[COMPLETE] K. by Mary Roberts Rinehart - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Here is Chapter 15. Duration 20.01.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_15_rinehart_128kb.mp3

Steve Seitel
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
misspag

Post by misspag »

I would like to read Chapter 17. This is my first time to read; you can use misspag for the credits. Have I covered everything? I'm looking forward to getting started.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Chapter 17 has already been claimed two posts above yours - sorry the window wasn't quite up to date.

Would you like Chapter 19 instead? Or Chapter 23 is a nice short one too - you don't have to take them in order.

Also, you don't have to make your voice credit the same as your forum username, and most people don't. Think about what you want to say when you say "read by..."
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

gailtv wrote: December 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm Hi -

I'd like to read Chapters 17 and 18.

Cheers

Gail
Thanks, MW updated!
misspag

Post by misspag »

Hi,

I posted before asking to read Chapter 17, but it doesn't seem to be showing in the thread. I'm not sure if my first request went through or not. May I read Chapter 19 if it's not taken? Do I receive any kind of confirmation?

Thanks,
misspag
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You were answered, you need to check the thread for confirmation - it all takes a bit of time to get used , it's good you asked again, always ask if you get lost .

Beth said
Chapter 17 has already been claimed two posts above yours - sorry the window wasn't quite up to date.

Would you like Chapter 19 instead? Or Chapter 23 is a nice short one too - you don't have to take them in order.

Also, you don't have to make your voice credit the same as your forum username, and most people don't. Think about what you want to say when you say "read by..."
just post your response

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, I've given you Chapter 19.

If you "subscribe" to this thread you will get notifications when someone posts - it's the spanner icon at the top left of the page or an option below your post if you write something.
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 15 - PL OK! Good job, Steven. I just wanted to ask, because you read so very well, but your overall sound of the microphone is a little muffled. Are you adding compression to your audio tracks? I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the sound a little brighter overall? It might just be your microphone itself, too.
PlanZradio

Post by PlanZradio »

Good Day, today is December 14, 2018

My name is Steve, of Plan Z Radio.
I am interested in recording a chapter within the book "K".
Chapter 20 is open, so how I take a shot at that.

Thank You,
Steve S.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Welcome Steve! I'd be very happy for you to take in Chapter 20 of this book - but please submit a 1 minute test first to get the OK for your technical settings. I love books - computers not so much.

Once you have been given the OK by the tech people, then come back here and record - all the information you need should be in the first post but if you get stuck just post here and I'll do my best to help! Be aware I'm not in America though, so allow for different time zones!
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

jenniferrd wrote: December 14th, 2018, 6:08 am Chapter 15 - PL OK! Good job, Steven. I just wanted to ask, because you read so very well, but your overall sound of the microphone is a little muffled. Are you adding compression to your audio tracks? I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the sound a little brighter overall? It might just be your microphone itself, too.
Thanks. I’m open to any suggestions on making it brighter. I'm using Audacity but don't really know how all the filters and effects work. I don’t recall using compression. Any recommendations?

It may be the microphone in the Bose QC35 II Bluetooth headset I used. The microphone opening is behind one ear, which clearly isn't optimal. I'll see if I can come up with something different and try that next.

Finally, if it's the natural huskiness of my voice, well . . . shucks. ;)

Thanks for your help. The feedback is very helpful.

Steve Seitel
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Steven Seitel wrote: December 14th, 2018, 5:00 pm
jenniferrd wrote: December 14th, 2018, 6:08 am Chapter 15 - PL OK! Good job, Steven. I just wanted to ask, because you read so very well, but your overall sound of the microphone is a little muffled. Are you adding compression to your audio tracks? I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the sound a little brighter overall? It might just be your microphone itself, too.
Thanks. I’m open to any suggestions on making it brighter. I'm using Audacity but don't really know how all the filters and effects work. I don’t recall using compression. Any recommendations?

It may be the microphone in the Bose QC35 II Bluetooth headset I used. The microphone opening is behind one ear, which clearly isn't optimal. I'll see if I can come up with something different and try that next.

Steve Seitel
It's probably just the microphone, but there are a few things you can do to boost the overall levels, you just need to be be mindful that you're potentially introducing extra noise when you do this and the volume will increase, and you may have to reduce the overall volume of the entire piece (you can use Checker to check the overall volume level).

I played around with the file on my computer (I can't upload it for you to hear, but you're welcome to try it on your file to see if you like it):
I added a compressor to the entire track after noise removal with these levels -
Click on Effects: Compressor, and keep the settings on:

Threshold = -18db
Noise Floor = -40db
Ratio = 3.6:1
Attack Time = 1.82 secs
Release Time = 11.1 secs
Then click ok.

Then click:
Effects: Equalization, select 'Bass Boost' from the drop down menu and press OK. Leave the setting as 9db, click ok, then do the same thing with 'Treble Boost'. I then had to reduce the overall volume to get it to 89 dB. It brings your voice up a little more. You can play around with it if you'd like to.

Any yes, I love the natural huskiness of your voice!
PlanZradio

Post by PlanZradio »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/K_chapter_20-f1_minutes_test-128k.mp3

Using Cool Edit on a windows machine, OS = XP, Analog mic, condenser using a tube preamp, Wheatstone SP-6 mixing console.
the test was just a rehearsal, so there is background noise that I am aware of.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

jenniferrd wrote: December 14th, 2018, 5:28 pm
Steven Seitel wrote: December 14th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Steve Seitel
It's probably just the microphone, but there are a few things you can do to boost the overall levels, you just need to be be mindful that you're potentially introducing extra noise when you do this and the volume will increase, and you may have to reduce the overall volume of the entire piece (you can use Checker to check the overall volume level).

I played around with the file on my computer (I can't upload it for you to hear, but you're welcome to try it on your file to see if you like it):
I added a compressor to the entire track after noise removal with these levels -
Click on Effects: Compressor, and keep the settings on:

Threshold = -18db
Noise Floor = -40db
Ratio = 3.6:1
Attack Time = 1.82 secs
Release Time = 11.1 secs
Then click ok.

Then click:
Effects: Equalization, select 'Bass Boost' from the drop down menu and press OK. Leave the setting as 9db, click ok, then do the same thing with 'Treble Boost'. I then had to reduce the overall volume to get it to 89 dB. It brings your voice up a little more. You can play around with it if you'd like to.

Any yes, I love the natural huskiness of your voice!

Many thanks. I'll try those ideas. Should I repost? FWIW, I've also ordered a better stand mike for next time.

Steve Seitel
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I wouldn't think a repost is necessary - much better to record a new chapter! We are many of us making improvements and refining our technique as we go!