COMPLETE [ESSAYS] Twentieth Century Negro Literature-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Twentieth Century Negro Literature or A Cyclopedia of Thought on the Vital Topics Relating to the American Negro by Daniel Wallace Culp (1845 - ?).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/twentieth-century-negro-literature-by-daniel-wallace-culp/

The object of this book is... (1) To enlighten the uninformed white people on the intellectual ability of the Negro. (2) To give to those, who are interested in the Negro race, a better idea of the extent to which he contributed to the promotion of America's civilization, and of the intellectual attainments made by him in the nineteenth century. (3) To reflect the views of the most scholarly and prominent Negroes of America on those topics, touching the Negro, that are now engaging the attention of the civilized world. (4) To point out, to the aspiring Negro youth, those men and women of their own race who, by their scholarship, by their integrity of character, and by their earnest efforts in the work of uplifting their own race, have made themselves illustrious; also, to enlighten such youth on those ethical, political, and sociological questions, touching the Negro that will sooner or later engage their attention. (5) To enlighten the Negroes on that perplexing problem, commonly called the "Race Problem," that has necessarily grown out of their contact with their ex-masters and their descendants; and also to stimulate them to make greater efforts to ascend to that plane of civilization occupied by the other enlightened peoples of the world. (From the Preface) <br><br>

This book examines the following topics:<br><br>

1. Did the American Negro make, in the nineteenth century, achievements along the lines of wealth, morality, education, etc., commensurate with his opportunities? If so, what achievements did he make?<br>
2. Will it be possible for the Negro to attain, in this country, unto the American type of civilization? <br>
3. How can the friendly relations now existing between the two races in the South be strengthened and maintained?<br>
4. Should the Negro be given an education different from that given to the white?<br>
5. Should the ignorant and non-property holding Negro be allowed to vote?<br>
6. Is the criminal Negro justly dealt with in the courts of the South?<br>
7. To what extent is the Negro pulpit uplifting the race?<br>
8. Is it time for the Negro colleges in the South to be put into the hands of Negro teachers?<br>
9. Will the education of the Negro solve the race problem?<br>
10. What role is the educated Negro woman to play in the uplifting of her race?<br>
11. How can the Negroes be induced to rally more to Negro business enterprises and to their professional men?<br>
12. What are the causes of the great mortality among the Negroes in the cities of the South and how is that mortality to be lessened?<br>
13. What should be the Negro's attitude in politics?<br>
14. Is the Negro as morally depraved as he is reputed to be?<br>
15. Is the young Negro an improvement morally on his father?<br>
16. The Negro as a writer<br>
17. Did the American Negro prove, in the nineteenth century, that he is intellectually equal to the white man?<br>
18. What progress did the American white man make in the nineteenth century along the line of conceding to the Negro his religious, political and civil rights?<br>
19. The Negro as a laborer<br>
20. The Negro as a Christian<br>
21. Does the North afford to the Negro better opportunities of making a living than the South?<br>
22. What is the Negro teacher doing in the matter of uplifting his race?<br>
23. Is the Negro newspaper an important factor in the elevation of the Negro?<br>
24. Are other than Baptist and Methodist Churches adapted to the present Negro?<br>
25. The Negro as a business man<br>
26. The Negro as a farmer<br>
27. The Negro as an inventor<br>
28. What the omen?<br>
29. Why the Negro race survives<br>
30. The signs of a brighter future for the American Negro<br>
31. Negro criminality<br>
32. The American Negro's opportunities in Africa<br>
33. The Negro and education<br>
34. A Negro in it<br>
35. The Negro's adversities help him<br>
36. The American Negro and his possibilities<br>
37. Important lessons from the awful tragedy<br>
38. How to help the Negro to help himself
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18772
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Topic [number], [1st, 2nd, etc] paper of Twentieth Century Negro Literature. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Twentieth Century Negro Literature. Topic [number], [1st, 2nd, etc] paper, by [author]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Topic [number], [1st, 2nd, etc] paper"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Twentieth Century Negro Literature or A Cyclopedia of Thought on the Vital Topics Relating to the American Negro."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    negroliterature_###_culp_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. negroliterature_001_culp_128kb.mp3) Please note that the section numbers must be three digits, so don't forget to include the leading zeroes!

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by mightyfelix on November 13th, 2018, 9:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Devorah,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, MaryAnn! :9:

I'm itching to set this up right away, but unfortunately it's now time for me to go to work, I won't be home till after midnight, and tomorrow's booked. :(

Ah well. Stay tuned. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I was able to make a start on the MW, at least. I should be able to finish it tomorrow afternoon.

I'd planned to get a DPL for this one, but as I'm filling in the sections, they all look so dad gummed fascinating that I think I'll have to be selfish and PL it myself! I will be reading section 0, though, so I'll need to find a PLer for that.

If there are already any interested readers, feel free to start claiming, even though the MW is only partially filled out.

