[COMPLETE]From Ritual to Romance by Jessie L. Weston-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

i was near giving up with this..
but finally i have a version to upload..

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/fromritualtoromance_03_weston_128kb.mp3
Track Length
18:28,19 (m:ss.ss)

my tongue was twisted, every other entry in our lists of complicated words was there, 3 languages or four and i forgot how to pronounce any of them, ...

what a project!
:lol: :clap:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi Felix

thanks so much. somehow I didnt get a notification for your message. I posted on the Audacity forum that Im struggling with the versions. Im using v3 but the tutorials use other versions. I have a perfect video clip of how to edit but my version somehow doesnt respond like that. I'll go check out your videos, thanks. I want to try to finish it tomorrow.

Also, I just need some advice on the reading please. If I have Audacity open and minimise it and my reading piece open and minimise it, I can see both but the swop over from one to other is difficult because I then have to scroll down. Sometimes it scrolls past where I was reading and then I have to stop and re-record that section. Is there an easier way to do this without printing out the 19 pages of text?

thanks so much for your help. Im almost there. :D
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi Felix

thanks so much. somehow I didnt get a notification for your message. I posted on the Audacity forum that Im struggling with the versions. Im using v3 but the tutorials use other versions. I have a perfect video clip of how to edit but my version somehow doesnt respond like that. I'll go check out your videos, thanks. I want to try to finish it tomorrow.

Also, I just need some advice on the reading please. If I have Audacity open and minimise it and my reading piece open and minimise it, I can see both but the swop over from one to other is difficult because I then have to scroll down. Sometimes it scrolls past where I was reading and then I have to stop and re-record that section. Is there an easier way to do this without printing out the 19 pages of text?

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

schrm wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:17 am i was near giving up with this..
but finally i have a version to upload..

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/fromritualtoromance_03_weston_128kb.mp3
Track Length
18:28,19 (m:ss.ss)

my tongue was twisted, every other entry in our lists of complicated words was there, 3 languages or four and i forgot how to pronounce any of them, ...

what a project!
:lol: :clap:
Thank you for sticking with it! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:23 am Hi Felix

I don't know for sure which part of the video you mean, when you say your version doesn't respond the same. But I do know that one major difference (which threw me off at first when I updated my version) is that clicking the Record button on newer versions doesn't start a new track. Instead, it picks up the recording at the end of the current track. If you do want to start a new track, you can hold R while you click Record.

As far as how to keep your text visible, there are several approaches possible. Some people record on one device, while they read the text from another device (a phone or tablet, for instance). I don't know if this is a possibility for you. I have Audacity open in a small screen with the text behind it, full screen. I use the wheel on my mouse to scroll. As long as I am hovering over the text, the mouse wheel will cause it to scroll without needing to click off of Audacity. On the other hand, there's no necessity to leave the Audacity window visible. You can start it recording, then minimize it and just have your text visible while you read. I don't know what might be best for you. It depends on your work space and your own personal style. Try a few different approaches and see what feels best.
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Section 03 is perfectly PL OK.

You have a lovely accent - a pleasure to listen.
Regards, Martin
schrm

Post by schrm »

Thank you so much :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Thanks for the comment on the Audacity version, yes, that is exactly what I am struggling with. Ok, good, I'll try what you say and now I should be able to finish it shortly. Holding thumbs.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Finally....I think it's in a format which is at starting acceptable level. I look forward to comments and feedback. Learning this has been quite a challenge and I am positive I still have tons to learn. The "Plosives" seem to be a bit of a problem but all in all it doesnt sound too bad. :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/chap_14_ritualtoromance_1804.mp3 58.05 minutes
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:16 am Finally....I think it's in a format which is at starting acceptable level. I look forward to comments and feedback. Learning this has been quite a challenge and I am positive I still have tons to learn. The "Plosives" seem to be a bit of a problem but all in all it doesnt sound too bad. :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/chap_14_ritualtoromance_1804.mp3 58.05 minutes
Thank you so much! This was a very long chapter. You should feel proud of yourself for completing it, even if there are still some issues to fix. :clap: Martin, our DPL, will listen to it and let you know in this thread if there is anything that needs to be addressed.

I can tell you now that the file name will need to be corrected. We have to use a specific format in order for everything to save properly. This should have been named:

fromritualtoromance_14_weston_128kb

This information is in the first post. Still, don't feel bad about it. Learning to record and edit is a big hurdle in itself, so I don't blame you at all for overlooking this. Don't correct it just yet. Let's wait until we have your PL report, so that if there are any other issues to fix, you can get them and the file name all in one go. :D
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Thanks Felix. I will remember that in future. Im really looking forward to the feedback, praying its all usable.
PawnOfPazuzu

Post by PawnOfPazuzu »

Hi there!

