[COMPLETE] Violet Osborne by Emily Ponsonby-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

Violet Osborne by Lady Emily Ponsonby (1817 - 1877).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/violet-osborne-trilogy-by-emily-ponsonby/
"This book is in turns funny and sad. Violet Osburn is a very beloved child with no financial problems. She is both beautiful and good, and of course she must be happy. Yet, as we learn, she is a manipulative and overbearing woman who would do anything to get her way. This book tells us about her life as a girl, and takes us through her marriage and motherhood. It is a pleasant read, as the book is so witty and charming and the descriptions are very realistic". Summary by Stav Nisser.

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):
      Volume 1: https://archive.org/details/violetosborne01pons
      Volume 2: https://archive.org/details/violetosborne02pons
      Volume 3: https://archive.org/details/violetosborne03pons
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
      BC:schrm

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard
      DPL: cherylstewart

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: ytJ8qpUq

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Lady Emily Ponsonby) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Ponsonby
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 42
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1865
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Romance; Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; Culture & Heritage

Keywords that describe the book: romance, love, upper class, tragic, intrigues, life of a strong woman

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Violet Osborne. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Violet Osborne by Lady Emily Ponsonby. Volume [number] Chapter [number]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Volume [number] Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the books, say (in addition):
      "End of Violet Osborne Volume [number], by Lady Emily Ponsonby. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    violetosborne_[##]_ponsonby_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. violetosborne_01_ponsonby_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by schrm on December 17th, 2018, 2:33 pm, edited 15 times in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi,

informations, maybe of use:

- this project has two bc! Stav and me
- we want to realize the whole trilogy in one project - 42 chapters, only one chapter is longer than 4.000 words (i have prepared wordcounts, the html/chapter links)
- we need (at least) a dpl, since the amount of recordings (finished at the same time) could sum up. (if needed, i will help with pl - that also depends on the wishes of our dpl in spe :-) )

--> let's make this happen!

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

I will dpl this project if needed?
Cheryls
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi everybody,
I am here. SO it is a three volume work. Please read volume number and chapter number before the recording.
SCHRM, thank you so much for posting.
Cheryls, I am glad to have you here as DPL. I love working with you.
Stav.

Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

miss stav wrote: June 7th, 2018, 10:17 am Please read volume number and chapter number before the recording.
hi stav,

i adjusted the intro and outro wording as follows:
book [number] chapter [number] - is that ok for you?

@ cheryls: welcome aboard cheryls, thank you for being dpl!

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hay,
it is written as "volumes" in the text. So I think readers would find it more confusing. How about we keep it as "volumes"? I want to make it as strate forward as possible for readers and listeners alike. What do you think?
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

miss stav wrote: June 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm Hay,
it is written as "volumes" in the text. So I think readers would find it more confusing. How about we keep it as "volumes"? I want to make it as strate forward as possible for readers and listeners alike. What do you think?
Stav.
good evening stav,

i didnt realize that and will change it.
the numbering should be (and i make it) constant throughout intros, outros, filenames and chapterlinks, i think.

edit: done!
(the tag section in the first post is regarded obsolete, i think?
and a question to our future mc: we should shorten the filenames a bit - or is it ok?)

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

No, file names should be according to section number.
schrm

Post by schrm »

miss stav wrote: June 7th, 2018, 9:04 pm No, file names should be according to section number.
morning,

isnt that confusing for readers and listeners, again?
when we count the volume first, then the chapter number, the order of the files should be ok?
is that a question for a mc?
anyways, that is changed in a minute, when we have a mc.
cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, look. We have to name the sections according to section numbers. This is the rule in Librivox. It is not something I invented... we just have to do it. The confusing thing is that in volume 2, the chapter numbers start from one and not from where volume one ends. It is the same book, not exactly a trilogy, because all the volumes were published at the same time. it was a Victorian habit to publish in volumes in order to seel them cheaply, I think, so that the working class would be able to buy them. Or so I understood from my BA in English.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

They could probably sell 3 books for more than 1 single one? And they may have had to pay in advance to have them printed ?
I'll set this up for you both , back soon

Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

From what I learned, three volumes was cheeper then one single book and more "fassionable" as working class people who didn't have time to read one single book could just take one after the other. This is also why books (like Oliver Twist) were Serialised in magazeens. They needed to attract readers. This was the time when people from lower classes started to read. Wow you didn't get into a good cornor because I really love Victorian literature and can write endlessly about it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK I've set it up.
I've changed a few things. I know you aren't used to setting them up so I will explain why and when we are ready to go to readers wanted I'll deleted some of these posts to tidy up
The title - its not called a trliogy - if you want to add volumes 1-3 I won't stop you , but I don't think it's necessary
The file names must be the section number - always for this type of project. And her surname is ponsonby , not Lady Ponsonby - if you use it as you had it the author would be filed on the L shelf not the P one :D (computers are fairly dumb)
So the intro needs to start "section [##] of violet osborne etc This first part is so the files can be flicked through quickly to find where the reader left off - we were asked to do this for players with screens. The rest is up to you.
(if the book is straightforward - 1 file 1 chapter you can put chapter instead of section)
The big problem with this is making sure people read the right section , so you must allocate sections not chapters - it's a good habit to get into for all projects - ask for sections and allocate sections

For the title fields in the MW I've added a suggestion, you don't have to use it but I would suggest you stuck to the Roman numerals for the chapters as some people are not used to them and may come up with the wrong answer especially for the higher values

Over to you now

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

miss stav wrote: June 8th, 2018, 6:14 am From what I learned, three volumes was cheeper then one single book and more "fassionable" as working class people who didn't have time to read one single book could just take one after the other. This is also why books (like Oliver Twist) were Serialised in magazeens. They needed to attract readers. This was the time when people from lower classes started to read. Wow you didn't get into a good cornor because I really love Victorian literature and can write endlessly about it.
There is never one reason for anything :D :D
My ancestor was schoolmaster in a very small country "town" and used to ride his horse about 30 km to a bigger town on Satuday to buy the new "magazine" (he called it a periodical) with the next installment of Charles Dickens and then read it to the family in the evening while his wife hemmed sheets.

Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I agree with you, Anne, except for the list bit. But the volume number must be menshened in the title collom as the chapter numbers restart with each volume.