COMPLETE [NON-FIC/BOTANY] Natural History, volume 5, by Pliny the Elder - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-5-by-pliny-the-elder/

Volume 1 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-1-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 2 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-2-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 3 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-3-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 4 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-4-by-pliny-the-elder/

The Natural History, volume 5 by Pliny the Elder (AD 23 - August 25, 79) . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley (1773-1846, 1816-1878).
Naturalis Historia (Latin for "Natural History") is an encyclopedia published circa AD 77-79 by Pliny the Elder. It is one of the largest single works to have survived from the Roman empire to the modern day and purports to cover the entire field of ancient knowledge, based on the best authorities available to Pliny. The work became a model for all later encyclopedias in terms of the breadth of subject matter examined, the need to reference original authors, and a comprehensive index list of the contents. The scheme of his great work is vast and comprehensive, being nothing short of an encyclopedia of learning and of art so far as they are connected with nature or draw their materials from nature. The work divides neatly into the organic world of plants and animals, and the realm of inorganic matter, although there are frequent digressions in each section. He is especially interested in not just describing the occurrence of plants, animals and insects, but also their exploitation (or abuse) by man, especially Romans. The description of metals and minerals is particularly detailed, and valuable for the history of science as being the most extensive compilation still available from the ancient world.

This fifth volume includes books twenty one to twenty five, covering the following subjects:

Book 21 - The natural history of flowers
Book 22 - The properties of plants and fruits
Book 23 - The remedies derived from the cultivated trees
Book 24 - The remedies derived from the forest trees
Book 25 - The natural history of the wild plants

(Summary from Wikipedia, adapted by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (but there are links to the specific chapters in the MW below!):
    Books 21 to 23 - https://archive.org/details/naturalhistoryp02bostgoog/page/n6
    Books 24 and 25 - https://archive.org/details/naturalhistoryof05plinrich/page/n5
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Pliny the Elder) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder
  7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_History_(Pliny)
  8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
  9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  10. Original publication date (if known):
  11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature

Keywords that describe the book: nature, animals, reference

============================================

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Please, do not read the footnotes, but do read the titles of chapters! Thanks! :)

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Section [number] of The Natural History, volume 5. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    " The Natural History, volume 5 , by Pliny the Elder . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley. Section [number] Book [number], Chapters [number] to [number]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of section [number]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Natural History, volume 5 , by Pliny the Elder . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley "
Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
naturalhistoryvolume5_##_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. naturalhistoryvolume5_01_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] (e.g. 01 - Book 21, Chapters 1-7)
Artist: Pliny the Elder
Album: The Natural History, volume 5

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Leni on February 3rd, 2019, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
=================
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Good to see you back. I will set this up for you.

Edit: All set. Let me know if you need anything else.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much, Lynnet. It's great to be back. I will fill the MW now. :)
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ok, we are open for business! Looking for a DPL and readers. :thumbs:

Lynnet, we seem to have three sections too much at the end of the window. Any chance we could sweep them under the rug? :shock: Thanks! :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
Ephemerie

Post by Ephemerie »

Hi I'd like to do Chapters 72 - 109!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ephemerie wrote: October 18th, 2018, 5:49 am Hi I'd like to do Chapters 72 - 109!
Hello, Ephemerie, and welcome to Librivox!

As a new reader, it is strongly suggested you do the 1-minute test before jumping in a section (more information about it here).

Also, since this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Thanks!
Leni
=================
Ephemerie

Post by Ephemerie »

Hi Leni,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll certainly complete the test ASAP and post. I'd like my name to appear as E Jove Johnson. May I get back to you on my persona website link?

E
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ephemerie wrote: October 18th, 2018, 5:39 pm Hi Leni,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll certainly complete the test ASAP and post. I'd like my name to appear as E Jove Johnson. May I get back to you on my persona website link?

E
Sure! We are going nowhere anytime soon. :mrgreen: :thumbs:
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ephemerie wrote: October 18th, 2018, 5:39 pm Hi Leni,

E
Oh, and here is your reader's page: https://librivox.org/reader/12866
Leni
=================
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Hello!

I would like Section 10, please! I'll post a sample recording ASAP. I'm new to audio narration, but I speak/read Latin and am a fan of Pliny and his somewhat loose interpretations of science.

Katie Skupin
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Mobius wrote: November 1st, 2018, 7:41 pm Hello!

I would like Section 10, please! I'll post a sample recording ASAP. I'm new to audio narration, but I speak/read Latin and am a fan of Pliny and his somewhat loose interpretations of science.

Katie Skupin
Hello, Katie, and welcome to the project. Yes, please try the one minute test. :) Also, since it is your first recording, let me know under what name/pseydonym you would like to appear in the catalog.
Leni
=================
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Hi Leni!

I'm cleared to record via 1-minute test. May I still have Section 10? Also, I'd like to appear under my name, Katie Skupin.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Mobius wrote: November 26th, 2018, 1:20 pm Hi Leni!

I'm cleared to record via 1-minute test. May I still have Section 10? Also, I'd like to appear under my name, Katie Skupin.
Sure thing, Katie! Thanks! :)
Leni
=================
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

I would like section 2, please.
Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kikisaulite wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 6:05 pm I would like section 2, please.
Kristine :)
Sure, thanks for claiming!
Leni
=================