I would like to claim: Section 7 - 'The Sword Dance', Section 8 - 'The Medicine Man' and Section 12 - 'Mithra and Attis' if I may?

I am far too eager! I am new to LibriVox but have gotten a taste for it. I have time on my hands at the moment, so want to really dive in and get into full swing.

I am from the UK and I have grown up with the Mummers and Morris Dancers performing at pubs along our local Green. I lived in Cornwall for years, running around Tintagel Castle, King Arthur's place of conception supposedly. The German Verse in 'The Medicine Man' is too tempting so I simply have to do it. I also went to the temple of Mithras beneath London a few years back and have been obsessed with Mithraism forever. Just an awesome range of subjects covered here!

I studied Latin, Ancient Greek and German at school. I am genuinely excited to give reading a spattering of each a go! I may very well butcher the French (orally not physically!) I do not speak French, but my father is fluent so I may be able to mimic him and wrangle him into the world of LibriVox in the process. He is fluent in French, German and Latin so would be ideal here, if only he would sign up!

Readily open to correcting my pronunciation if anything sounds off once I have recorded it. I have been told before that my German sounds Austrian although I was taught by someone from Berlin ha. And the French will be interesting to say the least, might sound more Latin than Français! If it is too clunky then I may very well pass over to Sonia for those portions. But I will give it a go!

My pseudonym on here is PawnOfPazuzu but I am happy to go by my real name for the LibriVox catalogue, EJ How.

All the Best,
Emma
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

PawnOfPazuzu wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 10:58 pm Hi there!

I would like to claim: Section 7 - 'The Sword Dance', Section 8 - 'The Medicine Man' and Section 12 - 'Mithra and Attis' if I may?

My pseudonym on here is PawnOfPazuzu but I am happy to go by my real name for the LibriVox catalogue, EJ How.

All the Best,
Emma
Thank you, you're in! Glad to see you are up for the challenge of the languages. I am most certainly not! :lol:

By the way, you have already been entered into the catalogue as EJ How, so you don't need to specify it anymore. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Unfortunately, our DPL had to withdraw from this project for personal reasons. We wish him well and hope he can return to LV soon.

In the meantime, I will advertise for a new DPL.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi devorah, hi happiness :-)

i was thinking f taking over the dpl duties for this project and listened to chapter 14

checker is ok

filename should be in this format fromritualtoromance_##_weston_128kb.mp

5 seconds of starting silence! it should be about half a second, or a second
please cut the first word, too: introduction is not part of the text - so, please cut the first 6 seconds
there are some harsh differences in volume, which are cut away with that , too

you have read the short sumamry at the beginning of the book before the text - in case this was planned to be read, it would be in the order the author wrote, i think. we have a rule in librivox: never omit or change, what the author wrote. short summaries at the beginning of a chapter and footnotes are the exception of this rule: they can be omitted. and in this case, they are at the beginning of the book, and not part of the text.
so, please cut ~ seconds 31 to 1:54

and then i realized... (and checked with random parts of the recording)
happiness, you have read the whole book?

i am sort of feeling admiration but..
that's not what i expected.

and therefore i think your recording would fit into a collection of short prose, maybe the nonfiction collection?

...giving over to devorah!
:D

cheers,
wolfi

mightyfelix wrote: April 19th, 2021, 9:18 pm
Happiness1 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:16 am Finally....I think it's in a format which is at starting acceptable level. I look forward to comments and feedback. Learning this has been quite a challenge and I am positive I still have tons to learn. The "Plosives" seem to be a bit of a problem but all in all it doesnt sound too bad. :clap:

Thank you so much! This was a very long chapter. You should feel proud of yourself for completing it, even if there are still some issues to fix. :clap: Martin, our DPL, will listen to it and let you know in this thread if there is anything that needs to be addressed.

I can tell you now that the file name will need to be corrected. We have to use a specific format in order for everything to save properly. This should have been named:

fromritualtoromance_14_weston_128kb

This information is in the first post. Still, don't feel bad about it. Learning to record and edit is a big hurdle in itself, so I don't blame you at all for overlooking this. Don't correct it just yet. Let's wait until we have your PL report, so that if there are any other issues to fix, you can get them and the file name all in one go. :D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275