[COMPLETE] Violet Osborne by Emily Ponsonby-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I will just ask to be updated once in a while. Other than that, feel free to do as you like.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
MonikaR
Location: near Zurich (previously Geneva, Paris and Frankfurt)

Post by MonikaR »

cherylstewart wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:15 am Section 41 PL OK
Very nice Monika :D
Cheryls
Thanks very much Cheryl :D
schrm

Post by schrm »

...and thank you both of you, cheryls and monika!
:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MonikaR

Post by MonikaR »

Happy Sunday!

Question. I personally find the printing of the Chapters a little painful. There are always two pages displayed - or one depending on the format choosen - and trying to print, it cuts off more than 3/4 of the text! I have to copy the pages into Word and print it from there. Is there any other way of obtaining the text? Sorry about that.

Monika
schrm

Post by schrm »

happy sunday :-)

interesting question with several possible answers...

first, obviously, it depends on "how do you like to read the texts"?
you wrote, you print each of the pages - others may read from a tablet, smartphone, or laptop-screen.

so, my printer offers to scale pages and even offers the setting of printing vertical or horizontal pages.
so, i think, that would be the most obvious: check, if you can change the printer settings to print the pages fitting onto one paper-page.

next version of an answer or step to try could be, to use other software - but i doubt, that you are making these steps any less complicated.

so, how do you print the pages?
you downloaded the book as pdf and take a single page out of the pdf?
do you screenshot them?

there are several different options on https://archive.org/details/violetosborne01pons]the book-page on archive, to the right side:
https://i.imgur.com/v1TVUcd.png

eg, there are single pages offers.
maybe you find it easier to print these?

maybe I have some more thoughts later.
you can always ask in the forum section need for help or advice..others have another workflow.
me myself, I have to come back to my first thought: reading from a tablet is quite enjoyable and easier to do, I think.

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MonikaR

Post by MonikaR »

Thanks for your input. Yes, I screenshot from the pdf. I tried looking at all of the other formats with the same result. The text only version, to me, does not always correspond to the book text. Perhaps that's me.

I certainly make notes before reading, hence printing out. Same with my singing; always penciling in notes as per the conductor's instructions. Never, ever do I read (or sing) from a digital device.

Reading books in the past, the format was different and easy to print with a click. However, I noticed that the format as used here, seems to be becoming more popular. But this may of course depend on the books.

Any others thoughts are highly appreciated ;-)
schrm

Post by schrm »

yes, i understand.
and the results seem to be very good, indeed :-)

the problem is existing because of the book-sources.
archive.org is rather well known for long loading-duration of the pages, gutenberg.org closed access for germans because they lost a trial (the servers are located in the usa, so they claimed to follow us laws. a german court decided, that project gutenberg (/internet websites) has to respect the laws of germany. so pg had to close access for germans in general.
also, librivox ist somehow connected to archive. you can read about that when donating, eg.

maybe, that is why archive-books get more and more common.

did you try to right click the book pages?
they are downloadable as pictures - but that may depend on your browser, eg!
so that would spare you the whole step of screenshotting.

to be honest, i dont know of any other workflow than that. it is already a fast to do step to screenshot the pages.
i use linux programmes to make pdf, or take single pages out of it, converting them into pictures is no hassle at all - but screenshotting with a nice app is a single button press.
there are screenshot tools existing, but i can just recommend to look up on some pc and tecs related newspapers and websites like chip or zdnet.

i know, that powerpoint is a microsoft office tool for showing pictures.
maybe its easier for you to copypaste the pictures there.

also, to come back to your printer programme:
most printers have software, which allows you to configure the settings.
so, maybe, you are just a single mouse click (on a setting) away from printing without getting pages cut.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

good morning everyone,

just to note it down: i claimed section 36 and assigned it.
i hope i will be able to deliver it without months of editing..
:lol:

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Can I just make a few comments about sources to correct any misunderstandings Project Gutenberg is our favourite source because we know they have a legal team checking that the books are PD in the USA and because their text files are checked by people. It is unfortunate that a German court ruled that everything had to be PD in Germany as well even though it is an American website and clearly indicates as we do that non Americans need to check their copyright rules , so PG agreed to prevent German residents accessing their files - very sad for German residents I feel
So as the PG text file is not available , the only books we can guarantee are PD are scans clearly showing the publish date which are not as easy to read from. MOst of these are on Archive - so we use them - it's nothing to do with the fact that we have a relationship with them. The text files found on the same page are usually just OCR (optical character scans) and usually difficult to read.
We will accept scans from other sources that show the publish date clearly and are PD in the USA. Some sites will let you download a pdf of the scan which can be used

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you for clarifying that, anne!
i will add this comment to my personal quotes collection.
this explains so much in a few words, might get to be quoted in suiting situations.

in the end, from a bc perspective: a bc decides to host a book, which he is interested into and he or she somehow stumbled over.
so, for some people it is just easier to work with archive books, or the german gutenberg project by the online newspaper spiegel.
but this is void for germans, only - i am austrian, and so i do have access to gutenberg.org.
to be honest, i think, most people here are just feeling some sympathy for archive.org, and stumble over it (and over possible sources there) once and again.
i feel that, for sure, and see the aspects of archive, which makes reading so easy: pdf downloads, online reading, sometimes even black and white pdf versions, "read this book aloud" as a first fast alternative to some "text to speech" reader apps, the unbelievably huge database (fullfilling most rules - just to mention a few)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MonikaR

Post by MonikaR »

Hi Anne,

Thank you very much for this explanation. Very informative and it explains a lot!

Monika
drandall

Post by drandall »

I would like to claim:
Section 12 - Volume I Chapter XII
Section 13 - Volume I Chapter XIII
Thanks,
drandall
schrm

Post by schrm »

drandall wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 1:26 pm I would like to claim:
Section 12 - Volume I Chapter XII
Section 13 - Volume I Chapter XIII
hi drandall,

i am glad you are interested into the violet-project :-)

welcome aboard:
12+13 are all yours!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim sections three and four please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
schrm

Post by schrm »

2839reader wrote: September 6th, 2018, 9:56 pm Claim sections three and four please.
hello again kathleen,

sections 3 and 4 are assigned to you (in a few minutes :-) )

thank you for your interest in contributing to violet!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275