[NON-FICTION] Story of a Loaf of Bread, T. B. Wood - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

The Story of a Loaf of Bread by Thomas Barlow Wood (1869 - 1929).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-story-of-a-loaf-of-bread-by-thomas-barlow-wood/

According to the author in the preface, he has "ventured to write this little book with some diffidence, for it deals with farming, milling and baking, subjects on which everyone has his own opinion." The earlier chapters give a brief sketch of the growing and marketing of wheat, followed by chapters on various aspects that impact the quality of wheat, the baking process and the characteristic of the final product, bread. The author aimed at making the reader realise that the farmer’s share in the production of the staple food of the people is by no means the simple affair it appears to be. (Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52824
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Crafts & Hobbies

Keywords that describe the book: farming, bread, wheat

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please, do not read the photo captions or the references to illustrations! Thanks. :)
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Story of a Loaf of Bread. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say: "The Story of a Loaf of Bread, by T. B. Wood. Chapter [number] [title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Story of a Loaf of Bread, by T. B. Wood. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    loafofbread_##_wood_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. loafofbread_01_wood_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Leni on January 5th, 2019, 6:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Leni
=================
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Leni,

I can MC this for you.

The MW is started.

David O
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, David!
Leni
=================
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hello. I would like to read Chapter 5, please.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 4:37 pm Hello. I would like to read Chapter 5, please.
Thanks for claiming, section assigned! :)
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I see this project is still waiting for a prooflistener -- if that is open I'd like to volunteer to be DPL!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

ColleenMc wrote: October 10th, 2018, 10:07 am I see this project is still waiting for a prooflistener -- if that is open I'd like to volunteer to be DPL!

Colleen
Welcome aboard, Colleen! :D
Leni
=================
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Leni wrote: October 10th, 2018, 12:36 pm
ColleenMc wrote: October 10th, 2018, 10:07 am I see this project is still waiting for a prooflistener -- if that is open I'd like to volunteer to be DPL!

Colleen
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

dlolso21 wrote: October 10th, 2018, 3:47 pm
Leni wrote: October 10th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Colleen
Collen,

You weren't listed in the database DPL list. I added you; you will probably have to re-set your workflow password.

David O
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim section six please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

2839reader wrote: October 19th, 2018, 2:55 pm Claim section six please.
Thanks for claiming, section assigned!
Leni
=================
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much! :)
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Chapter 5 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai