[COMPLETE]From Ritual to Romance by Jessie L. Weston-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Good morning Felix. Thank you for the heads up. I received my microphone this morning and I am more than happy with two hours of work. reading out loud is a passion for me and this is a step up in my skills but Im ready and keen for the challenge. I have the "Checker" software downloaded and feel that the sooner I start to actually do the work, the sooner the nerves and mystery will resolve and I can become a valuable part of the Librivox team.

when do I start? Do I just get stuff set up, do the test and then start and see how it goes?
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi, Im probably being blonde but I cannot access the book to find section 14. Please help. The way I understood it is that the book is in the highlighted text at the top of the screen but if I click on it, it does not take me to the text. Please help.

tx
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 2:08 am when do I start? Do I just get stuff set up, do the test and then start and see how it goes?
Yes! The test is your next step. It usually takes a day or so to get feedback, but then once it's approved, you can go ahead and stay recording for real!

As for the text itself, you'll find the link you need in the first post of page 1 of this thread. Read through that post carefully. It contains all the details you'll need to know, such as how to word the introduction to your section, what to name your completed file, etc.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Cool, thanks Devorah? I thought I'd read through it carefully and have made loads of notes but I'll go check there again. I'll send through the test tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Just to let you know that I have just posted my test to you. I'll await feedback. There were one or two small errors but I am assuming that this is to check the quality of the recording and my voice so I didn't worry too much about them.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 6:56 am Just to let you know that I have just posted my test to you. I'll await feedback. There were one or two small errors but I am assuming that this is to check the quality of the recording and my voice so I didn't worry too much about them.
Thank you, Dawn. I'm glad that you managed to get it uploaded. However, I don't see that you have posted the link to it anywhere. The following is copied from the instructions on posting your test:
  • Copy the link it provides when the upload is complete, and post it in a new thread in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum. Please include the recording software (Audacity, Garage Band), operating system (Windows or Mac) and mic type (USB or Analog) you are using in the post as this will help us giving advice that is tailored to your problem.
    1. If you've already claimed a section and your Book Coordinator has asked you to post in the project thread, first post the link above in Listeners and Editors Wanted as above. Then post in the project thread with the URL to the thread you just created. Just ask if you're not surest.
    2. Don't forget to post the link to your test in the forum - if you don't, no one will know that you have uploaded your test!
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

My apologies Felix. I have Windows 10 operating system, I have a Logitech 540 mic/headset, I used Audacity for the recording and used the MP3Gain to ensure that the volume was correct. I managed to get the static feedback problem sorted. The link is pasted below:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/test_dawnzimmermann.mp3

I'm sure I'll get into the system quickly, there just seems so much to go through and I was a bit panicky about getting the recording part right. I hope its done correctly. I have a template for the recording as per instructions but didnt use it exactly since this was a test and they said to use a poem or a short piece from Gutenburg. I just used a beginning piece from our project, I hope it's fine. I'll redo it if you need me to.

rgds
Dawn
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi Felix

Just a query. It says in the Test recording text that we need to choose the MC name and post it to the MC and post it to the Forum but it also says, post it to readers and editors wanted - Test-Test. I uploaded my two minute recording on your name and the Forum but I can't see it there and my one minute test on the Forum which I can see.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:43 am Hi Felix

Just a query. It says in the Test recording text that we need to choose the MC name and post it to the MC and post it to the Forum but it also says, post it to readers and editors wanted - Test-Test. I uploaded my two minute recording on your name and the Forum but I can't see it there and my one minute test on the Forum which I can see.
Thank you! You may have already seen it, but your test has already been okayed in Listeners Wanted. So you are good to start recording for real! :thumbs:

To answer your question about MCs, every project has its own MC, and every file for that project should go to that MC's folder. The tests should go in the test folder.

