[COMPLETE] An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book II by John Locke (1632 - 1704). - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book II by John Locke (1632 - 1704).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/an-essay-concerning-human-understanding-book-ii-by-john-locke/

Project completion date: March 16, 2019
John Locke was interested in the thinking soul. If he had named his book An Essay on Language is wouldn't have generated so much interest. Here's are some quotes from the book.
I see no reason to believe, that the soul thinks before the senses have furnished it with ideas to think on. The dreams of sleeping men are, as I take it, all made up of the waking man's ideas, though for the most part oddly put together. Can the soul think, and not the man, or a man think, and not be conscious of it? Suppose the soul of Castor separated, during his sleep, from his body, to think apart. Let us suppose too, that it chooses for its scene of thinking the body of another man, v. g. Pollux, who is sleeping without a soul. Nobody can imagine that his soul can think, or move a body at Oxford, whilst he is at London. The question is, whether if the same substance which thinks, be changed, it can be the same person; or, remaining the same, it can be different persons? Whiteness and coldness are no more in snow than pain is.
John Locke wrote four essays on human (or humane) understanding. The first and second have been recorded into LibriVox. This recording is a repetition of the second of Locke's Essays. All four are available from Hathi Trust. All of his essays were, and are, very influential. Edward Stillingfleet 1635-1699 (Bishop of Worcester) wrote a Critique of Locke’s ideas and many letters to him. Locke’s Essays inspired Gottfried Leibniz (1646-1716) to write his New Essays Concerning Human Understanding and Victor Cousin analyzed all four books in his 1834 Elements of Psychology. (Craig Campbell)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=iau.31858034136816;view=1up;seq=163 This leads to the first part of the book.
      https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=iau.31858011031923;view=1up;seq=23 This leads to the second part of the book.
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Psychology; *Non-fiction/Religion; *Non-fiction/Education; *Non-fiction/Philosophy

Keywords that describe the book: knowledge, philosophy, religion, psychology, ideas, perception, thinking

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

There are two volumes of Locke's work that comprise the first and second essay - Two different book links are available. No need to read the notes. Just read the text except for the long note about the Bishop of Worcester which is in the MW. Please read Chapter numbers when you come across them and section numbers as you read the chapter. Thanks.
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book II by John Locke This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say: "[Title in MW] For example Chapter 1 Of Ideas in general, and their Originall"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book II by John Locke. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      humanunderstandingvol2_##_locke_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. humanunderstandingvol2_01_locke_128kb.mp3)

ID tags are no longer necessary. The system adds them.
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: John Locke
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding vol. II

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by soupy on January 8th, 2019, 8:22 am, edited 12 times in total.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this up for you, I'll be back in a little bit with a MW :D

ETA:

There we go! I'd be happy to shorten the filenames to humanunderstandingvol2 or something like that -- the more characters we type, the bigger the chance that typos creep in. But if you prefer them the way they are, I'm ok with that too. :)

Please holler if you need anything. We'll stay here for a few days before we move over to Readers Wanted
Kathrine
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Craig,

May I please read Section 1?

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 1 is yours Pam. Thanks

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

OK kathrinee I think I have it all set up. Take a look and see what you think.

I don't type the file name in. I just copy the link information and change the number.

I could call it lockeessay2

Craig

Thanks for setting it up.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Craig,

Section 1 is ready for PL:

39:57

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/humanunderstandingvol2_01_locke_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 1 was very well read Pam :thumbs:

I noticed I left out the author in the first intro

Beginning "Section [number] of An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book II by John Locke This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

I remedied that. Can you add by John Locke to your intro.

3:32 4 forgot Secondly

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Craig for the careful PL!

Will fix both,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

soupy wrote: August 10th, 2018, 7:05 pm OK kathrinee I think I have it all set up. Take a look and see what you think.

I don't type the file name in. I just copy the link information and change the number.

I could call it lockeessay2

Craig

Thanks for setting it up.
Craig, the MW looks great to me :) I'm happy with the file name the way it is now.

Are you DPLing this project, too? If so, I'll enter you behind the scenes :)

I'll move us out of the Launch Pad tomorrow sometime
Kathrine
soupy

Post by soupy »

Sure I'll DPL - It will be interesting to listen to it.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

soupy wrote: August 12th, 2018, 3:50 am Sure I'll DPL - It will be interesting to listen to it.

Craig
Great! You're added as DPL as well as BC. Hang on tight, lets fly over to Reader's Wanted :thumbs:
Kathrine
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Craig,

Section 1 is ready for Spot Pl:

40:00

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/humanunderstandingvol2_01_locke_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Pam.

It seems that you must have read the other fountain twice after the correction at 332.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Sorry, Craig!

Will fix,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Craig,

Section 1 is up again for Spot Pl:

39:59

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/humanunderstandingvol2_01_locke_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson