COMPLETE: Insect Adventures by Fabre/Zimm - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Insect Adventures by Jean-Henri Fabre (1823 - 1915) and Louise Seymour Hasbrouck Zimm (1883-1967). Translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921) [

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/insect-adventures-by-jean-henri-fabre/

[]color=#BF0000]PD only for USA or Life + 50 countries!
[/color]

Volunteers outside the USA: Louise Seymour Hasbrouck Zimm died in 1967. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies.
This book is composed of selections from Alexander Teixeira de Mattos’ Translation of Fabre’s “Souvenirs Entomologiques,” retold for children. It's made up of first-person narratives, and gives us a close-up peep into the world of insects, including bees, wasps, worms, beetles, moths, and spiders, to name a few. When Fabre first published this work, as the Preface indicates, he was criticized by some scientists in his field for writing a scientific book that was "too interesting." ( Devorah Allen)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45812
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/Science

Keywords that describe the book: nature, children, science, insects, spiders, worms, biology, bees, moths, beetles, ants, bugs, flies, entomology, caterpillars, wasps

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Insect Adventures. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Insect Adventures, by Jean-Henri Fabre; selectons from the Alexander Teixeira de Mattos' translation, retold by Louise Seymour Hasbrouck [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "Insect Adventures, by Jean-Henri Fabre; selectons from the Alexander Teixeira de Mattos' translation, retold by Louise Seymour Hasbrouck"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      insectadventures_##_fabre_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. insectadventures_01_fabre_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Jean-Henri Fabre
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Insect Adventures

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by mightyfelix on June 28th, 2018, 9:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I believe that this is ok for Life+50 countries, and have added a line to that effect in the first post. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC for you. Just curious, where did you find the date of death for Louise Zimm? I tried to confirm, but didn't find it. With a 1967 dod, you are correct, this is OK for U. S. readers and folks from life plus 50 countries.

ETA I think the intro needs to be changed to more accurately reflect the title. Something like

Insect adventures, by J. Henri Fabre; selectons from the Alexander Teixeira de Mattos' translation, retold by Louise Seymour Hasbrouck
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I found it here: http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-nr98035396/

On the right side of the page, there are alternate names given. Some of them have a death date.

I'll fix the intro. Thanks for pointing it out. And I'll get started filling in the MW.
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Looking for a DPL?

Lomond
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lomond wrote: June 28th, 2018, 9:06 pm Greetings -

Looking for a DPL?

Lomond
Sure, welcome aboard!

And with that, I think we're ready for Readers Wanted!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Done!
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Looks like you could use someone to get this one started. I'd like to read chapters 15 & 16 --

"The Great Peacock Moths" and "The Truffle-Hunting Beetle"

:)
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 30th, 2018, 4:06 pm Looks like you could use someone to get this one started. I'd like to read chapters 15 & 16 --

"The Great Peacock Moths" and "The Truffle-Hunting Beetle"

:)
Thanks, I'll sign you up!
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

May I claim section 1 My First Pond? Also please tell me how to pronounce "Teixeira" for the intro. Its a very interesting book except for the spiders! Just happens to be the one thing that gives me the creeps!
Thank you
AnnaLisa56
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Annalisa56 wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 5:16 am May I claim section 1 My First Pond? Also please tell me how to pronounce "Teixeira" for the intro. Its a very interesting book except for the spiders! Just happens to be the one thing that gives me the creeps!
Thank you
AnnaLisa56
I would if I could! I was planning to Google that particular name for the section I'm sure I'll read sooner or later. I can't give you any better advice than that, unfortunately!

I'll sign you up shortly. Thanks! :)
rona890

Post by rona890 »

Hello,

Can I claim sections 11 & 12? Thank you!!

-rona
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Annalisa56 wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 5:16 am Also please tell me how to pronounce "Teixeira" for the intro.
Getting ready to read my sections, so I looked this up.

https://forvo.com/search/Teixeira/
Jo
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Thank you! I try to pronounce people's names correctly. I appreciate you looking that up.
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, indeed, thank you, Jo! I found this for Fabre as well: http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Jean-Henri%20Fabre

I have updated the MW to reflect all new claims. I also gave myself the section on tarantulas. :D