[COMPLETE] State of the Union Addresses 1861-1868 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

It's great to have you, Beau. Enjoy!
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

Section 1 is ready for review!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/stateoftheunion1861_1868_01_various_128kb.mp3

40.2 MB

43:59 minutes

Gary
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Gary. I have a few things to do but I'll listen and get you feedback today.
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

I volunteer for Section 7.
linny

Post by linny »

A slight delay is getting back to you but section 1 is PL OK! Thank you for your work and your additional claim. :thumbs:
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Sorry for the lateness of me getting my part done. I'll read it sometime within the next few days.

Brad
linny

Post by linny »

Brad,
Thank you for the update. :thumbs:
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I have most of my part done now. I have a question. At one point, the abbreviation "viz." appears. I know that this is short for "videlicet" which means "namely." But do you want me to simply say the one syllable "viz" or the full word? Similarly, when Lincoln is reciting a proposed resolution, the abbreviation "ART" is used for "article." Should I say "art" or "article?"

Thank you.

Brad
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Brad,
Great question and thank you for asking. Please read the whole word. If the listener was reading they would translate the abbreviation for themselves but as a listener we should do it for them so they don't get confused.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If I were recording it, I'd say "namely" for "viz." Very few people know what "videlicet" means.

I also read "for example" when I see "e.g." and "that is" for "i.e.", but I do say "et cetera" for "etc." because most people have heard of that before. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Something else I didn't notice before. At one point I have the phrase, "to an amount equal to the aggregate sum of ____ for each slave shown to have been therein by the Eighth Census of the United States..."

I'm guessing Lincoln had not fixed an exact amount yet. I'm going to simply say "blank" unless someone has a better idea.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Here is Section 2. As per my last post, I said "blank" where the _____ appears. It is at 36:35.

The total running time is just under an hour - 59:25.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/stateoftheunion1861_1868_2_various_128kb.mp3

Brad
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Brad,
'Blank' worked perfectly. That was a great reading. Thank you for taking on such a long one. I debated splitting it but whenever possible I have preferred to keep the addresses to the least amount of sections possible.

There are a few word changed which impact intent. Please let me know if you disagree with any of them.

13:45 word change - These notes, prepared under the supervision of proper officers, being uniform in appearance and security and convertible always into coin, would at once protect labor against the evils of a vicious currency and facilitate commerce by cheap and safe exchanges.
I hear chief

17:40 It should be observed that the sum of $96,096,922.09, expended for reimbursements and redemption of public debt, being included also in the loans made, may be properly deducted both from receipts and expenditures, leaving the actual receipts for the year $487,788,324.97, and the expenditures $474,744,778.16.
I hear $480,788,324.97,

18:25 - Nor could I give a summary of them here upon any principle which would admit of its being much shorter than the reports themselves.
I hear receipts which I’m not certain I would normally note but since this sentence is so close to the financials it could be confusing.

19:07 – Notwithstanding the cessation of revenue from the so-called seceded States during the last fiscal year, the increase of the correspondence of the loyal States has been sufficient to produce a revenue during the same year of $8,299,820.90, being only $50,000 less than was derived from all the States of the Union during the previous year.
I hear $8,000,299,820.90,

20:37 – please take a listen to the length of the pause. It’s fine but I want to be sure you are happy with it.

21:34 The homestead law, which will take effect on the 1st of January next, offers such inducements to settlers that sales for cash can not be expected to an extent sufficient to meet the expenses of the General Land Office and the cost of surveying and bringing the land into market.
I hear July

31:49 - But there is another difficulty. The great interior region bounded east by the Alleghanies, north by the British dominions, west by the Rocky Mountains, and south by the line along which the culture of corn and cotton meets, and which includes part of Virginia, part of Tennessee, all of Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, and the Territories of Dakota, Nebraska, and part of Colorado, already has above 10,000,000 people, and will have 50,000,000 within fifty years if not prevented by any political folly or mistake.
I hear 50,000

34:16 - All are better than either, and all of right belong to that people and to their successors forever.
I hear equal

41:49 Let us ascertain the sum we have expended in the war since compensated emancipation was proposed last March, and consider whether if that measure had been promptly accepted by even some of the slave States the same sum would not have done more to close the war than has been otherwise done.
I hear expanded

Please trim ending silence to ~5 seconds. As players have improved the 10 second rule for sections longer than 30 minutes was revised. Now all sections, regardless of length, are 5 seconds.
linny

Post by linny »

Buchanan, 1859 has been orphaned: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71460
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Wow, that's well over my usual amount of errors! I'll get on those tomorrow. It's very windy where I am today, and the noise outside my window will be picked up by the microphone, so I'm not recording anything today.

It doesn't surprise me that I made an error on some of the numbers. There were so many of them!!! lol

Brad