[COMPLETE] The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lomond wrote: November 12th, 2018, 10:08 pm
Some notes on Chapter 9:

Time: 01:30 Text has "Next the ghastly ticking of a death-watch" Reading has ghostly instead of ghastly. Not sure if it is worth changing or not.

Hi Lomond (and jfschuurman),

"Ghostly" versus "Ghastly" have slightly different meanings. (Just slightly, but it kind of changes the mood...)

Jfschuurman,
Go ahead and replace that, please. (I see you said you would already, just making sure it's clear since Lomond wasn't sure about it. ) It's not really a super big deal, but just a personal preference.
(And since I'm the BC, personal preferences go a long ways....kind of. :lol: )

Thanks!
Best,
JayKitty
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you Lomond for all your PLing.
I appreciate it!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Matityahu,
Chapter 17 is very well done. I just have a couple notes:

At ~4:40, you said 'services' instead of 'service'. Not a huge deal, but it changes the meaning of the sentence a little.

~5:08-5:15, there is a rapid clicking noise in the background.

~7:17-7:23, same noise.

~8:02-8:05, same noise.
Good job of reading- just post back here with the corrections and we can give it another go!

Thanks,
JayKitty
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

I've reposted chapter 9 with the ghostly changed to ghastly :mrgreen:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/tomsawyer_09_128kb.mp3
There's got to be a place ahead where men ain't low down and cards are played fair. If there ain't, what are all the songs about? (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

A couple of notes for Chapter 12:

Time: 03:30 Text has "with a slim oatmeal diet and blister-plasters. She calculated his" Reading has blistering-plasters.

Time: 09:13 Text has "At last frocks ceased to appear, and he dropped" Reading has seemed instead of ceased.

A couple of quick edits and it is good to go.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapter 25 doesn't need anything done to it. Nicely read. Definitely PL OK.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapter 27:

Still a couple of background noises but not loud or distracting. Better than your first chapter. By George, I think you are getting the hang of this. :)

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapter 29:

The reading itself was just fine.

There was a soft, low background hum, the type you don't hear until it is no longer there. Hope that made sense. Not sure what recording software you are using, but I think it could be easily corrected on future recordings. Not serious enough to keep this section from being listed as PL OK.

I found myself wondering how long it had been since I had watched the movie, Tom Sawyer. Will have to revisit my childhood again.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapter 33 is now amongst the PL OK assembly.

Lomond
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lomond wrote: November 13th, 2018, 9:14 pm Greetings -

Chapter 33 is now amongst the PL OK assembly.

Lomond
This project is moving along amazingly quickly and well. Thanks for the excellent PLing Lomond! And thanks to all the readers. :thumbs: and of course to our great BC !! Tom would be proud
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Ready for PL
Uploading tomsawyer_30_128kb.mp3
Duration 21:22

I got an error
SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

I guess I'm not Ready for PL
unless you can use this alternative URL http://blane.aden.mckoy.s3.amazonaws.com/tomsawyer_30_128kb.mp3

.B.A.M.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

blaneadenmckoy wrote: November 14th, 2018, 1:00 am Ready for PL
Uploading tomsawyer_30_128kb.mp3
Duration 21:22

I got an error
SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

I guess I'm not Ready for PL
unless you can use this alternative URL http://blane.aden.mckoy.s3.amazonaws.com/tomsawyer_30_128kb.mp3

.B.A.M.
hI bam .... relax, this will work out fine. are you using the procedure shown in the first post?
Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Try this and let us know. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

lomond wrote: November 13th, 2018, 8:34 pm Greetings -

Chapter 29:

The reading itself was just fine.

There was a soft, low background hum, the type you don't hear until it is no longer there. Hope that made sense. Not sure what recording software you are using, but I think it could be easily corrected on future recordings. Not serious enough to keep this section from being listed as PL OK.

I found myself wondering how long it had been since I had watched the movie, Tom Sawyer. Will have to revisit my childhood again.

Lomond
Lomond
thanks, and sorry for the low hum. I was afraid my room and configuration would not be quiet enough but I don't have experience to compare to. I am using Audacity, and I did a LIGHT noise reduction (4dB I believe) but could reprocess the raw if you feel a more aggressive filtering would be advised. I haven't tested all the parameters of their noise filter...

I'm afraid chapter 30 will be the same.

I'm happy to re-filter if you'd advise I try it. (Hoping I don't have to re-record but will do that if necessary).
Thanks

.B.A.M.
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Phil
I tried again and it worked fine. I have a feeling the problem was that I went to a browser that *appeared* to be logged in to the uploader (from when I did chapter 29), but perhaps I wasn't really logged in any longer.

Upload successful

ready for PL
tomsawyer_30_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/tomsawyer_30_128kb.mp3

duration 21:22

.B.A.M.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

philchenevert wrote: November 13th, 2018, 9:30 pm :thumbs: and of course to our great BC !! Tom would be proud
Thank you, Phil. It is a little tricky at first (a couple days ago a glitch in the MW made me think I deleted 6 sections! :shock: ) but you kind of get the hang of it after a bit...just kind of.

Yes, thank you to all the readers- there is no way we could've done this without you. Your persistence, diligence and excellent recordings make up this project. A big thank you to everyone who is working on this project, we appreciate your hard work! :thumbs:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~