COMPLETE: Insect Adventures by Fabre/Zimm - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

May I claim 23, 24, and 25?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

msfry wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 8:10 pm May I claim 23, 24, and 25?
All yours!

I don't know whether you've looked these over yet, but there is this odd little mathematical formula for a catenary line given in chapter 25:
1 + 1/1 + 1/(1.2) + 1/(1.2.3) + 1/(1.2.3.4) + 1/(1.2.3.4.5) + etc.
That doesn't look like any math I've ever seen, and I'm afraid I don't have any pointers on how to read it, so don't ask! :lol: Seriously though, however you tackle it will be fine, I'm sure. I even found a wikipedia page on catenaries, which gives dozens of formulas, but nothing that looks like that one, so I'm stumped. The wikipedia page is here, if you're interested.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Catenary arches. Fascinating! Thanks for the heads up and I know just who to ask. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

msfry wrote: September 26th, 2018, 6:02 pm Section 24 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/insectadventures_24_fabre_128kb.mp3 12:55
Got it, thank you!
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello,

I would like to claim section 18: The Banded Spider.

I am living in the UK at the moment, will copyright prevent me from recording? Please can you inform me about this, I am relatively new to Librivox.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,
Chad
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Horner94 wrote: September 27th, 2018, 4:06 pm Hello,

I would like to claim section 18: The Banded Spider.

I am living in the UK at the moment, will copyright prevent me from recording? Please can you inform me about this, I am relatively new to Librivox.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,
Chad
Thanks so much for your interest! I'd love to have you on this project, but I'm sorry to say that as long as you are in the UK, you would be breaking copyright law for that country by recording this work.

I do understand that figuring out all this copyright stuff can be complicated, to say the least. After two years at LV, I think I'm finally getting a handle on it. Here is a neat chart that shows you copyright lengths for each country. Since LV is hosted in the USA, everything we have here must conform to USA copyright law. (In general, meaning it was published in 1922 or earlier. There are some exceptions for newer works, but those are even more complicated and we don't usually mess with them.) In addition, all of our readers/book coordinators/editors, etc. need to follow the copyright laws of their own country as well as that of the USA.

In the chart I linked to above, you can see that the UK follows "Life+70," meaning that the book will enter public domain in that country on January 1st of the 71st year after the death of the last surviving author. Ms. Zimm died in 1967, so this book will not become PD in Life+70 countries for another 20 years or so. :( Now, if you were to travel to the US or maybe Canada or Belize or Hong Kong for a weekend, you could record it while you're there! :wink: Barring that, though, you won't be able to participate in this particular book.

I hope that explanation was helpful. I did take a quick peek at some of the other active projects going on right now, and all of the following are science-y stuff that are PD everywhere:

The Romance of Plant Life by George Francis Scott Elliot (1862 - 1934)
A Book of Whales by Frank Evers Beddard (1858 - 1925)
Elements of Conchology by William Ruschenberger (1807 - 1895)
Principles of Geology by Charles Lyell (1797 - 1875)
Micrographia by Robert Hooke (1635 - 1703)

Or I'd love to see you in another of the books I'm coordinating, which are all linked below in my signature. (Except for Faces in the Fire; that one's not PD for you either. Sorry about that!) Either way, I'm sure you'll be able to find something else here to interest you. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 25 is uploaded.
Please note the title in the MW is slightly different from in one the book, which is The Geometry of the Spider's Web.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/insectadventures_25_fabre_128kb.mp3 10:19

No problem reading the formula after talking to my calculus guru friend. It was easy.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks! It's in the MW.

Good catch regarding the title. I've just double checked, and oddly, the title in the Table of Contents differs from the one given at the head of the chapter. So I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks though!

I'm glad the calculus didn't give you any trouble. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Noticed an editing error in 25 so I fixed and re-upped it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/insectadventures_25_fabre_128kb.mp3 10:15
Slightly shorter time.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

msfry wrote: September 28th, 2018, 8:11 am Noticed an editing error in 25 so I fixed and re-upped it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/insectadventures_25_fabre_128kb.mp3 10:15
Slightly shorter time.
Thanks. I updated that.
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sections 3 and 4 have been nicely read and have been updated to the status of PL OK.

I enjoyed the section on red ants as I have been fascinated with ants for nearly six decades. How many times have I squatted to watch an ant hill or hole? How many times have I watched them faultlessly follow their trails to and from their homes? Obviously, Fabre was writing before scientists determined that ants use pheromones to leave a trail for them to follow back instead of memory. Still, they are amazing insects.

Determined to get caught up, I turn my ears to the next section.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapter 22 is added to the ranks of PL OK.

I like this quote from the book:

"Under the tyranny of hunger, we are all of us, beasts and men alike, ogres."

Hmmmmm.

Lomond