Goodnight! :D
msanfaine

Post by msanfaine »

I'd love to volunteer for some of these. I'll claim topic 10, sections 34, 35, 36, and 37. I would be interested in doing more if there aren't any other takers. It'll be my first reading, and the name I'd like to use is Feign. Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, looks like I'm all set up here. Turns out I only needed 100 sections, after all. I thought it would be 101. And in fact, I don't think we need a section 0, either, since it's not like we have chapter numbers that need to stay consistent or anything. So when you get a chance, MaryAnn, could you delete the section 0?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

msanfaine wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 7:01 pm I'd love to volunteer for some of these. I'll claim topic 10, sections 34, 35, 36, and 37. I would be interested in doing more if there aren't any other takers. It'll be my first reading, and the name I'd like to use is Feign. Thanks!
Welcome!

Before you record those, it's important to complete your one-minute test and get it approved. Think of it as a sound check, to make sure your settings are all in place where they should be. Instructions are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

When you've gotten that approved, please let me know, and I'll officially assign you all of Topic 10. :)
msanfaine

Post by msanfaine »

mightyfelix wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm
msanfaine wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 7:01 pm I'd love to volunteer for some of these. I'll claim topic 10, sections 34, 35, 36, and 37. I would be interested in doing more if there aren't any other takers. It'll be my first reading, and the name I'd like to use is Feign. Thanks!
Welcome!

Before you record those, it's important to complete your one-minute test and get it approved. Think of it as a sound check, to make sure your settings are all in place where they should be. Instructions are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

When you've gotten that approved, please let me know, and I'll officially assign you all of Topic 10. :)
Done. Here's the link https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Feign.mp3
Let me know what needs to be changed or fixed, and I will get it knocked out.
Thanks! :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks! This should have actually been posted in Listeners and Editors Wanted to be checked, but I am also able to check it myself, so I went ahead and did that.

First, let me tell you that I think you have a lovely, mellow voice that is a pleasure to listen to! Your volume is spot on, and you'll only need to change one technical setting, which is your bit rate. You didn't mention what recording software you're using, and different programs have different ways of changing these settings, I'm sure. I'm only familiar with Audacity, though, and for that, you'll set the bit rate when you export, or convert your project to an MP3. So if you're using that, then open up your recording again, and export it again (I need to update my version... I think some of the wording within Audacity has changed with the newest release). But this time, before you click save, pay attention to your settings. Right now your bit rate is set at 192 kbps. It should be 128 kbps. This is (or used to be) in a drop down menu next to the setting that says "Quality". Once you've changed that bit rate, then click save. That should take care of it, but just to be sure, go ahead and re-upload the new version and post it.
msanfaine

Post by msanfaine »

mightyfelix wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 12:01 pm Thanks! This should have actually been posted in Listeners and Editors Wanted to be checked, but I am also able to check it myself, so I went ahead and did that.

First, let me tell you that I think you have a lovely, mellow voice that is a pleasure to listen to! Your volume is spot on, and you'll only need to change one technical setting, which is your bit rate. You didn't mention what recording software you're using, and different programs have different ways of changing these settings, I'm sure. I'm only familiar with Audacity, though, and for that, you'll set the bit rate when you export, or convert your project to an MP3. So if you're using that, then open up your recording again, and export it again (I need to update my version... I think some of the wording within Audacity has changed with the newest release). But this time, before you click save, pay attention to your settings. Right now your bit rate is set at 192 kbps. It should be 128 kbps. This is (or used to be) in a drop down menu next to the setting that says "Quality". Once you've changed that bit rate, then click save. That should take care of it, but just to be sure, go ahead and re-upload the new version and post it.
Hey, there! Thank you for the prompt feedback! I've changed the bit speed and here is the current link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Feign2.mp3
I did upload the first link in the other forum, too, the instructions just says to upload it here also - if I had already claimed a section. Thanks for that catch! I am using Adobe Audition, a Rode USB mic, and a Windows PC. And, I will also update in the other forum. Thank you sooo much! :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hah! I'd forgotten that little instruction. Anyway, everything is good to go now, and I've just assigned you all of Topic 10. Enjoy!

Note that I did a very slight re-numbering of sections since your initial claim, so the sections are now different. You have 35-38.

Let me know if any questions arise. I look forward to hearing it! :D
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'll read 8 Topic 2, Second Paper, by Bishop L. H. Holsey WILL IT BE POSSIBLE FOR THE NEGRO TO ATTAIN, IN THIS COUNTRY, UNTO THE AMERICAN TYPE OF CIVILIZATION?

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Devorah,
Do you want me to delete section 0, so that the MW starts with 1?
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: August 28th, 2018, 5:54 am Devorah,
Do you want me to delete section 0, so that the MW starts with 1?
MaryAnn
Yes, please. I thought I'd want a section 0, but in setting up the MW, I changed my mind. :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

soupy wrote: August 28th, 2018, 4:28 am I'll read 8 Topic 2, Second Paper, by Bishop L. H. Holsey WILL IT BE POSSIBLE FOR THE NEGRO TO ATTAIN, IN THIS COUNTRY, UNTO THE AMERICAN TYPE OF CIVILIZATION?

Craig
You got it! I'll assign it later today.