[BIO/CHILD] The Story of John Wesley Told to Boys and Girls by Marianne Kirlew - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Larry,

Two have volunteered to DPL this one. Please post in topic thread.

David O
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dlolso21 wrote: September 9th, 2018, 7:47 am Larry,

Two have volunteered to DPL this one. Please post in topic thread.

David O
Sorry, I've been travelling and missed seeing this.
Actually, just checking in from the airport on my way home.

Well, from the thread above, let's put in pattymarie as DPL
And I'll update my sig.
~ Larry
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

silverquill wrote: September 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Well, from the thread above, let's put in pattymarie as DPL
And I'll update my sig.
Done
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello,

May I claim section 20? I just want to make sure that I got the chapter right. :mrgreen: Chapter 20 is on page 86 on Gutenberg and starts with "A very old school.—The first Methodist Chapel.—Well done, Bristol!—Empty purses.—How they were filled.—The penny-a-week rule."

Thanks! :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll sign up for chapter 22. There is a song there, written in four-part harmony. I, no matter how talented some may think me, cannot actually sing four-part harmony all by my lonesome. So I could do one of two things:
  1. I could simply sing the melody acapella, or
  2. I could sing the melody along with a piano recording of all the parts together.
Let me know, Larry, which you prefer, or I could even submit both versions and let you choose whichever you think sounds nicer.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SaraHale wrote: September 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm Hello,

May I claim section 20? I just want to make sure that I got the chapter right. :mrgreen: Chapter 20 is on page 86 on Gutenberg and starts with "A very old school.—The first Methodist Chapel.—Well done, Bristol!—Empty purses.—How they were filled.—The penny-a-week rule."

Thanks! :D
I will put you in for Chapter 20. You have the right one, but we're not reading the chapter summaries at the beginning, so just start with, "YOU remember the school at Kingswood,"
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:25 pm I'll sign up for chapter 22. There is a song there, written in four-part harmony. I, no matter how talented some may think me, cannot actually sing four-part harmony all by my lonesome. So I could do one of two things:
  1. I could simply sing the melody acapella, or
  2. I could sing the melody along with a piano recording of all the parts together.
Let me know, Larry, which you prefer, or I could even submit both versions and let you choose whichever you think sounds nicer.
Hmmm. Well, I just assumed we'd ignore the music and read the verse as written.
But, hey, what I treat. I know there has been singing in some projects, so why not.
(Sadly, I took a part where I found out later that they wanted some lines sung. I tried, but it was so bad they found someone to pinch hit for me).

I think it would be best to have just voice without any piano. So, give it a go!
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, chapter 37 contains a facsimile of a letter written from John Wesley to a woman who lived in a town where he preached. It's actually pretty cool, but I found it difficult to read, and the text of it is not typed out for us, so we have to struggle to figure it out on our own. I took the trouble to do this, and I got the following:
London
Nov. 13 1778
My Dear Sister
I am glad Sister Crosby has been at Beverley, and that you had an opportunity of hearing her. She is useful wherever she goes, particularly in exciting Believers to go on to perfection.
There is frequently something very mysterious in [the?] ways of Divine Providence. A little of them we may understand; but much more, is beyond our comprehension and we must be content to say, "What Thou dost I know not now, but I shall know hereafter." At present, it is sufficient for us to know, That all His ways are mercy and truth to those that love Him.
Even in these troublous times, there is a very considerable increase of the Work of God. Cleave to Him with your whole heart, and you will have more and more reason to praise Him.
I am, My Dear Jenny, your affectionate Brother
J Wesley
I hope this will be helpful to whoever eventually signs up for this chapter. Anyone is welcome, please, to double check my little transcription.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:31 pm but we're not reading the chapter summaries at the beginning, so just start with, "YOU remember the school at Kingswood,"
:shock: We're not??? :shock: I read them for all four chapters I already submitted. Did you instruct somewhere to ignore those? Because if so, I missed it. Should I resubmit?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pattymarie wrote: September 9th, 2018, 5:03 am
I stepped in for the same reason, though I certainly wouldn't mind learning about the life of John Wesley. I'll go ahead with the four files Devorah (mightyfelix) has uploaded and post a report but still wait for Larry to take action before approaching the MW.
Well, having two volunteers is certainly nice!

I missed this while I was away for a few days, but from the ongoing discussion, it sounds as if it would be fine to have you as DPL. David has put you in.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:40 pm
silverquill wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:31 pm but we're not reading the chapter summaries at the beginning, so just start with, "YOU remember the school at Kingswood,"
:shock: We're not??? :shock: I read them for all four chapters I already submitted. Did you instruct somewhere to ignore those? Because if so, I missed it. Should I resubmit?
Well, that was my intention, and just assumed these wouldn't be read, but didn't clarify it, so that's my fault. I just added the note, but no need to redo anything.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:38 pm Also, chapter 37 contains a facsimile of a letter written from John Wesley to a woman who lived in a town where he preached. It's actually pretty cool, but I found it difficult to read, and the text of it is not typed out for us, so we have to struggle to figure it out on our own. I took the trouble to do this, and I got the following:
London
Nov. 13 1778
My Dear Sister
I am glad Sister Crosby has been at Beverley, and that you had an opportunity of hearing her. She is useful wherever she goes, particularly in exciting Believers to go on to perfection.
There is frequently something very mysterious in [the?] ways of Divine Providence. A little of them we may understand; but much more, is beyond our comprehension and we must be content to say, "What Thou dost I know not now, but I shall know hereafter." At present, it is sufficient for us to know, That all His ways are mercy and truth to those that love Him.
Even in these troublous times, there is a very considerable increase of the Work of God. Cleave to Him with your whole heart, and you will have more and more reason to praise Him.
I am, My Dear Jenny, your affectionate Brother
J Wesley
I hope this will be helpful to whoever eventually signs up for this chapter. Anyone is welcome, please, to double check my little transcription.
Wow! Well you have gone "above and beyond with this!" (And to think that there is a move to eliminate cursive writing from being taught in public school). Well, maybe I should just go ahead and take the chapter, unless you want it, to be sure we get this in. You have done a fabulous job! :clap:
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I wasn't planning to take it, no, at least not at this time.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

silverquill wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:42 pm
Well, having two volunteers is certainly nice!

I missed this while I was away for a few days, but from the ongoing discussion, it sounds as if it would be fine to have you as DPL. David has put you in.
Glad to be working on one of your projects, Larry. Could I claim section 37, it being the shortest, unless my eyes are missing a shorter one, for someone else to have to proof?
Pattymarie
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

silverquill wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:31 pm I will put you in for Chapter 20. You have the right one, but we're not reading the chapter summaries at the beginning, so just start with, "YOU remember the school at Kingswood,"
Thanks! Got it :thumbs:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs: