[Complete] Lives Of The Most Remarkable Criminals Vol. 1 by Arthur L. Hayward (ed) - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DuckTD

Post by DuckTD »

I had claimed 15 and 16 a few posts back, but didn't wait for approval. How do I know if I should go ahead and record section 16? Do I get an email if a claim is approved? May I claim 21 as well?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DuckTD wrote: December 28th, 2018, 9:34 am Hi, sorry. I got carried away with the downloading of software and trying to figure out all the procedures. And I ended up trying out a recording. I will check back for edits. It is 5 minutes and 38s long.
:thumbs:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DuckTD wrote: December 28th, 2018, 9:37 am I had claimed 15 and 16 a few posts back, but didn't wait for approval. How do I know if I should go ahead and record section 16? Do I get an email if a claim is approved? May I claim 21 as well?
I'm sorry I missed your post... life is crazy busy this time of year, with a revolving door of guests and I'm not my usual efficient (?) self. Please go ahead with 16 and 21.
DuckTD

Post by DuckTD »

Oh I completely get it! Thank you so much for giving me the go ahead on the other sections. :)
DuckTD

Post by DuckTD »

I have uploaded section 16, The Life of James Wright, a Highwayman. It is 4 min 11 sec. I uploaded twice, but they are the same. Please ignore one of them. :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals1_16_hayward_128kb.mp3
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

Hi Lynne, I'll take 39, 64, and 65.

Thanks,
Andrea
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DuckTD wrote: December 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm I have uploaded section 16, The Life of James Wright, a Highwayman. It is 4 min 11 sec. I uploaded twice, but they are the same. Please ignore one of them. :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals1_16_hayward_128kb.mp3
Thank you. The link in the MW automatically links to the most recently uploaded file by default. When I clean up at cataloguing, I will delete the extra file.
DuckTD

Post by DuckTD »

Hi,
I have uploaded section 21, The Life of William Colthouse, a Thief and Highwayman. It is 6 minutes, 11 seconds long.
Tracy

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals1_21_hayward_128kb.mp3
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DuckTD wrote: December 29th, 2018, 1:44 pm Hi,
I have uploaded section 21, The Life of William Colthouse, a Thief and Highwayman. It is 6 minutes, 11 seconds long.
Tracy

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals1_21_hayward_128kb.mp3
Thank you
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 15
Hi Tracy,

PL notes: 2 tech issues, 1 slight editing

1-At the end please remove:
"End of Lives Of The Most Remarkable Criminals Who have been Condemned and Executed for Murder, the Highway, Housebreaking, Street Robberies, Coining or other offences, Volume 1 by Arthur L. Hayward. (This is only included in the last sect.)

2-The bit rate should be 128 kbps.
BIT RATE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54FyB3wLpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vfXOVn9Ek&feature=youtu.be  

3- Your volume is 84.6, it is slightly low, it falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  
You can increase the volume in Audacity.
Last edited by HZFerr on December 29th, 2018, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 16
Hi Tracy,

PL notes: 1 tech issue, 1 slight editing

1-At the end please remove:
"End of Lives Of The Most Remarkable Criminals Who have been Condemned and Executed for Murder, the Highway, Housebreaking, Street Robberies, Coining or other offences, Volume 1 by Arthur L. Hayward. (This is only included in the last sect.)
2- Your volume is 82.2, it is low, it falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).
You can increase the volume in Audacity.
Helen

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Lynne,

Just an extra note on sect 14, I know you can fix the file when cataloging.
Helen

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

HZFerr wrote: December 29th, 2018, 2:32 pm Hi Lynne,

Just an extra note on sect 14, I know you can fix the file when cataloging.
Thank you, yes. If all is well apart from the file name, I can fix it and it shoul be marked PL OK (I’ve added a note about the file name in case I have a senior moment and forget). If there are other edits, the reader should upload with the correct file name.
DuckTD

Post by DuckTD »

Thank you so much for listening to sections 15 and 16 for me and providing feedback. According to my Audacity settings, I recorded both of them at higher dB levels than what you are registering. I am going to have to spend some time figuring out the problem; perhaps I need a better microphone? I am very new to recording, so I will look into sorting it out.

In the meantime, don't waste your time listening to section 21, as you will find it has the same tech and editing issues as 15 and 16. I will let you know when I have resolved the volume problem.

Can I ask if you found the readings too fast? Do I need to slow down my speaking?

Thank you for all your time.
Tracy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DuckTD wrote: December 30th, 2018, 6:52 am Thank you so much for listening to sections 15 and 16 for me and providing feedback. According to my Audacity settings, I recorded both of them at higher dB levels than what you are registering. I am going to have to spend some time figuring out the problem; perhaps I need a better microphone? I am very new to recording, so I will look into sorting it out.

In the meantime, don't waste your time listening to section 21, as you will find it has the same tech and editing issues as 15 and 16. I will let you know when I have resolved the volume problem.

Can I ask if you found the readings too fast? Do I need to slow down my speaking?

Thank you for all your time.
Tracy
Hi Tracy
Just stepping in here to confirm what Helen has said. And once you change the bit rate, it should stay set unless you change it (I say should, but sometimes computers seem to have minds of their own :roll: )
As for the volume, unfortunately Audacity isn't reliable on giving an actual output volume, or so I've found. It's great in many respects, and is the recording software I use, though. We do have some software called Checker, which was written especially for Librivox by the husband of one of our admins and is very good at giving the dB (it'll also pick up bit rate and a few other technical issues). It's free (my favorite word), safe (my second favorite word) and easy to use (my third favorite). https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
Just remember our goal is 89dB, but we can usually tolerate 86-92.
Lynne