There is a rather steep learning curve when you get started here. We're aware of that, so there's no need to apologize. No one expects you to know everything right away. :) That's one reason that we encourage the test. It helps you to work your way through a lot of issues before you start in on the real thing.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Oh wow, YAY :clap: thank you.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Good afternoon Felix

Im so excited to start with my first reading assignment which will be over the weekend. I have two questions please if you can clarify and I know I've read some of this somewhere. I understand that if there is a mistake, we need to make a loud noise, clap or say loudly mistake then redo the sentence. At the beginning of my piece is some latin. How do I create space for the latin insert and any others that appear in the text?

Then just to confirm. We have to start and work to the end in one file with no interruptions, is that right?

regards

Dawn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:57 am Good afternoon Felix

Im so excited to start with my first reading assignment which will be over the weekend. I have two questions please if you can clarify and I know I've read some of this somewhere. I understand that if there is a mistake, we need to make a loud noise, clap or say loudly mistake then redo the sentence. At the beginning of my piece is some latin. How do I create space for the latin insert and any others that appear in the text?
Ah, I hadn't seen the Latin when I was skimming the chapters. Well, I suppose we have a few choices. You can, if you like, attempt to pronounce the Latin. It isn't a very long quote, I think. I recently found a good guide to Latin pronunciation: https://www.wikihow.com/Pronounce-Latin Your best attempt would be fine. Being a dead language, there is no risk of a native speaker showing up to correct you. :wink: And Sonia has volunteered to record the non-English portions if needed, so that you can copy her pronunciation.

Or, if you are really not comfortable with this, then Sonia has also said she's willing to have her voice inserted, which I think is what you were referring to. But we just need to know for sure what you'd like to do. I'm willing to do the actual editing of her voice into your file if you are not yet ready for that. But it is quite a simple process. You would leave a space (I'd say maybe five seconds or so, to make it very obvious visually where the snippet should go). Then just open her file in another window, highlight it, and cut and paste it into yours. Then a bit of tweaking of volume and maybe trim the gaps, and then that's it!
Then just to confirm. We have to start and work to the end in one file with no interruptions, is that right?
No, this is not at all necessary. Especially for a long section, it's sometimes just not practical, or even possible. It does need to be one file, yes, but you can record over the course of several sessions. You should, however, make sure that each time you record, you are recording under similar conditions. The same distance away from the mic. The same audio settings on your computer. The same ambient noise (or preferably lack thereof) in the room. Some people even recommend the same time of day. I haven't personally noticed that that affects my voice, but it does for many. Keeping these things the same will help you to avoid any obvious or jarring change in the sound.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Good morning Felix

Im happy to try the pronunciation in Latin. I'll go through the file you sent me and I'll do it a few times to check how it goes. If I feel I've got a chance at making it sound sensible then I'll let you know, else I'll clap and leave a 5 second gap and clap again. Im doing it tomorrow so I'll let you know as soon as I've spent some time checking it out. :D Interestingly, I have an x boyfriend who still speaks latin, I highly doubt he'll ever get to Librivox tho, so we're goo :wink:
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

H Felix, your blonde newbie here again :D .

I've done my recording and now Im faffing with listening and editing. I've tried to look on the forum for help but can't find any re my responsibilities after recording. I understand there are readers who check but do I edit out the errors first and then submit the recording or does someone else do that. Ive spent the whole day watching utube clips about editing so Im also just keeping you in the loop of where I am in the process and I certainly don't understand and need to practice the editing, not as simple as it seems when you're just starting... the whole lot looks encyclopedic :hmm: .
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for sticking with it, Dawn!

You are responsible for editing your own recording. When you upload it, it should be, to the best of your knowledge, ready to go into the catalogue. It will be proof listened, just in case you missed something, but that's just as a final check.

Here is a video on basic editing in Audacity, which should cover everything you need to know: https://youtu.be/W9NuSuWYaWg (You do use Audacity, I think?)

And here is one more video on the process that one reader uses to edit his recordings: https://youtu.be/AMHG6WbiEYg This isn't necessarily a guide to follow, but just an example of the steps one person uses. His process in this video is pretty similar to the one I used when I started here, and that I still sometimes use. Although I skip some of the steps he uses, because I don't find that they work well for me.