complete Jan of the Windmill by Julianna Horatia Ewing-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, the window was updated. So you may have any three you want.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

How about 3-7?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wonderful. They are all yours. Have fun.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
fshort

Post by fshort »

I am delighted to ask you if I can record chapter 8,9,10.
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Flornnce,
it is so so lovely. 8, 9 and 10 are all yours. I am so glad to see you here. I love working with you.
Stav.
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

May I do 11 and 12? I just got caught up on who is doing what in the MW.
Susan Ferman
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure. Have a lot of fun.
fshort

Post by fshort »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/janofthewindmill_08_ewing_128kb.mp3
Duration: 15:42

Two things.

At 5:15.5 - 5:16.5 I substituted the word "colored" for "nigger" Please have someone else do the original word if need be.

My eldest sister, born in 1927, was held over a vat of turpentine when she had whooping cough. She was probably about 3 years old. This was in North Carolina where they were still extracting turpentine from the (Loblolly ?) Pines in one of the counties. Most of the industry had moved further south in the USA.
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Florence,
thanks a lot. Well I see this is a sensitive point with you, so I go with what you say. And thanks for the interesting tidbit.
Stav.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Stav. Sorry to butt in, but this is actually against LV policies. I copied the following from the LV wiki at https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies :
Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.

The answer is No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
Maybe ask MaryAnn how to proceed?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi,
well you are right. I know the policy but did not think the change was very significant. Yes, I could ask Mary Anne. But it seems to be a sensitive point with Florence so I figured out I cannot make her read this spasific word. My logic was that inserting the word as it is supposed to be would cause more harm then good. So I agreed. However of course Mary Anne can overrule me.
Stav.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Stav and I are chatting by PM.
MaryAnn
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, I have to follow the rules...
Florence, if you cannot read the word, what would you like to do?
A. Have someone else read the intire paragraph.
B. Have someone else read the intire chapter.
It is your choice.
Stav.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot.