigned. So we can still use this part! I will just assign you chapter 2. :)

Chapter 2 begins at 23:08, so everything before that would have to go (sorry!) and we'll need a new intro at the beginning:
"Chapter 2 of From Ritual to Romance. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"From Ritual to Romance, by Jessie Laidlay Weston."
I'll go ahead and listen to the rest of chapter 2 and post if I find anything else that needs to be corrected.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I agree that you have a very engaging reading style and a pleasant voice and pace. I also heard the same volume issues that Wolfi pointed out. I've listed several of them below, but after the first few minutes, I stopped listing them.

25:01-25:05 "which by ye and this sword are wasted and made void." too quiet
25:19-25:24 "the waters flowed again thro' their channel, and all the woods were turned to verdure." too quiet
25:34-25:37 "Quester is prepared, and knows what is expected of him." too quiet
27:05-27:07 "wakes, like the earlier hero, to find that the" too quiet
27:36-2:40 "par coi amendé/Somes, en si faite maniére" too quiet
27:49-27:51 "Like Gawain, he had" too quiet
28:10 There is a clap here, followed by you saying "French inserts." Did you plan to insert these later, then forget? Or did you want Sonia to record that part for you?
28:44-28:47 "primitive simplicity—the motive for which is" too quiet
29:26 Again a clap and then "French inserts."
29:30-29:34 "but by Perceval's failure to ask the question he has" too quiet
29:37 Claps and then "French inserts."
29:53-29:57 "where the failure of the predestined hero to ask concerning the" too quiet (Here I stopped noting these quiet portions. Please listen to the rest of the file and fix any others you find.)
30:04 Claps and then "French inserts."
33:41 Claps and then "insert French."
34:29 Claps and then "insert French."
39:35 Claps and then "insert French."
39:46 Claps and then "insert French."
42:15 Here Chapter 2 ends and Chapter 3 begins. Chapter 3 has already been read, so we'll be unable to use everything after this point as well. (Sorry!) You'll need to add a new ending: "End of chapter 2," followed by about 5 seconds of silence.

So, here's what we can do:
  1. Start at the end. Cut off everything after 42:15 and and a new ending.
  2. Then go and listen to the spots I pointed out that had low volume, amplifying as needed.
  3. Listen to the remainder of the chapter, fixing any low volume spots.
  4. Then cut off everything before 23:08 and add a new intro, as outlined in my post above.
  5. Name it: fromritualtoromance_02_weston_128kb
(3b. If you plan you read the non-English portions yourself [some are French and some German], then go ahead and insert those as you adjust volume. Otherwise, I can take care of it.)

Also let me know if you still want to have a go at the real chapter 14! It begins with "Having now completed our survey of the various elements..." and ends with "...ancient and august Ritual in terms of imperishable Romance."
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Good morning. Thank you all for those comments. I also noticed the high and low spots and tried to correct them. I was using fade in but I think I just need a tip on how one highlights the whole document and amplifies it. I've watched dozens of utube videos. I followed the steps laid out in some of the videos which corresponded ENCN. Noise reduction, Noise Gate, Equalisation and normalisation. I then listened to the whole piece and used the fade in button for the plosives but know that there are still those highs and lows you speak of and since i've got a head mic, I don't understand them. I read the whole piece in one go so it doesnt make sense that the mic is further away or closer. I then used MP3 gain on the whole piece and then the checker and it passed.

I see you mention amplification, does one then highlight the whole piece and use the amplify effect? I'll go utube it.

Let me get onto the changes first and see if I can get those right and the spacing at the front of the piece and then I'll happily read Chapter 14 :wink:. Thanks for your patience with me. Im really getting into it now. I still don't understand all the technical settings in Audacity effects but Im sure I'll get it together slowly.

Thanks for the comments on my voice, it gives me the confidence to keep going :D I've got the weekend to sort it out and read Chapter 14.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Happiness1 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 10:31 pm Good morning. Thank you all for those comments. I also noticed the high and low spots and tried to correct them. I was using fade in but I think I just need a tip on how one highlights the whole document and amplifies it. I've watched dozens of utube videos. I followed the steps laid out in some of the videos which corresponded ENCN. Noise reduction, Noise Gate, Equalisation and normalisation. I then listened to the whole piece and used the fade in button for the plosives but know that there are still those highs and lows you speak of and since i've got a head mic, I don't understand them. I read the whole piece in one go so it doesnt make sense that the mic is further away or closer. I then used MP3 gain on the whole piece and then the checker and it passed.

I see you mention amplification, does one then highlight the whole piece and use the amplify effect? I'll go utube it.

Let me get onto the changes first and see if I can get those right and the spacing at the front of the piece and then I'll happily read Chapter 14 :wink:. Thanks for your patience with me. Im really getting into it now. I still don't understand all the technical settings in Audacity effects but Im sure I'll get it together slowly.

Thanks for the comments on my voice, it gives me the confidence to keep going :D I've got the weekend to sort it out and read Chapter 14.
may i jump in once again?

fade in does the opposite than you want: it amplifies down the beginning of the selected recording to fade in the volume.
the effect is known from listening to the radio: when a song comes to its end, often they fade out the music (it gets more and more silent) and at the same time the voice of the moderator fades in (gets louder slowly, instead of cutting up the song and screaming into the mic shockingly).

when you mark a single word or sentence to match the volume of the other parts: choose menue --> effects, in the drop down list choose --> amplify (and there enter a parameter, which you will learn with experience. approximately plus or minus 1-3 db can do the trick, sometimes you need 8)

in case you want to amplify the whole file: select all (you can click into the window to the left of the soundwaves, or press the keyboard buttons "ctrl" and "a" at the same time).

we have some video tutorials by our mc phil (which are for beginners and more experienced users of librivox, but spare to learn the highly professional stuff), which may help you (i learned all i needed to know from them): https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Video_Guides

normalisation should average the volume of a recording - so, there are fans of it .....and not so fans (i am the latter one).

hope i could help and answer some questions :-)

cheers,
schrm
Last edited by schrm on April 30th, 2021, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I agree that fade in is not a good choice to use in the future. That's almost certainly what is causing those drops in volume. Amplification should be all you need. I also agree that Phil's videos are very helpful without being overwhelming. This is a better link, though: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos The one above is old and has changed a lot.

I'm glad that you are willing to continue working through this! Give yourself some time, and I think you will be a good asset to us! :D
schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you devorah! :D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Thanks so much for all those comments guys, I really appreciate it. I'll get to work on it tomorrow, it's nice and rainy and wonderful to sit and read. Can I then also confirm that I am going to read Chapter 14 this time. I'll first do the work on the original piece and then if I feel I've got it, I'll do Chapter 14. Google is my friend and so are your links. one step at a time. Breathe. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds great! :D
Happiness1 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:26 am one step at a time. Breathe. :)
Yep, you've got it! :thumbs: